Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 12:22 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times

Advertisements

I agree that all things being equal a Ph.D is more difficult than an Ed.D (I say "all things being equal" because I'd rank an Ed.D from a more demanding program at a more selective university over a Ph.D from a weaker program, for example) but I think in discussions like this people assume the reason someone goes for an Ed.D instead is that it's easier, when in reality the different degrees have different focuses. If I wanted to do education research, I'd do a Ph.D in Education. If I wanted primarily to work in schools or do educator training, or something in that line, I'd do the Ed.D. One's more about being an expert about education and the other is more about being an expert educator, I'd say.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:36 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
She actually has an Ed.D. Education's equivalent to a PhD.
No, there are education PhD's. But they aren't 3 years part time like Dr Jill's Ed.D.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:38 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Most world leaders son't use the doctor title.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel for instance has a doctorate in quantum chemistry .

Former Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar is a qualified medical doctor and returned to help patients during the Covid crisis, as did fellow MP's in the UK who are qualified medical doctors.

Coronavirus: Medic MPs return to health service - BBC News

Unelected President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen is a qualified medical doctor and taught at the Department of Epidemiology, Social Medicine and Health System Research at the Hannover Medical School.

Ursula was from an extremely wealthy family, but fled Germany in her youth after being tipped off that the communist Red Army Faction wanted to kidnap her, and she subsequently laid low in London for a number of years.
Apples and oranges. A professor is not a world leader.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Apples and oranges. A professor is not a world leader.
Not apples and oranges at all, indeed none of those I mentioned use the term doctor in relation to their political careers and that includes Angela Merkel.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:57 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Not apples and oranges at all, indeed none of those I mentioned use the term doctor in relation to their political careers and that includes Angela Merkel.
It's most certainly apples and oranges. Angela Merkel is not a "physics prof" or "education, gender studies, sociology prof". And these professors are not world leaders. You can't bucket professors and world leaders together.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:10 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I know many people that insist on being addressed as Doctor. They think it spells GOD.
LOL. You may be right.
I did have a professor who insisted on being called Dr. and he corrected ANYONE who did not. He was a jerk.

I also had a professor who did not have his doctorate and would politely inform anyone who call him Dr. J that it was Mr. J. He was an awesome person.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:20 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I swear it's ridiculous, every time this woman gets introduced she insists on being introduced as DOCTOR Jill Biden.

I know over 500 physicians, and NONE of them ever insists on being called doctor the way she does.

Yes, I know she has a doctorate in education. Yes I know that PhD and EdD graduates are technically able to call themselves "doctor"

But I swear there's some kind of low self esteem going on with this woman because I've never heard of anybody who is so ridiculous about this doctor title.
She probably thinks that many people think she must be "dumb" for marrying Joe Biden (the child molester), so she wants them to reference the "doctor" title to let people know that she is "educated", which still doesn't prove she isn't "dumb" for marrying Joe Biden, an international embarrassment.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Seems like a lot of posters on this thread don’t like and maybe are intimidated by people who have more education than them. People who have accomplishments deserve the credit whether you like them or not.

Joe Biden was a US Senator for 40+ years and Vice-President of the US. He deserves the credit for that. Dr. Jill Biden has a doctorate. She also gave a lot of her time, when she was the Vice-President’s wife, toward making the lives of service members and their families better. She is much admired for that.

As much as I despise Trump, I do admit that he is the President. I would call him Mr. President if I were to meet him.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
She probably thinks that many people think she must be "dumb" for marrying Joe Biden (the child molester), so she wants them to reference the "doctor" title to let people know that she is "educated", which still doesn't prove she isn't "dumb" for marrying Joe Biden, an international embarrassment.
You may think Dr. Jill Biden is dumb, but at least she has never been a nude model like the President’s wife (who doesn’t have a doctorate or a college degree.)

Old 12-11-2020, 04:14 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times
All sorts of doctors (medical or not) make sure it's used when being introduced. It gives the person more clout and they're proud of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.