Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Liberals less scared about crime than Conservatives?
Yes 25 56.82%
No 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 03:04 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times

Advertisements

I've noticed an interesting vibe I pick up on this site, and in the media. When discussing the crime, rioting, and violence in inner cities like Chicago, St. Louis, Portland, Seattle, etcetera, it seems like conservatives tend to emphasize how bad the crime has been while liberals tend to downplay it. Women are typically more concerned about crime than men are, regardless of political affiliation. But even among men, I'm seeing this divide where men on the left are fine with living in a dangerous inner city neighborhood and don't think it's that dangerous while men on the right avoid the inner city at all costs and are scared of inner city crime. I see that conservative men are more concerned with crime and therefore are more likely to buy a gun to protect themselves and others.

I see this divide where conservatives will say that crime (and the culture of poverty that creates it) is the single biggest issue holding back the inner city while liberals argue that it is racism and income inequality.

Does anyone else see this trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 03:17 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
I don’t know, maybe people who are concerned don’t like seeing their neighborhoods changing for the worse, afraid for their children’s safety and education, no longer feeling safe walking down the street, seeing businesses closing up and moving out because they don’t feel safe and afraid of being robbed and shot. The police is called to hard on crime or depending on the area racist, city officials either ignore them or only do lip service to make them look good, so they would get votes, but actually ignore them.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:23 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I don’t know, maybe people who are concerned don’t like seeing their neighborhoods changing for the worse, afraid for their children’s safety and education, no longer feeling safe walking down the street, seeing businesses closing up and moving out because they don’t feel safe and afraid of being robbed and shot. The police is called to hard on crime or depending on the area racist, city officials either ignore them or only do lip service to make them look good, so they would get votes, but actually ignore them.
This is very true, and a huge reason behind the decay and depopulation of inner cities in the Rust Belt, and I'm afraid, soon to be, inner cities across the nation. That's what conservatives keep trying to tell us, and they're talking reality.

But tell leftists that crime is scaring scores of people away from the inner cities, and they'll downplay it. It really does seem that leftists are less scared of crime than conservatives. No wonder why conservatives buy more guns, because they're justifiably more scared of crime.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:36 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I live within the city limits, and while there's a certain amount of petty crime, it's nothing that I worry too much about. My neighborhood is solid, and my community is full of people who care. My parents, however, live in the suburbs and listen to a lot of conservative media--talking to them, you'd think that crossing the border into the city is akin to being in a war zone where it's not safe to walk after dark. There is a lot of thinly-veiled racism in the depiction of the city from this media. To them, City = Black People = Crime

Old 09-01-2020, 03:48 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I live within the city limits, and while there's a certain amount of petty crime, it's nothing that I worry too much about. My neighborhood is solid, and my community is full of people who care. My parents, however, live in the suburbs and listen to a lot of conservative media--talking to them, you'd think that crossing the border into the city is akin to being in a war zone where it's not safe to walk after dark. There is a lot of thinly-veiled racism in the depiction of the city from this media. To them, City = Black People = Crime
I know someone who lived close to the inner city and use to hear gunshots every night, a young girl around 13 was shot and killed on her front porch while doing her homework, I’ve been in that area and it is scary having to walk around homeless sleeping on the sidewalks. Where Ilive I always have to keep my car locked and alarmed set. By the way it’s majority white, so it’s not about being black.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Are Democrats/Left wingers less scared of crime than Republicans/right wingers?
There are none as fearful as Trump apologists. They are afraid of their own shadow.

Just last night Trump was talking about men is dark shadows, and a plane full of looters going to some mysterious destination, and the eyes of the FOX viewers were like saucers.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:17 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Trumplicans ARE afraid of everything more.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:21 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I've noticed an interesting vibe I pick up on this site, and in the media. When discussing the crime, rioting, and violence in inner cities like Chicago, St. Louis, Portland, Seattle, etcetera, it seems like conservatives tend to emphasize how bad the crime has been while liberals tend to downplay it. Women are typically more concerned about crime than men are, regardless of political affiliation. But even among men, I'm seeing this divide where men on the left are fine with living in a dangerous inner city neighborhood and don't think it's that dangerous while men on the right avoid the inner city at all costs and are scared of inner city crime. I see that conservative men are more concerned with crime and therefore are more likely to buy a gun to protect themselves and others.

I see this divide where conservatives will say that crime (and the culture of poverty that creates it) is the single biggest issue holding back the inner city while liberals argue that it is racism and income inequality.

Does anyone else see this trend?
absolutely. Why else do you think that Republicans are always on about having guns to protect them from crime, when they live in low crime suburbs and rural areas? Meanwhile, people who live in cities have less tolerance for guns even though most crimes are centered there?

Old 09-01-2020, 04:25 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Trumplicans ARE afraid of everything more.
Including coronavirus.

To answer the question: no, they just pretend to be less scared of crime on the internet. This story from Chicago gives a perfect example: "Amber" says that she doesn't care about the looting in her neighborhood. In fact, she even "supports" it. She also plans to move fifty miles away from it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/real-...bwq-story.html

I guess a good ol' fashioned move to a close-in suburb wouldn't put this BLM supporter far enough away from BLM activity to suit her.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:26 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are none as fearful as Trump apologists. They are afraid of their own shadow.

Just last night Trump was talking about men is dark shadows, and a plane full of looters going to some mysterious destination, and the eyes of the FOX viewers were like saucers.
So where do you live in Florida, exactly? Some place that has a very low crime rate, I'll bet every penny that I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies