Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 05:34 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
LOL the fact that you have DT Syndrome pretty much discredits me from actually finishing your paragraph. And the fact that you use Florida as a sole example to assuming you're right is also laughable.
So throw the personal attack and nothing on the subject matter. Typical -I know what’s going on in Fl. I cannot speak of other states, and was specific, looks like some folks can’t handle truths. In any case homelessness will become a bigger problem if Feds or locals do not help in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 05:37 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This was on the Real Estate forum, but I think it is a good question for P&OC (or possibly Great Debates):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...rium-ends.html

If masses of people are going to be evicted (due to loss of income/jobs due in large part to COVID) with no other place to go, what should the government response be, in your opinion?
Landlords will need tenants, so their apartments and homes will be filled with the next round of renters.

The ones who completely took advantage of the system shouldn't be allowed to rent again the ones who at least made an effort to pay should get a discount.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:51 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
So throw the personal attack and nothing on the subject matter. Typical -I know what’s going on in Fl. I cannot speak of other states, and was specific, looks like some folks can’t handle truths. In any case homelessness will become a bigger problem if Feds or locals do not help in some way.
My response as not much different than yours. The way I interpreted your response was I was wrong & you're automatically right because of what you see in FL. Which I believe you. I'm sure things are like that in FL. And I know what's going on in FL is in other areas. But where I'm from I know many people who choose to live in luxury before common sense.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:21 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
My response as not much different than yours. The way I interpreted your response was I was wrong & you're automatically right because of what you see in FL. Which I believe you. I'm sure things are like that in FL. And I know what's going on in FL is in other areas. But where I'm from I know many people who choose to live in luxury before common sense.
That would be true in the markets where a bungalow costs $800k. I get location. Things are changing. I just read a real estate article where there’s a shortage of properties and they expect the prices to rise for at least another year. Blows my mind. But those folks were approved and at some point qualified. I blame the banks too. But nothing is getting cheaper in housing.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:25 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This was on the Real Estate forum, but I think it is a good question for P&OC (or possibly Great Debates):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...rium-ends.html

If masses of people are going to be evicted (due to loss of income/jobs due in large part to COVID) with no other place to go, what should the government response be, in your opinion?
They will have to buck up. Should have saved 6 months to a years worth of money honey to deal with such probs.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:33 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Hasn't government hurt them enough? It should stay out of everyone's way and tear down the barriers that stop people from being productive.
Likely we will get the opposite; govt as landlord through bailouts and rent assistance for tenants creating another class of dependents.
The endgame here is a ubi
UBI is better than all these bandaid programs.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:34 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I don't know the answer but I sure wish I did. Or I sure wish someone did. This really has the potential to be truly catastrophic.
well, someone semi-famous says "Facts don't care about your feelings". So let's deal with facts.

Quote:
*For the fourth straight month, roughly one-in-three Americans failed to make a full, on-time housing payment. Late and unpaid housing bills are accumulating, putting financial strain on many families and deepening concerns of near-term evictions and foreclosures.
*As federal and local eviction bans continue expiring across the nation, 32 percent of renters (and homeowners) entered August with unpaid bills. Over 20 percent owe more than $1,000.
*Landlords are showing a willingness to negotiate payment plans with their tenants in order to keep their properties occupied. Among renters with unpaid housing bills, 49 percent have either negotiated, or are in the process of negotiating, an arrangement with their landlord.
https://www.apartmentlist.com/resear...using-payments

So approximately 66% of renters are paying on-time, 17% of renters have worked with their landlords, and 17% have put their head in the sand.

Which 17% are you going to help?

or, for more info ...

Quote:
Nevertheless, by the first week of August, 10 percent of respondents had still failed to make a full payment for July.
Quote:
By the end of July, 15 percent of renters had accumulated rent debt but owed their landlords less than $1,000, 11 percent owed between $1,000 and $2,000, and 5 percent owed more than $2,000.
are you helping the 15%, the 11%, or the 5% who have basically paid nothing - probably half of whom haven't even bothered to work with their landlords. Actually, I dare say those 5% are probably ALL who HAVEN'T worked with their landlords.

Are we to go to the landlords and say "Show us your actual expenses - mortgage interest, taxes, utilities, repairs and we'll make you whole but you don't get to profit"? Should it just be for the 26% who owed less than $2K and worked with their landlord?

I mean, that's at least a possible solution not named "I really feel bad for folks who might get evicted"

Old 10-05-2020, 06:34 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They will have to buck up. Should have saved 6 months to a years worth of money honey to deal with such probs.
Well, yes, everybody would say that they woukd like toi be in thst position. Not all are able to achieve it, In a few cases it is becuse they live beyond their means. But it seems like in more csses its that they are doing as well as they can but can only save maybe $10 per month toward the cusion. And that takes time. Not everyone is living beyind their means as a result of rampant consumerism. Some are. but generalizing is unfair.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:46 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
I don't know the answer but hopefully some people will learn to live within their means. I know some people have no choice where they live. But many people choose to live in places where it forces them to live paycheck to paycheck. And now they've been given a huge wake up call on what living within your means is all about.
Living paycheck-to-paycheck, without going into debt, IS within one's means. Or are you suggesting that having an indefinite amount of accumulated cash reserves, should be regarded as prerequisite for "living within one's means"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
...If it gets to the point where government intervention is required, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I do think the government does have a hand in this rising eviction issue because they were the ones that shut down the economy and put people out of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Hasn't government hurt them enough? It should stay out of everyone's way and tear down the barriers that stop people from being productive.
The "government intervention that is required" is for said government to remove its boot from the collective chest of business and workers, and allow the economy to reopen. Then maybe businesses will actually have some revenue, allowing them to hire-back some employees, who would actually have some money in their pockets, and be able to pay rent??

This is a problem created by government. No, not by the virus, but by government response to the virus. Now how are we going to fix it? By destroying more wealth? Oops, gotta go save some more lives... by killing some more livelihoods!

Old 10-05-2020, 06:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
if you were the one mentioning various occupations in Fl and various cities - use facts.

The per capita income in 2018 was $30,200. That's not minimum wage.
The median household income was $53,300. That's not minimum wage.

there are 670 entry-level jobs in Ocala FL paying > $15/hr on indeed.com right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies