Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2020, 07:57 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times

Advertisements

People stereotype groups of like people instead of holding individuals accountable for their actions. In todays day and age though, you are perceived a racist if you don't like someone who is different than you. Ironically, those people are the ones that make everything about color and divide the nation while placing the blame on everyone else. Those of us that don't see color see everyone as equals.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. If someone cannot distinguish between those causing destruction and the average everyday Black person, there is a problem there. I've dealt with situations where people have personally done things to me, and I came out of it without hating White people.
Based on your posts to this forum, you seem to be reasonable, emotionally mature and not prone to absolute thinking.

Most people are aware of what is likely the single largest looting event in US history that happened overnight on 8/10 in multiple commercial districts in Chicago. Estimates are about 2500, mostly young black people engaged. Some of the criminals live streamed their activities and there is no shortage of video from retail cameras. It was a free for all and mostly all about the goodies.

On another thread, I pointed out there are nearly 1 million black peoples who reside in Chicago. About 99.75% of the local black population did not engage in the looting event. A majority has no influence or power over what a minority of a minority choose to do. This did not fit the majority sentiment of that thread.

On another thread, my consistent observation that most protests do not go sideways, turn into riots, arson, property damage or looting met with pushback. All media historically uses a “ if it bleeds, it leads” approach and don’t show then tens of thousands of protests throughout the US that did not go off the rails.

Seems to me social media, especially in election cycles, tends to be dominated by a vocal minority who use a broad brush to paint others and portray the actions of some as the face of Fill in the Blank.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:13 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Probably no diff than those told from the time they are born to believe people who don’t look or speak like them are:

Violent
Don’t pay taxes
Welfare takers
Lazy
Breeders
Illegals
Drug addicts
Drunks
Dirty
Criminals
The root of all evil in the US

It’s all about the broad brush.
I've heard every one of those said about white people. So who, exactly, are you talking about?

Old 08-26-2020, 08:33 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've heard every one of those said about white people. So who, exactly, are you talking about?
I haven’t.

When I hear the nifty little list of above categories they’re usually not about white people.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:36 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
If you state the facts about how bad the black community is in America someone would call you a racist.

Education
Family
Crime

Facts make you racist these days
Facts don’t make you racist. It’s usually the motive for stating them that does.

The “black community” in America has been technically “bad” ever since the founding of this country.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:59 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
If you state the facts about how bad the black community is in America someone would call you a racist.

Education
Family
Crime

Facts make you racist these days
Actually, it is WHY you are stating those statistics that would make you a racist. If it's only used to justify complaining about Black people as a whole, then that is a problem. Based on the interactions I've had with you, you've admitted that you want nothing to do with Black people anymore. If I was talking to my father or talking with someone who can talk about certain issues with a certain amount of nuance, then I wouldn't think "racist".

Old 08-26-2020, 09:06 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I know exactly what it means and I meant it.

I said what I said, ya dig?
Yes, and got a Lamest Post Ever award for the effort.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:14 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I’ve assuming you work largely with Mexicans.

I’ve had racist comments made towards me from them yet I don’t hate them.
It was over a decade ago. And it was largely Mexicans I was working with. I've dealt with racist comments from Mexicans while I was working at that particular restaurant. I eventually quit working there.

I don't hold it against the rest of the Mexican population. I am more aware that there are people in many different groups with anti-Black attitudes. I got to see some of it up close and personal. That I could go through that, and not become a racist or prejudice, it makes it all the more difficult for me to understand why some people are racist/prejudice themselves.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:32 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Much of the racist attitudes might go back to colonial times. It is striking that in former colonies there is such a huge market for skin whitening products, estimated at $5bn. Even companies like Unilever are selling such products. I just read a sad article on that, but it seems the BLM movement might bring about some change as people are discussing race again and challenging their attitudes.

https://www.rnd.de/wirtschaft/helle-...V5ERKABOQ.html

(It is in German, but in some browsers you can right-click and translate it to other languages.)

Old 08-26-2020, 10:19 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
I do not like racist whites, ghetto blacks or Indians. I've had too many bad experiences with these particular groups of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies