Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 03:52 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
[url]http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/docs/community/GuidanceHalloween.pdf[/url]

LA County’s UNELECTED public health officials have effectively CANCELLED Halloween 2020! Trick or treating will not be allowed! This is DICTATORSHIP AND POWER TRIPPING AT ITS FINEST!!!

I hope families will rebel and let their children out; those children have already lost enough this year!
Yeah, so what? My son lost a trip to Spain, his prom, and his graduation ceremony as a result of COVID-19. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and act in the interest of the common good. Both my son and his older sister are stuck doing college at home right now, and they’re fine with it because they both know that it’s the right thing to do to protect others because they’ve been raised not to be selfish *******s. Regardless of what my local authorities do, I will not be passing out candy on Halloween. If parents want their kids to drown in sugar on October 31st, they can buy it themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 04:00 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Interesting I never knew of a city or community in California or the western states telling families when or how to trick or treat or age to do it or to celebrate any other observance in the year I thought this is only a East coast and notoriously in Virginia thing. I did remember some communities in the East had cancelled trick or treating after September 11 and Hurricane Sandy. I be curious how many communities in the eastern part of the country had cancelled trick or treating these days.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:11 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Yeah, so what? My son lost a trip to Spain, his prom, and his graduation ceremony as a result of COVID-19. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and act in the interest of the common good. Both my son and his older sister are stuck doing college at home right now, and they’re fine with it because they both know that it’s the right thing to do to protect others because they’ve been raised not to be selfish *******s. Regardless of what my local authorities do, I will not be passing out candy on Halloween. If parents want their kids to drown in sugar on October 31st, they can buy it themselves.
I have a feeling kids already know not to go to your house...

Old 09-10-2020, 06:15 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Way to early to ban Halloween.

But this is wrong wrong wrong....set strong, clear guidelines and let it happen.-

Old 09-10-2020, 06:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Way to early to ban Halloween.

But this is wrong wrong wrong....set strong, clear guidelines and let it happen.-
They began canceling 4th of July events the first week of May - so maybe not too early.

That being said, I hope they don't cancel.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:33 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Notice the absurd, hilarious level of projection in this post, in which the Trumpist implicitly makes the argument that over the next 4 years Donald Trump would be the best role model for our children of what people do when they're angry and don't get their way.
Left logic: "Someone disagrees with California's tyranny! They must be a Trump supporter!"

MPowering is not one I would call a Trump supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post
Do kids even trick-or-treat anymore? Waste of money and candy, the load of sugar is unhealthy for kids anyway. People can still celebrate Halloween by watching a horror movie at home, that isn't illegal in LA county. Also, maybe there can be a make-up day next summer for trick-or-treating if it is safe to do this. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.
"And get offa my lawn! Yer lousy kids! HARUMPH!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
LOL! First world problems.
It's kids we're talking about. Yes, "first world problems", but do you want to say that to the face of a little 5 year old child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I guess you know what is best for everyone. Do you ever eat sweats or have a drink or smoke? Do you eat anything that is bad for you? Everything in moderation. It’s one day a year that brings joy to parents and kids everywhere. Don’t like it don’t participate.
No one is allowed to do what they do not consider worthy of their time. "You shall not enjoy anything different than me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I have a feeling kids already know not to go to your house...
Back when I was a kid on Halloween, that is exactly the house we would make sure to go to...not for candy, however.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Left logic: "Someone disagrees with California's tyranny! They must be a Trump supporter!"

MPowering is not one I would call a Trump supporter.

"And get offa my lawn! Yer lousy kids! HARUMPH!"

It's kids we're talking about. Yes, "first world problems", but do you want to say that to the face of a little 5 year old child?

No one is allowed to do what they do not consider worthy of their time. "You shall not enjoy anything different than me!"

Back when I was a kid on Halloween, that is exactly the house we would make sure to go to...not for candy, however.
You are 100% correct! Thank you for the assist. Will have to wait to rep you again.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
They began canceling 4th of July events the first week of May - so maybe not too early.

That being said, I hope they don't cancel.
I can see communities, churches, schools etc....canceling bigger events. They take time and money to plan.

Encourage door to door. Those people who don't want to hand out don't have to -- they never have had to....but for those of us -- who are all in for masks, social distancing, being careful -- but know that they can set up a system to give kids candy without having to spread the virus.

FIRST....the kids are never 'hanging' out with folks. They run up to to a door get their candy and run. less contact then a supermarket.

SECOND -- we can set up ways to let the kids pick out prepackaged candy if they or we don't want to get too close.

I get it -- cancel the big Halloween festivities....because you don't know and you don't want hundreds of people hanging out.

But telling neighborhoods they can't allow their families to walk outside and pick up candy.

DUMB DUMB DUMB

Old 09-10-2020, 06:42 PM

I have no little kids in my house. I believe that kids are more resiliant the we give them credit for. As a parent if my community banned door to door I would create some kind of new 'COVID' friendly tradition ---- maybe a Halloween treasure hunt?

BUT I still don't want my community to cancel it.

Just saying......so many creative ways to encourage people to enjoy trick or treating without spreading the virus.

Allow them to do the door to door, discourage the door to door in large groups. Talk about teens being very vulnerable to spreading and that if you can discourage your teen from joining up with bunches of other kids, etc.....

There are some minor concerns.....but nothing worth banning door to door.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:48 PM

Part of the problem in the USA is the varied policy approach and no clear guidance. Who do we trust. Medical experts say one thing and then the feds say another and DO another.

So, as we have seen, despite hospitals being pushed to their limits, resources being limited, death rates up across the board, people are convinced 'just a flu' like any other flu.....why? Well let's start at the top and trickle down.....lol.

Look -- I'm not paranoid, hiding in fear, etc. Just choosing to make choices that won't put me at risk.....just saw another report that most people that report positive right now have eaten at a restaurant indoors. So -- lucky for me I don't have to dine inside, I can enjoy patios, take out, etc....

But strong, consistent messaging about what is reasonable and what isn't is needed. Our President could be providing that strong messaging.

He won't shake the hand of a fan -- but he'll encourage thousands of them to pack in close together.....that's some kind of messaging.

Be clear --- he's taking precautions.....and at the same time he's mocking others for taking precautions.

That's some messed up messaging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies