Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 08:23 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Surely we and the Neanderthals should have been able to co-exist, but we Cro-Magnons just chose genocide of Neanderthals, how racist of us.
The Neanderthals weren't killed off as a species. Though, undoubtedly many were killed (as many Cro Magnons were killed).

Neanderthals were genetically assimilated, and then their genetic contribution was selected down to the amount that exists within certain populations today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 08:27 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
We are the Neandertals.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:01 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times
Modern Humans didn't come from Neanderthals, we have a common ancestor. For whatever reason, anatomically modern humans experienced some sort revolution 60k-90k years ago and started to exhibit behavioral modernity, and we've been boss mode ever since.

No one knows why Neanderthals disappeared, but I doubt it was due to assimilation. I read an article a little while back that non-African humans once had 5-6% Neanderthal DNA and some genes were selected out over time. I'm not sure if that percentage is sufficiently high enough to support the assimilation theory. Eastern Eurasians also have slightly more Neanderthal DNA on average than Western Eurasians, which wouldn't make sense if Neanderthals were assimilated because Western Eurasia was the Neanderthal homeland and you would expect a higher Neanderthal contribution in Modern Humans there because their ancestors were in close contact far longer. Genetic intermingling was probably the exception rather than rule and probably happened relatively early in the history of Modern Humans migrating out of Africa, somewhere in the Middle East, when humanity's numbers outside of Africa was small.

There's also the issue that Neanderthals didn't possess the "Behavioral Modernity" that Modern Humans have, and likely would've have had issues with culturally assimilating into Modern Human bands. A Modern Human would've relatively easily adjusted socially and culturally from being plopped from one Modern Human band to another if that band accepted that individual. The same probably wouldn't have been the case for a Neanderthal being plopped into a Modern Human band, especially if it was genetic factors that spurred behavioral modernity and/or Neanderthals were just wired too differently.

My guess is that it was a mix of outright killing, slowly dying out due to being driven off the best lands, and possibly climate change that did Neanderthals in. They simply weren't as adaptive or adept at planning, tool/clothing making, and working in large numbers as Modern Humans and Modern Humans excelled in almost every category... except physical cold adaptation.

I could be wrong though. Seeing that Neanderthals never passed down their Y chromosomes or mtDNA to Modern Humans, there could've been reproductive fitness issues with the offspring of Neanderthal and Modern Human pairings, and only a small percentage of female offspring of Neanderthal male/Modern Human female parings and/or male offspring of Modern Human male/Neanderthal female pairings were able to pass on their genes.

Nerd rant over. Back your mud-slinging, ladies and gents!!!

Last edited by TylerJAX; 08-25-2020 at 09:55 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 09:12 PM

23,640 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Europeans and Asians have the most Neanderthal DNA, Asians also have Denisovan DNA.

We deserve reparations for having our ancestors killed off. Some days I can't even behave civilized or function properly, knowing what happened before I was born. Make it right with money so I can finally hold myself accountable for my own actions.

#NeanderthalLivesMatter(ed)

Old 08-25-2020, 10:24 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
The Neanderthals weren't killed off as a species. Though, undoubtedly many were killed (as many Cro Magnons were killed).

Neanderthals were genetically assimilated, and then their genetic contribution was selected down to the amount that exists within certain populations today.
No. The mating apparently happened about 60-75,000 years ago when humans first expanded out of Africa into the middle east. But humans retreated. When humans came out for good, Neanderthals were declining and humans outcompeted and/or killed them in Europe.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
I hope they don’t take down the caves, but I’ve already visited them.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
They need to seek reparations.
Lets hope they do not understand the concept of wealth then we can trade them for some bits of shiny aluminum foil for all their arable land and fresh potable drinking water.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:03 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Maybe we should pay reparations to their descendants???

Old 08-25-2020, 11:15 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Take a look in the mirror
And what do you see
Do you see it clearer
Or are you deceived
In what you believe
'Cause I'm only human after all
You're only human after all
Don't put the blame on me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies