Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 02:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

My wife bought me a bunch of quality shirts for work at Christmas time...today is the first day I've worn one since March, actually in the office. I can imagine dry cleaning businesses will be closing left and right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 02:36 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
Hell, I'm gay and I wouldn't wear any of that! LOL
LOL, funny stuff. I guess I just stereotyped gay folks, my bad.

Not all gay men are flamboyant dressers.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:13 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
He-he, you've just got familiar with this?

Russians were observing these images already for quite some time in social media, so their stockpile of nuclear weapons kept on growing.

Apparently they don't trust the "brain bleach," they needed something more reassuring.

What? Nuke the runway? Yeah, I'll go for that. The fashion industry stopped being relevant many decades ago.

One lovely remnant of 20th century fashion -- I've seen part of this exhibit and read a lot about the very meaningful impetus behind it, and it never fails to make me nostalgic for an era that I missed by a few decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%...tre_de_la_Mode

Old 09-21-2020, 03:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, funny stuff. I guess I just stereotyped gay folks, my bad.

Not all gay men are flamboyant dressers.

Nope. The gay men I've worked with in a professional capacity were all quite subdued and tasteful in their fashion choices.

At least at work. One good friend I met at work was a drag queen in his off hours, who gave me the job of wardrobe mistress at drag functions. What a ton of fun!

Ah, the good old days.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:50 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
In the software development world we progressed to outright casual(jeans and t-shirts with shorts on Fridays) years ago. What’s the point of being uncomfortable to just bang away at a keyboard all day? Working from home? You’ve got a “zoom shirt” to throw on for video calls but otherwise can be working in the buff.

I do not understand why prior generations thought it was a good idea to have everyone in an office in a suit even if they did not interact with customers. Creating the thermostat wars between the men and women. There’s allusions to professionalism and such. But productivity has been growing exponentially over the years despite the pearl clutching about office attire.

Last edited by notnamed; 09-21-2020 at 05:02 PM..

Old 09-21-2020, 05:14 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
I feel like a lot of people have grown tired of the pretentious nature and expense of fashion.

Folks don't really dress up that much anymore to go out. And with the pandemic, there's not much "out" even open, for "going out."

It's funny, I was just talking about this with a close friend of mine here in New York. I've moved back to Brooklyn after 3 years away down south. I mentioned how casual and dressed down my clothes were, and my friend who is pretty fashion-forward, said "don't even worry about that--people don't even concern themselves much with fashion anymore."

LOL And this is coming from a guy who has been in design, creative and interiors in New York for 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies