Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 11:00 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,709,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Everybody hates Hitler. Trump is not Hitler. And if you are going to use the word "facist" (sic), learn how to spell it.
Thank you for pointing out my poor spelling. You've schooled me.

Now let me school you--PLENTY of people are comparing Trump to Hitler. Here is a whole article on the current riots as Trump's "Hitler" moment. From a podcaster creating the comparison:

Quote:
On February 27, 1933, the German parliament, the Reichstag, was burned down. Adolf Hitler, then in coalition government, used the fire to claim that the Communists were planning a violent coup and passed an emergency decree permitting his government to arrest and detain political opponents without trial, to disband political organizations, to confiscate private property, and to overrule state and local laws.

That fire, and the decree that followed, paved the way for Hitler’s Nazi dictatorship, for World War 2, for the Holocaust.

I’m not suggesting Donald Trump is about to make himself Fuhrer and kill America’s Jews, but I do want to ask whether the president is using the chaos and violence we’re seeing on the streets of the U.S. in recent days as an excuse — as an opportunity — to seize more powers for himself, to crack down on his political opponents, to fan the flames of racial and ethnic division, to push his fascist — yes, fascist — agenda.

And of course it’s always risky to invoke the Nazis in any discussion about an authoritarian or a right-wing politician. I get that. My producer Zach and I were discussing whether or not to open this show with a Reichstag Fire reference because people understandably get nervous when you make comparisons to the Nazis. There’s a kind of rule on the Internet — Godwin’s Law, it’s called — which, for years, has mocked people online for comparing their opponents to Hitler or the Nazis.

But here’s the thing: even Mike Godwin himself, the guy who came up with that internet law, says it’s fine to compare Trump to Hitler. It’s fine to call him a fascist. I mean, if the shoe fits, and all of that.

And look, people have been calling Trump a fascist since before he was even elected, and not without reason. I mean, his entire presidential campaign was based on walling off one foreign group of people, and banning another. He also incited violence at his rallies, threatened to lock up his political opponents, and claimed he “alone” could fix America’s problems.
https://theintercept.com/2020/06/04/...g-fire-moment/

You can go to the link and view the podcast for in-depth schooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 01:24 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,228,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
So, are you talking protests or violence...I was replying to violence.

"Original quote
This kind of violence and chaos is what the conservative pundits were predicting under Obama's watch. Didn't happen.......and now this.

As far as protests, well this was pretty big.

"Hands up , don't shoot" made it all the way to Hong Kong, into music, and many other things...Sorry I don't have time to look for any more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hands_...lice%20officer.

Right-wingers: The liberals are rioting everywhere!!!! All across the country!!!! They are waging war on everyone!!!!

Also right-wingers: See, there was this one protest that was pretty big that happened under Obama. See, they're equal.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Trump has created and built the foundation for the racial discord and once simmering anger, now boiling, that has revealed itself in cities all across America this summer.

Trump didn't build any border wall, but he built these riots, and he laid his first brick in Charlottesville, Virginia. If he gets another term he will keep pouring gas on his fires for 4 more years.
Worth reading again.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:29 AM

26,476 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Really? But Trump is sending federal agents into cities uninvited. Several mayors/governors have asked him not to do so. He therefore owns it.
The Federal Government has the right to protect federal property if the local Democratic leaders refuse to protect federal property within their jurisdiction, because they are beholden to the votes of the rioters.

Trump has not put in federal forces to put down the Biden-voter-riots against the will of local elected officials, only to protect federal property.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:10 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
"When somebody’s president of the United States, the authority is total," D.Trump

So why isn't he doing anything?
Good question.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:09 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Right-wingers: The liberals are rioting everywhere!!!! All across the country!!!! They are waging war on everyone!!!!

Also right-wingers: See, there was this one protest that was pretty big that happened under Obama. See, they're equal.

Wow, i know 2014 seems like a long time ago, but did you really forget how many riots, looting and protests went on ? I feel bad for you. Google is your friend. And the key take away, is the unrest, BLM, etc started under Obama's watch, period. It hasn't stopped. So, blaming Trump, like many do, just looks silly.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:13 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Trump's America was before Leftist misused a virus to create turmoil and economic shutdowns.

We see a preview of Biden's America in Left wing controlled parts of the country that are ALLOWING violence.

Old 08-29-2020, 02:00 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The Federal Government has the right to protect federal property if the local Democratic leaders refuse to protect federal property within their jurisdiction, because they are beholden to the votes of the rioters.

Trump has not put in federal forces to put down the Biden-voter-riots against the will of local elected officials, only to protect federal property.
This is ridiculous on the face of it.

In Portland, they wandered afar from federal property, pitched random people into rented vans, ...

Old 08-29-2020, 02:11 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is ridiculous on the face of it.

In Portland, they wandered afar from federal property, pitched random people into rented vans, ...
The only ridiculous aspect of this is any defense of these violent terrorists or further allowance of their destruction to the detriment of the adults of Portland, and the rest of the nation, who actually need to work and raise families in the city.

You have no defense. These terrorists belong in federal holding facilities until it is assured via law enforcement strategy, their debriefs, and their convictions that no more terrorism will be enacted on public streets. If they won't stop their terrorism, they'll be stopped.

Old 08-29-2020, 02:12 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAfan View Post
The riots/looting are currently going on in Trump's America.

Trump needs to do better.
So you are saying Trump and the Right have free license to do whatever it takes to stop these terrorists?

Or are Leftist terrorists, just like murderers, rapists, and other victimizers, responsible for their own actions?

Your propaganda is weak, like baby dribble. And desperate.

Your losing side, in support of terrorists, at once derides federal arrests of terrorists as well as blames the side that would arrest them for the terrorism of the rioters.

You people are so weak and scared at the moment, at the coming consequences of the violent actions that you support, that you don't make sense from sentence to sentence. Voters see you. Enjoy at least another four years of Trump. And after him, maybe someone even more serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies