Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 04:24 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
From a political standpoint, it is in Trump's favor to sit back and let the problem cities - and they are all Dem in largely Dem states - burn themselves to the ground and do absolutely nothing. Frankly, the Portland Federal Courthouse might cost $500MM (basing this on our large new justice center in my town). That's 1/10 of 1% of the annual Federal budget. That's how much money the Federal government spends each hour.

But he hasn't. He's offered help. He's passed an executive order. He clearly supported Tim Scott's bill. Cities like Detroit - and eventually Chicago - that realized they needed help have been better. Local Dem leaders that have jumped to the defense of the protestors*/criminals - be they "Summer of Love" SEA or "No curfew necessary" PDX or "Let me come dance with you and you'll live me" MPLS have not.

At the end of the day, "police" is a local issue. If it were the military, it would be a Federal issue.

I mean, one really has to wonder - the citizens of Portland and Seattle and MPLS must be OK with their city and state leadership, right? Or else THEY would be protesting about their elected leaders.

* the protestors are free speech and God bless them. But in SEA she let them overtake City blocks, in PDX he allowed violent protests and and in MPLS, well that one's obvious, yes?
This. So much this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 04:26 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's implied in your posts. When you excuse President Trump because his powers are limited, but then ask how Biden will solve the problem. Why is one President excused from solving the problem, but another is not excused?
I don't expect Biden to solve the problem. I do expect him to acknowledge it exists however, and how he'll help the states to handle it. If he wants my vote I want answers to this.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:33 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Have no idea what Biden would do, perhaps what any sane person would do.

Appoint a commission, support hearings, hold citizen group town halls. Figure out what is going on. How is it that people are being shot dead in their beds? Why so many "bad apples" on the police force?

Perhaps universal body cam use would help uncover some common threads.

Once you figure out what the problem is, you develop some solutions, and try them out. See what works.

But pretending that the problem doesn't exist or that more police brutality is going to solve the problem of police brutality is sort of silly.
In 2019, 24 whites and 14 blacks were killed but "unarmed" by the cops. If you simple read the details, if anybody has a problem with half of those 38, frankly they are a moron. So let's talk about 17, half of which are probably questionable, so we're talking about 10.

10 bad cop deaths where one might claim police brutality or wrong use of force.

If you'd prefer greater specificity, by all means grab the links and let's go.

An unarmed Black man, accused of robbery, approached by a female cop outside the convenience store he robbed, fights with her, overpowers her, and reaches for her gun? You're damn right that 90% of American are OK with the female cop using her gun in fear for her life, and should he get the gun and kill her and several others? You are damn right.

What is a commission and typical Congressional hearings and town halls going to do? They haven't done this already?

I am 100% for asking Black people: "How do we solve the problem of crime in the Black community, and help us understand how the relationship with the police hurts the community?"

Old 08-28-2020, 04:50 PM

445 posts, read 168,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Really? But Trump is sending federal agents into cities uninvited. Several mayors/governors have asked him not to do so. He therefore owns it.

The feds didn't need an invitation. The "peaceful protesters" were attacking a federal courthouse, which is under federal jurisdiction, not local jurisdiction. What part of that aren't you getting?

Old 08-28-2020, 04:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNam3 View Post
The feds didn't need an invitation. The "peaceful protesters" were attacking a federal courthouse, which is under federal jurisdiction, not local jurisdiction. What part of that aren't you getting?
oh damn. I've been badgering the wrong person for these multiple cities. My apologies to all Dems, not just DC at Ridge, for continuing to ask you to provide a list that doesn't exist.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:15 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
You can't work your way out of the fact that the mayors and governors are in control, not the POTUS.
"When somebody’s president of the United States, the authority is total," D.Trump

So why isn't he doing anything?

Old 08-28-2020, 05:15 PM

828 posts, read 416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Trump has created and built the foundation for the racial discord and once simmering anger, now boiling, that has revealed itself in cities all across America this summer.

Trump didn't build any border wall, but he built these riots, and he laid his first brick in Charlottesville, Virginia. If he gets another term he will keep pouring gas on his fires for 4 more years.

That clearly started with Obama and Baltimore.
The media attack started with Charlottesville. When Trump said there were some good people on both sides. There were some little old ladies that had donated their lives to charitable work. That want the statues to stay. Where they grew up.
How can you say these were bad people.

And then had Lib counter protesters that admitted they went there for violence and where even paid for it. This is what Libs now call good people.

Just like Hitler used the media.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:07 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Lol ....and Obama was responsible for Ferguson, Baltimore and George Zimmerman etc?

Hate to tell ya, but y'all seem to be doing your level best to justify Trump's sales pitch as being completely valid.

Not my words bro - just your glorious leader. His words from 2013 and his words from last night.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:49 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Yes! So funny that Trump is warning about possible chaos under Biden, apparently too dumb to realize that Trump's talking about his own chaos. (Or Spain's chaos, which is what some clips were.)

Old 08-28-2020, 10:47 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Yes! So funny that Trump is warning about possible chaos under Biden, apparently too dumb to realize that Trump's talking about his own chaos. (Or Spain's chaos, which is what some clips were.)
Trump offered to send in troops to quell the rioters. The Dem governors said no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies