Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 09:33 AM

37,956 posts, read 17,893,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
There is no indication for most Minor Leaguers that they will ever make the Big Leagues. But MJ playing in the minors was pretty impressive for a guy that did not play since HS. Played at the AA level. Started out hitting a ton until he was getting a steady diet of breaking balls. He also played in the Arizona Fall League and started to show some real power.

As far as comparing Boxers with MMA fighters, I believe most MMA fighters would never make it in boxing, where as most boxers would be successful in MMA if chosen that route. But why would a talented boxer want to step down to MMA with less earnings? No MMA fighter will ever earn anywhere close to what McGregor earned boxing Mayweather.

On another note Don King once said that Lebron James would of made a great heavyweight if he was a boxer. Now of course that is pure speculation while King was making a point that the Heavyweight field was no longer what it once was because all the potential boxers were in the NBA and NFL. Michael Vick was another guy King named as a potential boxer.
hahahaha You quoted Don King. hahahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 09:59 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,255,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I think some of that might be traditional logic, but we're talking about a world class freak athlete here who has such a ridiculous reach advantage that he'd be able to hit Covington before Covington would be in range for kicks. On top of that we're talking about at least an 80 lb weight advantage and a massive strength advantage as well.

At a certain point, size matters no matter what polite girlfriends might try to make people think.

I think quite the opposite, Lebron would bulk up ahead of a match, increase his size and strength advantages. While we've seen Covington hold up against people of similar size and strength, could he do so in a situation with all of those disadvantages? That's the kind of question that the UFC was originally formed to answer.....and we had mixed results.

Now since then, they've abandoned that in order to gain widespread legality and appeal....but to me it was better when they were answering those questions. Hell, the early UFC all but landed death blows on many traditional martial arts by exposing them as bullshido.

One of the things that propelled BJJ to the forefront was when Royce Gracie at 175 lbs would take out absolute monsters like Kimo Leopoldo or Dan Severn. He almost never fought someone in the same weight class in those early years and it didn't matter. Even then, he never fought someone with the size, strength AND athleticism advantage that Lebron would have over Covington. That's why I'd be interested in seeing it.

Not entirely unfair, but a bigger LeBron means he'll be faster to gas. He's not going to have fast, accurate hands either. That said, I prefer close fights like DJ vs Cejudo or Usman vs Colby over oddball events. Plus, today's fighters would curbstomp Royce Gracie in his gi.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:03 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,564,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
Not entirely unfair, but a bigger LeBron means he'll be faster to gas. He's not going to have fast, accurate hands either. That said, I prefer close fights like DJ vs Cejudo or Usman vs Colby over oddball events. Plus, today's fighters would curbstomp Royce Gracie in his gi.
I kind of want both to exist.

Close matches are certainly exciting, but the oddball events answer questions and expose fraud.

I'd LOVE for an Akido master or some other bullshido artist to get in the octagon against any real fighter despite the fact that it would be over almost immediately.

Until the fake martial arts admit to being fake, I want to see them exposed.

At the same time, I want to see what styles legitimately can overcome extreme handicaps.

You shouldn't have fights like that all the time, but I'd like to see them sprinkled in every now and again to either reconfirm or potentially debunk assumptions.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:18 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,255,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I kind of want both to exist.

Close matches are certainly exciting, but the oddball events answer questions and expose fraud.

I'd LOVE for an Akido master or some other bullshido artist to get in the octagon against any real fighter despite the fact that it would be over almost immediately.

Until the fake martial arts admit to being fake, I want to see them exposed.

At the same time, I want to see what styles legitimately can overcome extreme handicaps.

You shouldn't have fights like that all the time, but I'd like to see them sprinkled in every now and again to either reconfirm or potentially debunk assumptions.
Hey now, Steven Seagal taught Anderson Silva how to front kick Vitor in the face. Akido is the real deal

Old 09-22-2020, 10:54 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,305,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think you are actually agreeing with me.

Probably the greatest athlete on earth didn't make the big leagues. Might have had he had the training, didn't because he didn't.

If you put Lebron James in an MMA ring with little training, I don't expect it to go well.

If you put Connor who has done less boxing in a boxing ring with the best boxer alive, I don't expect him to win. Conversely. Mayweather would likely lose quickly to Connor in an MMA fight.
Exactly. That goes without saying, about any athlete. Many NHL players for example get some limited training in Combat Sports. MMA's Chris Weidman says of all the team sports out there, NHL players would be the most adoptive to learn and compete in MMA.
Seeing what some hockey players can do standing on a blade, imagine what they could do flat footed. I say of all team sports NHL players would do best in a regular fist fight versus NFL, NBA or MLB players, even though they are not as big, but simply because they received some training in such.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:21 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,403,309 times
It's almost like the NBA and the UFC are targeting different demographics, isn't it?

Weird.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:13 PM

29,607 posts, read 16,577,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
The point is simple. The police do pay when they are in the wrong. It's not complicated.
And when officers get hurt in the line of duty, the families of the officers are well taken care of. Are you still not seeing the flaw.

Either you are arguing for the social aspect of donating to a reward, which police officers dont follow when its their fault, or you are just being a hypocrite. you pick.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
The point is simple. The police do pay when they are in the wrong. It's not complicated.
And when officers get hurt in the line of duty, the families of the officers are well taken care of. Are you still not seeing the flaw????

Either you are arguing for the social aspect of donating to a reward, which police officers dont follow when its their fault, or you are just being a hypocrite. you pick.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
Right, arguments here are so much better than on Facebook. Debate forum. lol. Nobody is handling out debate points. Most of the time nobody reads past 1 or 2 sentences. But if your perception is that CD is a debate forum that's your reality and I doubt anything I say will change it. And I'm fine with that.
I wasnt the one who wrote the original post you responded to, but that is neither here, nor there.

Your argument was flawed because this isnt social media, point blank. We all come here specifically to debate.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:23 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,529,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
And when officers get hurt in the line of duty, the families of the officers are well taken care of. Are you still not seeing the flaw.

I see it was too complicated for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies