Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2020, 10:06 PM

1,969 posts, read 545,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I think the OPs assessment is over the top. But there is a bit of truth to it. reminded me of a couple of videos I saw of NYC from a century ago.

Notice the people in this vid. Almost none of them had college degrees and a large percentage didnt complete high school. Compare to a modern vid of New Yorkers, virtually all of whom completed high school and a large number college educated, but look like slobs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyL6wWOHxUM

This vid of Harlem from the 1930s. Compare to what one sees walking around Harlem today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLw_QwRnWmY
Why is that girl up front looking mortified? Maybe shes woke! Gotta say its a little....black servant driving white folks around...I guess the savages we are put a stop to that.

Things are different. Thank gosh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 10:36 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,620,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Huh? Young men are still wearing their pants down to their knees everywhere I go with their underwear and cracks showing. Are you living in a middle of a forest?
LOL, Not sure where you are living, but that ' fashion trend', if you want to call it that...was popular like 10-15 yrs ago!

Old 10-01-2020, 04:00 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,386,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
When I compare people 30 and under to my parents or grandparents at that age it’s shocking the difference. Their lives were work and faith and all the good things in life evolved from that. The immorality of people today, the normalizing and even sensationalizing of abhorrent behavior would be shocking to them.
Which immoral behavior would that be?

Many would consider coming closer to fulfilling our national promise that 'All men are created equal,' to be a closer leap towards morality. Extending rights to people who have never enjoyed them before is a moral act.

Your sense of 'morality' is a bit skewed.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:31 AM

63,003 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
No, mostly see skinny jeans/vans/converse/Doc Martins/Adidas. Of course, if you live in the hood, it's still prevalent in cholo culture.
I don't live in the hood. I live in a decent So. Calif. city but there are many young men that still dress that way here. It's Calif., go figure.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:57 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,244,716 times
I live on the Gulf Coast... think Texas heat + Louisiana humidity. I am 43 and there’s no way I am wearing pants to go run errands about 10-11 months of the year. If that makes me a savage clown then so be it. I’m not seeking anyone’s approval, and that goes doubly for those on the 2 other coasts.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:10 AM

19,242 posts, read 17,117,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I think the OPs assessment is over the top. But there is a bit of truth to it. reminded me of a couple of videos I saw of NYC from a century ago.

Notice the people in this vid. Almost none of them had college degrees and a large percentage didnt complete high school. Compare to a modern vid of New Yorkers, virtually all of whom completed high school and a large number college educated, but look like slobs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyL6wWOHxUM

This vid of Harlem from the 1930s. Compare to what one sees walking around Harlem today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLw_QwRnWmY
I like how most of the second video is of the Cotton Club which only allowed people of color to be in attendance as servers or performers, no sitting in the audience as a customer.....

Great example...

Old 10-01-2020, 08:16 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,347,737 times
As I write this post, I'm dressed for a typical day of life in retirement -- a polo, Dickies canvas "work pants", and athletic shoes from WalMart -- Total cost of maybe $75 when underwear and socks are included, and this is how I dressed for most of my working life.

At one of the places I worked -- a 24/7 "dispatching center", we once got a new department head who was very much into the idea of "dress for success" -- a dress shirt and tie at the outset, then a better (and, of course, more expensive) variety of slacks. And if even the lowest clerk in the pecking order showed up in a suit or sport coat, Mr. Executive Clothes-Horse made his approval known.

And of course, all this unnecessary window dressing is, under the logic of the IRS, "adaptable to general wear", and therefore, not tax-deductible. I was only 25 at the time, so I didn't object to being eased out, and before very long, found another job in a more open-minded setting.

But the story serves as a reminder that a certain segment of our society, often well-entrenched in the fantasies of "Korporate'" life, enjoys forcing their standards on everybody else. Too often, "dress to impress" translates to "dress to suppress".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-01-2020 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-01-2020, 08:24 AM

15,947 posts, read 12,300,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post

Many would consider coming closer to fulfilling our national promise that 'All men are created equal,' to be a closer leap towards morality. Extending rights to people who have never enjoyed them before is a moral act.

Spiral dynamics stage blue thinking, that promiscuous sex is equal with "immorality" I admit I work on undoing these hangups. Fact of the matter is our species has never been more peaceful and tolerant, and the US and Europe are the pinnacle of cultural development.

The elites are trying to speed things up by "nation building" rather than respect a non-interference directive like Star Trek's "prime directive" ... their meddling might cause more problems than it fixes... I would suggest they be careful in what they are doing... the progressive elites. This is especially true when they culture shame law abiding people who work hard and basically hold our civilization up while condoning violent, entitled, lazy people for political purposes. This is apt to backfire in a spectacular manner if they are not careful.

I should also point out that a lot of the people who think the 50's were the golden era of morality are being brainwashed. The 50's were largely a social experiment based on the word of Freud and Yung. Life back then was not as idealized as TV shows like "Leave it to Beaver" would have you think. I admit it has it's appeal though... especially for men who want the apple pie and 2 kids life they can't find in modern culture.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:30 AM

19,656 posts, read 12,248,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post

All men are not created equal. Some seem to be missing a soul. They don't appreciate humanity.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,643,127 times
Obese tattooed savages. I see them around. Me , I'm a Jean's, t shirt or button down in the Winter, boots and a cowboy hat. Ball cap or booney hat sometimes.

I've had some younger city type flipdicks deride my manner of dress before. Not often but it has happened. Standing there with backwards ball caps or worse turned sideways with boxer shorts pulled up the crack of their a$$ and pants around their knees and making fun of me.

Lol whatever. I'm a 56 yo country type who deals with people in business. Not a 19 yo wannabe banger from urban upper middle class. Pure silliness.

What is it with these suburban White kids who never had it rough trying to look like hood rats? And act like them to? Tossing weird hand signs and doing the "yo yo yo" talk. LMAO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies