Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 10:40 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,008,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The national anthem and the military (and expressing support of it) are inherently political it’s just a political statement you agree with.
The national anthem is not inherently political. The national anthem has never been unique to liberals or conservatives. The national anthem has been politicized. It is not political.

The US military is not inherently political. It has existed usefully under both Democrat and Republican governments. It too has been politicized, but is not inherently political.

Everything has been politicized today because the nation is catastrophically divided and polarized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 10:48 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I was at the mall, and every other store proudly displayed a BLM sign in their window - a logo with the raised fist in some. Don’t they realize that when they proudly exclaim their support of a racist hate group that some customers will refuse to do business with them?

I attribute their display of support for the hate group for one of two reasons:

1) They are liberals, and in their arrogance assume that everyone agrees with them
2) They are fearful of repercussions if they stand up against the racists
I went to a local bakery and they had BLM on their window, a raised fist and the words “No justice, No peace”. I left and will not go back.

There are many other shops that don’t get involved in politics or call for violence as that store did.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:38 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
BLM guy killed five Dallas Police officers, guess the Stars have short memories.
The problem is that the BLM, enabled by the Democrats, have demonized the police to such an extent that they don’t care. It’s only black lives that matter. (Unless it’s a black cop....then he doesn’t matter either.)

Old 08-31-2020, 03:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I went to a local bakery and they had BLM on their window, a raised fist and the words “No justice, No peace”. I left and will not go back.

There are many other shops that don’t get involved in politics or call for violence as that store did.
I did the same thing with Heine Brothers Coffee for the exact same reason. And, since the other coffee shop in my area had declared itself a political entity long ago, I’m back to making my own coffee, so it’s been an added bonus to the pocketbook. Any store that has “No Justice, No Peace” displayed is not a company I will enrich - really any store that has decided to do display political messaging. Places that rely on consumer goodwill should not involve themselves in politics unless they are just looking to automatically eliminate a portion of the population as potential customers. How do they not grasp this?

Old 08-31-2020, 04:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
From my understanding, it was the Federal Government that pressured sports teams to play the national anthem and support the military.
Pressured? No, the Federal Gov. paid the NFL to play the NA, and conduct military flyovers.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:35 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Let me guess, he is only going to pull in 41 billion instead of 42 billion dollars this year. I won't shed any tears for the sports and entertainment industry.
Well since the Stars were selling out with standing room only tickets being sold, I would say any loss would be minimal at best and eventually made up.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:46 AM

2,005 posts, read 762,185 times
Quote:
The national anthem and the military (and expressing support of it) are inherently political it’s just a political statement you agree with.
That’s patriotism not politics.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:47 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Great to hear you don't want military discounts and the national anthem then.

Nothing political about either of those things.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:49 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous, period.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:59 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Pressured? No, the Federal Gov. paid the NFL to play the NA, and conduct military flyovers.
They don’t pay them, they just don’t charge them for it. The military justifies it as training time for pilots and recruiting. It is very expensive.
Quote:
The U.S. Navy and Air Force issued a joint statement that the flyovers incurred taxpayers “no additional cost” because “pilots must execute a minimum number of flight hours to maintain proficiency.” The cost of flyovers is also already a part of the military’s operational budget, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t expensive: high performance jets burn at least 1,200 gallons of fuel per hour— that’s a cost of $109,000 for the fuel alone during the 2011 Super Bowl flyover, with the total cost clocking in at closer to $450,000
The Army quit doing flyovers for budgetary reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies