Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2020, 01:05 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,799,342 times

Advertisements

In my subdevelopment we are forced to have 3 low income houses. 2 of them are empty because within the last 2 months the renters have been jailed. One for abusing her children, literally starving them for days, beating them with bats(14 years in prison) all taped by the oldest child, the other for shooting his girlfriend in the leg during a dispute. Their yards are easily the worst kept in the entire development, the houses are filthy as well probably haven’t been power washed in a decade. Everyone hates the low income houses. They cause nothing but trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 01:06 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,523,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But the point is you have to divide into different classes and you support that. That's classism. You are for classism but against it .
Oh, wait.....I missed that entirely! That poster is saying I reek of classism because I pointed out the detriment to higher-achieving students when they’re forced in with the slower kids, and then she goes on and on about the dIfferent tracks her school has! Foundation....academic.....gifted....blah-blah-blah. So she’s bragging that her school IS separating kids according to abilities, and then she says it’s snobby for me to say slower students and brighter students should be in separate classes.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:06 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Better? For who?
Better for everyone except maybe the .1%'ers

Old 11-03-2020, 01:07 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,132,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
You're carrying on about a bunch of who-knows-what. You claim yourself that a school has a 50% drop out rate, then you claim that the kids in that school are not low-achieving. That makes zero logical sense.
I never said that but I surmise you already know that.

The claim is that equating low income with low achieving is false.

I would surmise that in my actual high school, where families are affluent, most students weren't tempted to drop out of school to help support the family financially... they didn't need to. I also didn't say that all drop outs are high achievers... some are simply low achieving drop outs.. no sugar coating needed.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:09 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,446,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

I would surmise that in my actual high school, where families are affluent, most students weren't tempted to drop out of school to help support the family financially... they didn't need to.
Data does not seem to support your assertion of limited correlation between income and academic achievement.
In fact, the correlation seems quite high.

https://edsource.org/2019/poverty-le...y-finds/617821

15,074 posts, read 10,132,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Oh, wait.....I missed that entirely! That poster is saying I reek of classism because I pointed out the detriment to higher-achieving students when they’re forced in with the slower kids, and then she goes on and on about the dIfferent tracks her school has! Foundation....academic.....gifted....blah-blah-blah. So she’s bragging that her school IS separating kids according to abilities, and then she says it’s snobby for me to say slower students and brighter students should be in separate classes.

Definition of classism:

prejudice against or in favor of people belonging to a particular social class.

Placing kids into appropriate level of difficulty in a particular subject isn't classism. Levels of classroom in a particular subject in school isn't a social class.

And yes.. your posts reek of classism.

1,710 posts, read 1,466,151 times
Yeah I was listening to Fox News on a long road trip this summer and they brought this up. I think the basics are allow section 8 in the burbs or they full fed funding. Its like reverse gentrification?

What will happen is it will force parents to go towards private schools more and moving away if they can. Private schools will become cash cows for those who can buy them.

Im in a big Denver burb and the school districts are by county. Parents with money flood the section that has better schools and more affluent families. Meanwhile the poor areas just go down hill.

Its a dumb plan.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:

I would surmise that in my actual high school, where families are affluent, most students weren't tempted to drop out of school to help support the family financially... they didn't need to.
There are always exceptions (such as Ben Carson), but in general, the schools in more affluent areas have higher test scores than the schools in poor areas.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:11 PM

24,035 posts, read 15,140,782 times
Nobody has mention those owners of low income housing. We are familiar with the kind tax credits build.

It is such a racket they should be investigated by RICO.

And the local and state government employees are in on it.

The owners get tax credits, don't spend a dime on upkeep, then the federal government puts in new windows, door and HVAC systems and pretty much rehabs them The owners are making out like bandits.

Why are y'all high rollers in the high dollar neighborhoods worried? You republican city councils and state governments will not let it happen. All they need to say is it will diminish the tax base.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Definition of classism:

prejudice against or in favor of people belonging to a particular social class.

Placing kids into appropriate level of difficulty in a particular subject isn't classism. Levels of classroom in a particular subject in school isn't a social class.
Now you’re not making sense. You called me a snob for saying that it is to the detriment of academically gifted students to be in the same class as slower students (which results in a slower pace of instruction). And then you bragged about all the tracking your school has.

I think the lady (that’s you) doth protest too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies