Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 02:16 AM

127 posts, read 43,152 times

Advertisements

I always keep wondering if there are gains or benefits for being a racist. Does being racist makes one live a better quality of life, have things easily and makes one's life more happy and fulfilling? I really want to know because the division and destruction caused to innocent people and businesses by acts of racism is getting very alarming and I want to know if the benefits for being a racist surpass such negative aftereffects of such acts. Just a curious individual wanting to know what the benefits for being a racist are.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Meh...familiarity breeds contempt.

Shrug.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:19 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadyclem View Post
I always keep wondering if there are gains or benefits for being a racist. Does being racist makes one live a better quality of life, have things easily and makes one's life more happy and fulfilling? I really want to know because the division and destruction caused to innocent people and businesses by acts of racism is getting very alarming and I want to know if the benefits for being a racist surpass such negative aftereffects of such acts. Just a curious individual wanting to know what the benefits for being a racist are.
It is one notion among others being handed down by some, having their children grow up with this and other negative messages being imbedded, not knowing it is wrong, their environment steadily cementing these ideas.

I don't think individuals such as this feel that there are benefits to this or any other form of judgement against others, having been impressed upon to just "be right" and justified in behaving this way, their having been influenced improperly. Until and unless negative thinking stops being passed on and is eliminated, it will be a problem.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:21 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
I have a cousin who became racist because of the public school bus. He was the only white kid on the bus. Even the driver was black. Regularly they would attack him for being white and the bus driver would sit there and laugh. Parents talked to the school and of course the bus driver and the students all denied. His mom ended up having to drive him to school for his own protection. School districts were redrawn and the bus was more racially balanced. His hatred lasted for decades.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:34 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
I find MOST people that shout racist should look in the mirror... That is where it begins.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:31 AM

107 posts, read 46,219 times
Like anything else, it’s a confluence of different factors ranging from genetics to family environment to personal experiences with members of other races. Now I’m not saying that some people are born racists, but some people certainly have innate tendencies to be more fearful of groups outside their tribe. The reason I bring up all three of these factors is that any coherent explanation needs to explain why most children who grow up in racist households end up less racist than their parents (look up attitude surveys of southerners from 1970-present if you don’t believe me). But also why some people who don’t have racist parents end up becoming racists. My answer is that for certain combinations of personality, pressure from family/friends, and first hand experience is what causes it.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:00 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Why do some people become racists?
Pattern-recognition. Understanding genetics/heritability/evolution.

Quote:
Does being racist makes one live a better quality of life, have things easily and makes one's life more happy and fulfilling?
It makes you angry and bitter. And it is much harder to get/keep good jobs.

Quote:
Just a curious individual wanting to know what the benefits for being a racist are.
There are no benefits to being a racist. Just like there are no benefits to thinking pit bulls are more dangerous than labrador retrievers. Or that you shouldn't have a tiger for a family pet.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:27 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Racism gives you someone else to blame and scapegoat for your failures and failings. It means you blame someone else if you don't have a job, instead of accepting that you're too lazy and irresponsible to go to work. To demand handouts because you're "oppressed". To justify stealing from others, so long as they are a different race. To demand "reparations" for things that happened 150 years ago, over 100 years before you were born. "Racism" justifies banging and knocking up multiple women, and leaving as many children as possible with no father to support them and encourage them. Racism justifies attacking and killing police officers and people of other races, because they don't see them as human beings.

Racism provides justifications for attacking others with lies about non-existent "systemic racism" and "white privilege".

Racism is highly profitable though-just look at the income stream of BLM.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:31 AM

7,383 posts, read 3,539,248 times
I think the word racist gets thrown around all too often and it diminishes the experiences of people who were actually victims of racism. I could point to many laws that are on the books now that are well meaning but have unintended outcomes that disproportionately affect certain demographics. The laws aren't racist, nor the creators of these laws but we call it systemic racism even though most of the time it is the poor who are impacted not just certain races. I believe the word racist should be used for actual things like bias attacks or Klan meetings instead of politics.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:27 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
I think it's when a individual continually see's the worst of a group. If one lived in areas controlled by cartel gangs, and saw daily the ruthless violence they might develop some angst for people from Mexico, or Central America thinking that those groups are all like that. If one saw daily, violent assaults, shootings , drive by's , car jackings , etc they might tend to develop angst for whatever group is continually commiting these crimes, thinking that the entire group of people is like that.

If one got **** on , every single time a goose flew over them, eventually you are going avoid having geese fly over you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies