Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 06:10 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times

Advertisements

Gas is $1.88.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 06:13 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I have never cared about gas prices and I won’t start now. And I’m certainly not gonna cast a vote based on something as flimsy with price vicissitudes like a gallon of gasoline. Presidents have practically nothing to do with gas being cheap or high unless they start a dumb war in the Middle East.

I’ve got 3 V8’s, a straight 6, and my wife’s diesel wagon. I couldn’t possibly care less what it costs to fill them. If I like a car, I don’t care about gas mileage or the price of a gallon.

If someone is pressed enough about doom and gloom over gas prices, you need to sell the damn car and ride a skateboard.
I think I have located the epicenter of global warming.

Back to the real point here. Prices have been low with President Trump but the current low price is Covid related.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:24 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Gas at $2.09? You should just shut up and consider yourself lucky. I'm paying $2.59 and am pretty grateful for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The ignorant think a president can just do whatever...
Including the current president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Red oscasio Cortez comment sJoe does support it. Biden changes his mind Ashe goes whatever you want to hear. Never would I vote for the dim wit
There's a boatload of irony right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
they focus on a hoax like "global warming". Meanwhile, the oceans fill with plastic, dead zones expand, and our water becomes more and more contaminated. Just like libs to focus on an ant while being attacked by a bear.
I get what you're saying, but the analogy is backward. Climate change ("global warming" is so 20th century) is the bear, and environmental contamination in all its forms are the ants. Take care of the ants, and the bear won't seem so menacing.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:03 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
meh.

Can't wait to own an EV. It'll be a my next car. EV are absolutely 1000% here to stay and will be gaining a sizeable share of the market.
I want an EV at some point as well. I will run my current vehicle for as long as I can and then I will definitely look at EVs. I do side work for my trade, so I would like something with some carrying capacity. I don’t need a pickup though, I get by with having a minivan since I mainly do HVAC and plumbing work. Most people I see driving around in pickups don’t need them and just drive them as a status symbol lol, clean as a whistle.

Fuel prices aren’t my top priority, I have much bigger concerns for the country, like how we can deal with the growing economic inequalities in this country. Gas prices are largely out of the president’s control anyway. I know they haven’t raised the federal fuel tax in years, so that may be on the table and would affect it somehow, we need to pay for infrastructure upgrades somehow.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. "Green Energy" destroyed the economy of Spain

2. Unlike what Biden said, there is not a single source of "green energy" that is more economical than fossil fuels

3. Solar is one of the most polluting sources of green energy, as there is massive heavy metal waste

4. "Green energy" is destroying the rain forests. The Brazilian rain forest is being mowed down to plant...……………………. switch grass for biofuel!

5. The only way "green energy" works is massive federal subsidies

6. The "green energy" initiatives of Obama went bankrupt

7. Natural gas is a much cleaner fossil fuel and we have massive reserves

8. Idiots forget that to power electric cars, you need fuel for the electric plants

9. In true liberal form, they focus on a hoax like "global warming". Meanwhile, the oceans fill with plastic, dead zones expand, and our water becomes more and more contaminated. Just like libs to focus on an ant while being attacked by a bear.
1. Care to provide a reliable source?

2. Solar and wind are steadily decreasing in price and are becoming more competitive. I will grant you that there is an issue with storage and grid reliability during these times. I think we will need to rely on natural gas power plants that can ramp up to fill the energy curve for the mean time. Battery technology is improving, so this can help with the storage issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...xtra-cost/amp/

3. Please provide a source.

4. Please provide a link. Not many people are using biofuel. I would say a good portion of the rainforest is being cleared for cattle raising.

5. Fossil fuels use federal subsidies. Many industries use them in their infancy.

6. Source?

7. True, it is cleaner than the alternatives.

8. Of course, that’s why you take into consideration of where the bulk of your electricity comes from. Some states the carbon offset from driving an EV takes longer than other states when factoring in manufacturing process and source of electricity in a given area. Some states hybrids are cleaner than electric vehicles, but they both are still cleaner than gasoline. Of course if you only keep your vehicle for a year then that is not doing the environment any good. You can get a solar panel for your house.

9. Can you not focus on multiple issues at once? We have different organizations combating each of these problems. Isn’t it republicans complaining that in liberal areas people aren’t offering plastic straws?

Old 10-01-2020, 07:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Good luck telling that to the millions of people on Long Island and in CT who realistically can only heat with oil.

How does solar work for heat in the middle of winter?
Does the sun not rise in the winter there?

Old 10-01-2020, 07:24 AM

1,361 posts, read 552,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
and Imposes the draconian new green deal. Will fuel prices skyrocket, Will I be able to stay in business with skyrocketing energy costs. So Is this the most important election in my lifetime “you better believe it”

Hahah... $3 per gallon in Seattle metro (and like $3.50 in the city of Seattle)... something about this state having one of the highest gas taxes in the USA. In 9 years here I think the lowest I've seen it was when COVID hit and gas dropped to like $2.35... and that's still much higher than what I saw when I went to Florida for Christmas.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Does the sun not rise in the winter there?
To be fair, they do have a point. Heat pumps aren’t effective that far north. You will rarely see a heat pump that far north in the country. Now it would make sense to switch over to natural gas in these areas.

I personally like the tankless natural gas water heater in combination with hydronic furnaces. Geothermal is a good option, but it can get pretty pricey. I don’t think we will get rid of fossil fuels for quite some time, but we can definitely reduce our reliance on them.

Correction: there are heat pumps that are more efficient up north, but they are expensive, considering it is a newer technology.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:32 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Heck...look at california with 30 % solar/wind, and the rolling blackouts, and governor telling people on 100degree days to not use their AC but use a fan instead. And don't run your dishwasher or laundry during the day.
Such sacrifices these people are being called on to make. This is worse than what the Marines had to endure at Belleau Wood and Iwo Jima. Oh the humanity!

Old 10-01-2020, 08:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
To be fair, they do have a point. Heat pumps aren’t effective that far north. You will rarely see a heat pump that far north in the country. Now it would make sense to switch over to natural gas in these areas.

I personally like the tankless natural gas water heater in combination with hydronic furnaces. Geothermal is a good option, but it can get pretty pricey. I don’t think we will get rid of fossil fuels for quite some time, but we can definitely reduce our reliance on them.

Correction: there are heat pumps that are more efficient up north, but they are expensive, considering it is a newer technology.
Not to mention the daylight hours are significantly reduced in the winter months. For example, in East Lansing the average sunrise last Jan was about 8:05AM and the average sunset was about 5:25pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies