Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 09:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
No, We will be stocking up on protection, as the country takes a deep dive and every man for himself to protect his property!
Getting passports for my kids, one more firearm, ammunition and bottled water. Tomorrow. This is frightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 09:19 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
The leftist media will just harass Biden until he lets Kamala take over... And then the media will give her a Noble Peace Prize...

Old 09-29-2020, 10:21 PM

1,768 posts, read 716,109 times
Nope. Don't want my taxes raised.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:15 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
It will be terrible for the cable networks.

Most people post-Trump's election were complaining that they could have stayed home (no protests) if Hillary had just won.

Biden wants to take a bunch of experts and run the country away from public eye just like Obama.

And Americans will excitedly ignore everything to do with politics and just heap meaningless praise on his 'decency'.

I can't decide if this is a good or bad thing.

No. We live a republic. Our leaders and representatives are chosen by us. The voter must be aware of what their elected officials are doing. All those people who thought their vote didn't matter in 2016 are now complaining what the other side is doing.

Winners make policy - Mitch McConnell.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:47 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Then you probably shouldn't care much for who wins this election.

The entire national outrage at Trump is just an exercise in reaffirming trust with the status-quo and to exhaust people to the point that they disengage permanently with national politics.

The most important trend over the past forty years is the rising costs of public goods and the over reliance on fractional reserve banking.

And it wasn't done to crush the poor, it was done to get people into the job market and increase consumer spending. As more capital is concentrated in wall street local politics has less and less of an effect on the lives of the people.

Republicans have colorful ways to promote economic dependency on financial markets as have democrats, but under completely different political philosophies.

They are completely different but the trend will continue regardless of who wins. The one good thing about Trump is the extreme amount of transparency in the government, once Biden is elected we will return to a totally oblivious public who have no self-interests they would like to force onto the government.

And if the people don't have a collective vision for society, the government will follow the same voices as usual (special interests and corporate unions).
You must still be young and idealistic.

Local politics will continue to impact people in all sorts of ways and that old saying that you can't fight city hall is not always true. Just as an example, many federally funded programs are left for local governments to administer. That often means that mayors and city councils can make all sorts of changes if only they are prodded hard enough and long enough by even just one determined citizen. I know because in the past, I have been that determined citizen.

I don't pretend to know much about Wall Street or financial markets or fractional banking. My background is in the sciences and I studied biology and climatology in college. Global warming is here to stay. Plus we are losing species of both plants and animals at an alarming rate. Scientists tell us that we are in the middle of the 6th great extinction and they are correct. Making matters even worse, all over the world we are losing valuable cropland to droughts, flooding and fires. Much of the agricultural land we are losing may not be productive again for hundreds of years - maybe more.

In the face of this man made existential crisis which is now upon us, Wall Street as it is now organized becomes irrelevant. The climate crisis is one of the most important reasons for getting rid of Trump. If we wait to do anything to start tackling the problem, that much more damage and that much more suffering we be hardwired into our undeniably gloomy future.

You can rescue our financial system and I'll do what I can to save Colorado's mountains and forests. Hows that?

Old 09-30-2020, 03:09 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:

Most people post-Trump's election were complaining that they could have stayed home (no protests) if Hillary had just won.

Biden wants to take a bunch of experts and run the country away from public eye just like Obama.

And Americans will excitedly ignore everything to do with politics and just heap meaningless praise on his 'decency'.

A president who demands loyalty is a bad thing. Maybe it`s just me but I like the idea of well qualified experts making the decisions that need to be made in this country.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:59 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:

That's a lot of spaghetti you threw.

So you are saying Trump's loyalists finally comprehend the Trump show has no place in the government of the United States? And when America elects someone who will take us back to a functioning government which achieves the goals and purpose of having a government it is a boring and bad thing?

Politics is the means we Americans have to select the people to whom we entrust our government, while we pursue our lives. So we come together every so many years to get involved to select those folks who we think will abide by our founding principles, use our hard earned money wisely for the common good, make the government work for all of us, and keep us safe and productive in a world of many other nations.

It is not for entertainment. It definitely is not to remake a government in the image of any one individual and to blow everything up every 4 years or to bestow power to anyone to enrich themselves. Our power is in we the people not who we the people have elected. If the selected person at the top of the government will abide by the rules we have long established and respect and represent us and dignify the core duties of their office, then we can go about our pursuits. If a mistake has been made and the people in office are not decent and trustworthy and betray us by demanding dominance and personal power, then we have a problem and we can fix it by a peaceful transfer of that power. Because the power is in the office and the duties performed well, not the person. And our elections are our power to put someone who will understand that and place the nation's interests over their own, for a brief determined time, so we can go about our lives.

Perhaps you do not understand why we formed a government in this nation. Maybe you should step back and understand the purpose of America's government.

We the people, of The United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

We formed this government with goals that, if achieved, will give individuals the power over their own lives and hopes and dreams. We entrust people to run it and keep it running for a brief stint, not to blow it up and reinvent it in their own image every four years. That would be chaos and we wouldn't be able to pursue our lives and our government would not be able to function. That is where we find ourselves today isn't it? Constant stream of cronies and relatives in and out of Trump's government shouting for their personal 15 minutes of fame to enrich themselves or their ego. That is the opposite of what our founding fathers created and that which we as Americans pledge our loyalty.

Yes, America does want a decent smooth running government that noiselessly operates under our guiding principles and by its 3 equal but separate branches with checks and balances. We do want decent respectful individuals who possess the character and courage to stand up for Americas guiding principles and who are willing to put aside their own interests and ego to get along with others so we can get along and pursue our lives.

Character and decency and respect for we the people do matter. The chaos, discord, disregard and disrespect towards American citizens, that has been our reality for over 3.5 years, is a stark example of why character --- and the traits you claim to "not get"---do indeed matter.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:09 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,469,281 times
Since you are posting from a future where we know the result of the election, surely this future also tells you if people start ignoring politics again afterward, yes? So you tell us. Oh and while you're at it, please DM me next week's Powerball numbers.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:14 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I hope so.

That's one reason I'm voting Biden.

I want to NOT pay attention to ANY political news source for an extended period of time, and not worry that some new bombshell about the incompetence of our POTUS is going to rock the country.

Demanding a basic level of competence from this POTUS seems to require never-ending vigilance and that should not be the case.
So you'll risk economic devastation, higher taxes, less police presence, unrest in the mid-east and civil unrest because you aren't willing to just turn off the news?

Old 09-30-2020, 05:37 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I hope so.

That's one reason I'm voting Biden.

I want to NOT pay attention to ANY political news source for an extended period of time, and not worry that some new bombshell about the incompetence of our POTUS is going to rock the country.

Demanding a basic level of competence from this POTUS seems to require never-ending vigilance and that should not be the case.

( I meant to say that )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies