Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 12:16 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Nope. When no "progressive" groups have shown up to start problems and initiate the use of violence, "Proud Boys", and virtually all other "right wing" groups have been peaceful. The closest they come to violence is picking up trash. Quite the contrast with the months of violence, brutality, arson and destruction from the progressives, even when no one shows to "oppose" them. Unless you consider innocent bystanders, the people they stop in traffic and drage from their cars and store owners as "opposition".

And to be clear, I don't support racist hate groups, rather they are BLM or KKK. Both are abhorrent. Now-is there ANY proof that the Proud Boys are racist? Perhaps the black and hispanic members of the group?
I think the part of your reply that I put in bold is pretty funny.

Hitler: We Nazi's are peaceful. When no Jews are around, we don't gas them.

Bin Laden: al-Qaeda is peaceful. When no Americans show up at the WTC, we don't hijack planes to fly into their buildings.

Jefferson Davis: The Confederate States are peaceful. When the Union Army hasn't shown up, we don't attack Fort Sumter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 12:21 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Your talking about Proud Boys? Word is that they're just a front for the alt-right.

I think the idea is this, if someone came to punch hitler before he can speak before a small crowd and get known, it would'ved probably stopped WW2.

“Maybe the reason I’m sexist is because women are dumb. No, I’m just kidding, ladies. But you do tend to not thrive in certain areas — like writing.”
—Gavin McInnes, The Gavin McInnes Show, June 28, 2017

McInnes himself has ties to the racist right and has contributed to hate sites like VDare.com and American Renaissance, both of which publish the work of white supremacists and so-called “race realists.” He even used Taki’s Magazine — a far-right publication whose contributors include Richard Spencer and Jared Taylor — to announce the founding of the Proud Boys. McInnes plays a duplicitous rhetorical game: rejecting white nationalism and, in particular, the term “alt-right” while espousing some of its central tenets. For example, McInnes has himself said it is fair to call him Islamophobic.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...oup/proud-boys

Old 09-26-2020, 12:25 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I don’t think left wingers should be lecturing on violence and destruction, I don’t agree with any kind of violence on either side. I do believe in peaceful protests and counter protests with intent of causing violence is wrong. If the proud boys protest turns to violence and riots, they should face charges as should the far leftist should have.
Isn't it funny how these liberal leftists don't criticize these leftist rioters and looters at all ? These so-called "Proud Boys" wouldn't even be there if not for the initial actions of these kooky leftists that are the ones destroying everything in the first place. Then these lefties have the nerve to demonize a group going to Portland on the right for violence which hasn't even happened yet? From what I read they said they are going to show these kooky lefties how to protest peacefully since they don't seem to know how. I'll wait and see the videos of what goes on today in Portland before pronouncing judgement.

As for any so-called racism of these types of groups of whites I guess these lefties are also going to ignore the racism and hatred by these looters and rioters whom most are minorities aka BLM and ANTIFA?

Old 09-26-2020, 01:02 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The Proud Boys are not exactly known for their peaceful protests. Let's get real here. They have a long history of violence beginning with Charlottesville. Yet somehow Trump supporters feel that they have to support thugs like the Proud Boys because Trump has called them a part of "the good people on both sides."

Why do right wingers twist themselves into knots defending white supremacists? Why are YOU so quick to embrace violence and destruction? The far right may think that it's cute to stand up for the "civil rights" of a group of thugs, but this stance only destroys whatever small amount of credibility you may have still had.

The one thing that I do agree with is that members of every other protest group in Portland would be wise to just stay home. The Proud Boys don't need outside help to show themselves up as filled with hate and eager to do harm to anyone who they perceive as getting in their way.
left winger like you are lecturing about "peaceful" protests....in Portland of all places?

is this a joke?

Old 09-26-2020, 01:08 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
https://www.theamericanconservative....y-two-nations/

Posted this on another thread. Its a nice essay. Talks about the different world views.

"...It’s possible to miss the onslaught of totalitarianism, precisely because we have a misunderstanding of how its power works. In 1951, poet and literary critic Czesław Miłosz, exiled to the West from his native Poland as an anti-communist dissident, wrote that Western people misunderstand the nature of communism because they think of it only in terms of “might and coercion.” “That is wrong,” he wrote. “There is an internal longing for harmony and happiness that lies deeper than ordinary fear or the desire to escape misery or physical destruction.” In The Captive Mind, Miłosz said that communist ideology filled a void that had opened in the lives of early twentieth-century intellectuals, most of whom had ceased to believe in religion. This is why NPR sounds like Vatican Radio from the Church of Secular Progressivism, and this is why The New York Times reads like L'Osservatore Romano of the same pseudo-religion....

What we have, with the woke, is a pseudo-religion that tries to ape Christianity without Christianity’s sense of mercy, and without its tragic awareness that, in Solzhenitsyn’s memorable phrase, the line between good and evil passes not between peoples, classes, and nations, but down the middle of every human heart...."

Old 09-26-2020, 01:08 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why can't those on the left, those in the "progressive" movement, respect and accept the civil rights of other people? They have had their protests, some peaceful, most violent and destructive riots, for months. For the most part, nobody has stood oppose them-they have been allowed to commit acts of violence and destruction with few repercussions for months now.

Now look at Portland. A "right wing" group wants to have ONE rally, for one afternoon, to exercise their 1st amendment right to free speech and assembly. Yet, rather than simply staying away and letting them have a peaceful rally, left-wing groups are promising to "counter"-to use violence, force and intimidation. Even the local progressives in government, the mayor and I believe even the governor, has promised to use LE to shut down this peaceful rally.

So, just why is it? Why are progressives so intolerant of the rights of others? Why are they so authoritarian? Why are progressives so quick to embrace violence and destruction?
If one thinks that mainstream liberals/progressives are in favor of the violence.....

In fact, many believe that the violence is due to, shall I say, an "enemy front" causing the violence, to cause lack of credibility to what is otherwise a peaceful movement.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:11 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
I think the part of your reply that I put in bold is pretty funny.

Hitler: We Nazi's are peaceful. When no Jews are around, we don't gas them.

Bin Laden: al-Qaeda is peaceful. When no Americans show up at the WTC, we don't hijack planes to fly into their buildings.

Jefferson Davis: The Confederate States are peaceful. When the Union Army hasn't shown up, we don't attack Fort Sumter.
Cute little story-is there a point? Other than perhaps the fact that Pantifa and BLM are even worse than those you listed? Because-they utilize violence, brutality and destruction, EVEN in the absence of an outside influence.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:40 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,530,131 times
Quote:

Believe it or not, the vast majority of folks on the left don't care for violent confrontations either.
But you hardly ever hear anyone on the left denounce the violence and rioting taking place these days.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:51 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I don’t think left wingers should be lecturing on violence and destruction, I don’t agree with any kind of violence on either side. I do believe in peaceful protests and counter protests with intent of causing violence is wrong. If the proud boys protest turns to violence and riots, they should face charges as should the far leftist should have.
If you would stop falsely stereotyping me and every other centrist democrat as violent and racist, I'd be in complete agreement with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Isn't it funny how these liberal leftists don't criticize these leftist rioters and looters at all ? These so-called "Proud Boys" wouldn't even be there if not for the initial actions of these kooky leftists that are the ones destroying everything in the first place. Then these lefties have the nerve to demonize a group going to Portland on the right for violence which hasn't even happened yet? From what I read they said they are going to show these kooky lefties how to protest peacefully since they don't seem to know how. I'll wait and see the videos of what goes on today in Portland before pronouncing judgement.

As for any so-called racism of these types of groups of whites I guess these lefties are also going to ignore the racism and hatred by these looters and rioters whom most are minorities aka BLM and ANTIFA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
left winger like you are lecturing about "peaceful" protests....in Portland of all places?

is this a joke?
You know absolutely nothing about left wingers like me. On the other hand, I know far too much about right wingers like you. No joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
But you hardly ever hear anyone on the left denounce the violence and rioting taking place these days.
You folks on the right really need to do better than strawman and what-aboutism type replies. All of you are defending a group known for its violent behavior. Then you pretend that I along with the vast majority of mainstream democrats share your same proclivity for violent groups that you do.

The idea of the "antifa" just doesn't resonate with us the way the Proud Boys seem to resonate with all of you. I don't feel any more need to censor violent activities on the part of the antifa than I would violence anywhere else. I'm against all of it and so is every other mainstream democrat. That's simply a given, so I didn't feel any special need to post a diatribe against the antifa. I'm against violence and violent people.

On the other hand, you right wingers relish it as you have proved with this thread and the many others like it that Trumpers have posted here.

I live on a huge hay farm and we have lots of left over straw this time of year. Feel free to DM me for a bale the next time you want to reply to anybody with an argument along the lines of "But you democrats adore violence."

No, we don't.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Because in their minds they have moral and intellectual superiority. They know better for you and me. When in reality they are just oppressive control freaks who want their way all the time. Cancel culture, the removal of statues, symbols, murals, books, rioting, violence, looting, burning, etc. They can't just not read them or look at them. They must take them away from YOU and everyone else.
Sounds more like right wing conservative religionists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies