Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

How is it we have no $$$ for roads or bridges but can scrape a few billion together to send to another country ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 02:32 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,652 times
How is it that gas prices shot up as soon as we invaded Iraq? I agree that certain things need to be done in the world but we must ask ourselves, was it worth whatever it added to our 9 trillion dollar debt? Is it worth our crumbling economy? I realize that the Iraq war isn't completely to blame, but it is largely to blame. I just feel that the money is now better spent here. If it wasn't before, it certainly is now before we get any worse. It is a scary thought when our dollar isn't worth crap anymore in most of the world.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:56 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
I never heard of any infrastructure issues related to lack of money. We all know Congress would just borrow to fix stuff.

I think NOLA is still messed up because the people who live there are so incompetent.

Sewers, etc. are state, not federal issues.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:01 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,444 times
1. We are not incompetent. You realize the levee system FAILED as it was but built to advertised spec and was overseen by the United States Army Corps of Engineers.
You don't have the slightest idea under God of which you speak.

2. Roads and transit are federal issues.

3. You have bankrupt cities which don't have the tax base to fix fundamental problems, and no one is going to move there until problems can get fixed.

My TAX money should stay in the United States NOT Iraq.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I never heard of any infrastructure issues related to lack of money. We all know Congress would just borrow to fix stuff.

I think NOLA is still messed up because the people who live there are so incompetent.

Sewers, etc. are state, not federal issues.
You didn't read of that bridge just falling apart during rush hour and later find out it was just patched here and there cause they had no money ?

Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Bush details $70 billion war funding request for 2009 (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/05/02/national/w083145D24.DTL&tsp=1 - broken link)

Message to the democratically controlled congress: grow a pair.
Note to CD posters.

Bush REQUESTED funding from Congress... Anotherwords, he cant just write the check.. So many of you want to blame Bush for bad budgets, deficit spending etc..

ITS NOT BUSH, ITS CONGRESS.. If they give him what he wants.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:10 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,444 times
It is them both...

Neither the GOP or the Democrats are innocent.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:17 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
1. We are not incompetent. You realize the levee system FAILED as it was but built to advertised spec and was overseen by the United States Army Corps of Engineers.
You don't have the slightest idea under God of which you speak.
Everyone was aware of a levee issue since the 70's. That tells me that NOLA was screwing up instead of taking care of business.

I disagree about incompetence. The city re-elected Nagin. What more is there to say?

Quote:
2. Roads and transit are federal issues.
My understanding is that interstate roads are federal. Not the rest of them.

Quote:
3. You have bankrupt cities which don't have the tax base to fix fundamental problems, and no one is going to move there until problems can get fixed.
The city governments have done so poorly, people are running from them. You can't hold the fed responsible for an incompetent local electorate.

Quote:
My TAX money should stay in the United States NOT Iraq.
To do that, you have to get the fed to stop spending money altogether. As long as you have Congresspeople who'll take pork, there'll be another one who'll take it too.

Demand lower taxes and less government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You didn't read of that bridge just falling apart during rush hour and later find out it was just patched here and there cause they had no money ?
Was the bridge federal, state or city responsibility? If it was federal, was it lack of money? How much pork did the state's Congresspeople take? Did they build a road to nowhere instead of their representatives taking care of what needed to be done?

You see? It's not money, it's not the president-- it's your rep's and sen's.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:20 PM

600 posts, read 1,083,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How is it we have no $$$ for roads or bridges but can scrape a few billion together to send to another country ?
Isnt it funny that the government is keeping us in a state of war and terror in order to pass things like the Patriot Act and take away our freedoms... and WE are footing the bill...

Face it people, the war is working out well for the guys in washington. They dont give a crap about you. The war allows them to keep pushing their agenda without being questioned. Remember, if you question the government you are UNPATRIOTIC!

Old 05-02-2008, 03:21 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
the Democrats have a 1 lead vote in the Senate and you need 60 votes to get anything passed but amazingly some want to blame them for not being able to stop this. If you wanted America to have a significant change in policy in Iraq you should have elected enough Dems to make a difference in the Senate instead of a symbolic vote that barely gives them a majority.
By the way how long did any of you think we could sustain the economic quagmire that is Iraq without eventually talking a toll on the economy? Iraq has become our biggest welfare state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies