Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 06:54 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,430,881 times

Advertisements

I see nothing wrong with it. Companies have lobbied for debt discharges that favor them immensely, to the point the US gov will even step in for larger corporations, all the while executives still getting their bonuses.

If some private individual can legally get their debt discharged, so be it, companies spend billions of dollars collectively each year ensuring they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 08:00 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,968,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
... and spent the stipends on extracurricular activities that had absolutely nothing to do with school.
Student loan money should be going DIRECTLY to the school, NOT into the pockets of the loan applicants. When I was applying for loans 20-25 years ago I never saw a penny of that money, because it all went directly to the college.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:32 PM

8,296 posts, read 3,528,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Student loan money should be going DIRECTLY to the school, NOT into the pockets of the loan applicants. When I was applying for loans 20-25 years ago I never saw a penny of that money, because it all went directly to the college.
Student loan money is financial aid. The amount of aid one qualifies for depends on income and takes into account what one would pay for books, rent, etc. The student loan money goes to the college just as other financial aid does. Once the tuition is paid for the rest is disbursed to the student so the student can pay for the other college expenses outside of tuition.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:51 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,206,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Student loan money is financial aid. The amount of aid one qualifies for depends on income and takes into account what one would pay for books, rent, etc.
Nope. Only Pell Grants are based on financial need.

Student loans are available to anyone regardless of their financial need.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:39 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,037,074 times
I hope he wins, when enough of us tell the government and their crony partners to stop getting rich off of others trying to get an education then crap like this will come to a halt and America will join the rest of the civilized world.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:56 PM

8,652 posts, read 10,181,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Student loans do get disbursed to schools. Whatever is left over after tuition is paid is usually stipend out to student or student can request it get sent back to the lender.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:01 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,332,035 times
The student loan experiment is a gigantic failure and needs to be abolished. Everybody's loans probably could have been wiped out with less than was spent on the covid stimuli. How americans pay for higher education needs to be completely re-vamped. Right now pretty much only upper middle class and people and beyond that can afford to pay the entire tuition on day 1 can afford it. Everybody else just goes into debt for life living under the illusion that college will guarantee them and great life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies