Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 06:16 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
The U.S. uniformly has some of the lowest voter participation in the developed world. Do you think that half of voter age people do not care about the direction of the country? Do you think that voting is a requirement to express a political opinion?
Yes.
No, but if you're going to get into politics, you should at least do it at the polls.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:26 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
You always hear about sports figures being role models for people and the need for their conduct to be appropriate on and off the court. So I guess their decision to support the current social situation that is occurring in America is unacceptable to some because their alleged voting habits are comparable to the average American. It must be that being socially conscience is only acceptable for right wing approved events like showing up at a state house dressed like a bunch of back woods commando's to show support for the 2A or indirectly deliver a threat to an elected official......

Old 08-29-2020, 06:29 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 24 days ago)

27,638 posts, read 16,120,970 times
Bekuz racism yo

Old 08-29-2020, 06:36 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,383 times
I dare to say even less than that give back to their communities.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:41 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,860,337 times
- I'd be curious how they got their data. They said from the players meeting this week, so was it a show of hands or something? That's not too reliable.

- NBA players change teams so often that likely many haven't registered to vote YET for this election because they changed teams & moved to a new state.

- Chris Paul got his entire team registered to vote. I wouldn't be surprised if George Hill did the same for his team.
https://clutchpoints.com/thunder-new...te-in-meeting/

- I can almost guaranteed more NBA players are going to register & vote now after that meeting. Yes, they need to do a better job of voting.

- The Bucks made history yesterday when they did this.

https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/st...23681362436097

Quote:
The vote has formally been scheduled. An NBA team threatened to go on strike and got a dormant police reform bill into a scheduled voting session immediately. This is the power they are wielding and continue to exercise.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:43 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,069,127 times
Before condemning people for something I don't understand, it is prudent to find out the why.

Several of very informed and opinionated posters here refuse to vote.

One our senators was elected by less than 25% of the people eligible to vote in Texas. Many elections come down to that.

What percentage of people eligible to vote are registered? Then what percentage of those registered actually vote?

That 20% is not as bad as it sounds.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:45 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,860,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
I dare to say even less than that give back to their communities.
I don't know abut other teams, but in Milwaukee the Bucks are well respected in the community for getting involved. Just a few things in the last year.

Giannis & Middleton both donated $100k to Fiserve Forum staff during stay at home orders. The entire roster followed & also donated.
https://radiomilwaukee.org/story/com...cancellations/

Giannis donated $50k to food charities over Thanksgiving. He often serves food & makes visits to the site.
https://usa.greekreporter.com/2018/1...sgiving-video/

Players regularly visit low income schools to give inspirational talks & interact with the kids.

But hey, what do you do to help your community??

Old 08-29-2020, 06:58 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,310 times
If this was done by checking voter rolls in those states players work in, as opposed to live in, the dara would be faulty. Without knowing how it was measured, it’s a worthless opinion.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:27 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,408 times
Exclamation Only 20% of NBA Players Registered to Vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So let me get this straight.....NBA players care so much about the direction of this country, and so-called systemic racism, that they are willing to walk out of their games, yet they don’t even care enough to vote? That further tells me that BLM supporters are just about causing destruction and venting their rage against whites, and not about anything real that could make a difference in the lives of black people.

As an aside, isn’t there a lot of racism in basketball? They seem to discriminate against whites.

https://itsgame7.com/shockingly-few-...tered-to-vote/
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
The U.S. uniformly has some of the lowest voter participation in the developed world. Do you think that half of voter age people do not care about the direction of the country? Do you think that voting is a requirement to express a political opinion?
YES!

Talking and not voting, is the ultimate: 'Do as I say not as I do'! Mere words without actions are meaningless, like the difference between a fart and a crap, a lot of noise no substance.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:18 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Now you’re attacking me personally because you don’t like my opinion that these players are a bunch of hypocrites? Let me guess....,you’re another liberal. (The sarcasm, along with the personal insults, gave it away. Good indication that you can’t refute my point,)

Bye bye.

P.S. I have no idea what you mean that my post is “leaky.”

I already refuted your point. Voting is not a requirement for any of the claims you made, including contributing to one's community, caring about the direction of one's country, or voicing political opinions. Describing your post as mean spirited isn't an insult, but I guess that's what I should expect from a conservative. (You're a conservative right? I can tell from the victim complex).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies