Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2023, 07:15 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindropper View Post
Obama is not white
Mexicans are not white
No Latinos are white

Also Arabs are not white, which should be obvious
You obviously have never been to South America or Spain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2023, 08:44 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

All this discussion of genetics, when the argument is not of science but rather of the "single drop rule" since in few cases do we know everything going back generations, like we think we do with President Obama, is one of public perception
I am saying that the one drop rule is hogwash. But we are obsessed with it aren’t we?

Old 06-03-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindropper View Post
Obama is not white
Mexicans are not white
No Latinos are white

Also Arabs are not white, which should be obvious
And some need some educational guidance.

Old 06-03-2023, 08:57 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I am saying that the one drop rule is hogwash. But we are obsessed with it aren’t we?
When discussion turns towards biological science,true However in political science the single drop that's believed to be part of someone is all that matters

Old 06-03-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
When discussion turns towards biological science,true However in political science the single drop that's believed to be part of someone is all that matters
Who created that. ? We of course. But as it’s no longer a legal definition, because possibly now many white People have black or other DNA we need to erase that really.

The one-drop rule was a legal principle of racial classification that was prominent in the 20th-century “United States”. It asserted that any person with even one ancestor of black ancestry ("one drop" of "black blood") is considered black (Negro or colored in historical terms). The rule was outlawed by the Supreme Court in the Loving v. Virginia decision of 1967.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Old 06-03-2023, 09:22 AM

1,719 posts, read 731,831 times
The Hispanic people I see in my area are clearly Mestizo, and some (from Central America) look like pure indigenous. They have black hair, brown eyes, tan to brown skin, and are usually short. Their features look very much like those on the ancient sculptures I've seen all over Mexico and Guatemala. To call these people white is incorrect, and also bigoted -- as though being Mestizo and indigenous isn't worthy.

Old 06-03-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
The Hispanic people I see in my area are clearly Mestizo, and some (from Central America) look like pure indigenous. They have black hair, brown eyes, tan to brown skin, and are usually short. Their features look very much like those on the ancient sculptures I've seen all over Mexico and Guatemala. To call these people white is incorrect, and also bigoted -- as though being Mestizo and indigenous isn't worthy.
But it’s about genes. They are not Black or Asian… so maybe White is a catch-all. Oh that would upset many

Old 06-03-2023, 11:46 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
But those are the ones who LOOK “Hispanic” and you can easily identify them as such. There are quite a few Hispanics who have blue eyes and light skin and were born with blonde hair. I’m one of them. Spanish on both sides of the family and one grandfather born in Uruguay.

It’s the US that tries to put everyone into a racial box. The “Hispanic” group will never accurately fit as white or “people of color”. It’s an ethnicity of many colors.

(Look at some of the past presidents of Mexico and Uruguay. They are very white men, not people of color).

Old 06-03-2023, 02:11 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You obviously have never been to South America or Spain.

Doesn't 'Latino' refer to people from Latin America? Being Spanish doesn't make you Latino, Spain is in Europe.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is...latino-5082005
https://hnmagazine.com/2023/01/risin...ams-come-true/

Old 06-03-2023, 03:41 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
But those are the ones who LOOK “Hispanic” and you can easily identify them as such. There are quite a few Hispanics who have blue eyes and light skin and were born with blonde hair. I’m one of them. Spanish on both sides of the family and one grandfather born in Uruguay.

It’s the US that tries to put everyone into a racial box. The “Hispanic” group will never accurately fit as white or “people of color”. It’s an ethnicity of many colors.

(Look at some of the past presidents of Mexico and Uruguay. They are very white men, not people of color).
Most of the citizens of Mexico are exactly as described (not talking about their leaders). They are of mixed race usually white and Amerindian called Mestizos and they do tend to have brown skin and are short. They mainly favor their Amerindian side in looks rather than their white Spanish side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies