Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 12:46 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Advertisements

What happens when the eviction moratorium ends on December 31?

Is this going to lead to major civil disorder making the BLM protests look like nothing?

What happens if multi millions of people get evicted? Is that going to be riots?

They can kick the can a month or two further with some kind of phased extension but not forever.
I don't see enough jobs coming back. There is already a small new surge of COVID in NY
Many business can't survive so by Jan 1 millions of people wont have jobs to pay rent.

can anything be done to prevent this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 03:34 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Who knows. This has never happened.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:11 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
What happens when the eviction moratorium ends on December 31?

Is this going to lead to major civil disorder making the BLM protests look like nothing?

What happens if multi millions of people get evicted? Is that going to be riots?

They can kick the can a month or two further with some kind of phased extension but not forever.
I don't see enough jobs coming back. There is already a small new surge of COVID in NY
Many business can't survive so by Jan 1 millions of people wont have jobs to pay rent.

can anything be done to prevent this?

I'm guessing not much at all with houses. What are banks going to do? Have huge portfolios on their hands to sell at depressed prices?

I'm pretty sure the banks will work out some kind of something.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:30 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
First of all, it's extremely likely that the eviction moratorium will be extended until Spring. Even after it is lifted, it can take months to run an eviction, and the courts will be so backed up that it might take a year for them to catch up.

Pity the landlords, whose property was nationalized on March 15th, 2020. They'll never collect the back rent from deadbeats (and most of those not paying rent are essentially judgement-proof, have no assets to go after, don't have wages that can be garnished). Anyone who is legal (not an illegal immigrant, not working under the table) would have received enhanced unemployment, plus the stimulus, would have been able to pay their rent. But since there are no consequences, they don't. Imagine being an owner of a two family. You live in one side, and the person who you rent to on the other side stopped paying rent in March, hasn't paid rent in 7 months, figures that they'll just stay there living for free for the duration, and move out just before they're evicted. The LL will go bankrupt trying to pay his bills, and the tenant will get off with, at worst, a small claims court judgement against him, that the LL won't ever be able to collect on, because our government confiscated the use of the LL's property, with no compensation.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:36 PM

351 posts, read 270,847 times
They will be kicked out eventually. Landlords will still file as soon as possible to get their spot in line before the thousands of others. Also, judgements will be put against them which will make it nearly impossible for them to ever advance in life until those liens are cleared. They wont ever be able to buy or sell a house etc. One of my current non-paying tenants, I know she's broke, but her parents own their own homes, so when they die she will have a large inheritance, therefore I will get what's rightfully mine. It may take years but in the end I always get my money and they won't be off the hook that easily. Also, they lose their entire security deposit, and will be responsible for the past due rent they owe ontop of late fees and my attorney legal fees.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:33 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
They will be kicked out eventually. Landlords will still file as soon as possible to get their spot in line before the thousands of others. Also, judgements will be put against them which will make it nearly impossible for them to ever advance in life until those liens are cleared. They wont ever be able to buy or sell a house etc. One of my current non-paying tenants, I know she's broke, but her parents own their own homes, so when they die she will have a large inheritance, therefore I will get what's rightfully mine. It may take years but in the end I always get my money and they won't be off the hook that easily. Also, they lose their entire security deposit, and will be responsible for the past due rent they owe ontop of late fees and my attorney legal fees.
My lawyer (I'm dealing with a group of idiot college kids/ tenants who think they can use their ethnicity to get out of paying rent during Covid) told me that he had a closing with an early 30 -something who had a "blemish" on his record from a college rental.

Lawyer's early 30-something client couldn't close on his townhouse until he paid the $2K+ in arrears/judgement (in his name AND his college roommates, but apparently his college roommates are still living in their parent's basements - so the judgement had yet to be paid off).

It will catch up with them.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:38 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
The courts in my state are hearing eviction cases, but the evictions will not have an actual eviction date until Jan. I have no idea how that will play out.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:11 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
First of all, it's extremely likely that the eviction moratorium will be extended until Spring. Even after it is lifted, it can take months to run an eviction, and the courts will be so backed up that it might take a year for them to catch up.

Pity the landlords, whose property was nationalized on March 15th, 2020. They'll never collect the back rent from deadbeats (and most of those not paying rent are essentially judgement-proof, have no assets to go after, don't have wages that can be garnished). Anyone who is legal (not an illegal immigrant, not working under the table) would have received enhanced unemployment, plus the stimulus, would have been able to pay their rent. But since there are no consequences, they don't. Imagine being an owner of a two family. You live in one side, and the person who you rent to on the other side stopped paying rent in March, hasn't paid rent in 7 months, figures that they'll just stay there living for free for the duration, and move out just before they're evicted. The LL will go bankrupt trying to pay his bills, and the tenant will get off with, at worst, a small claims court judgement against him, that the LL won't ever be able to collect on, because our government confiscated the use of the LL's property, with no compensation.

There is an unemployment benefit extension of 6 weeks of $300 payments, total $1,800

Are you in favor of it?

Old 09-26-2020, 08:42 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
There is an unemployment benefit extension of 6 weeks of $300 payments, total $1,800

Are you in favor of it?
What does that have to do with this thread?

Old 09-26-2020, 09:04 AM

307 posts, read 164,059 times
There will be a phased in approach is my guess. If you were behind before Covid, then you will probably be the first to get evicted. Next, are the people who have an income but are refusing to make payments and deal with the landlord. People who are trying to pay will probably work with the landlord or leave of their own accord. If the properties get foreclosed, those tenants will be booted because banks are a lot less understanding and have more legal resources than landlords. If teh property gets sold, those tenants can be booted at the end of the lease and, if the new owner wants it as their primary residence, they can kick out the tenants even sooner. Too bad so many people have no idea that they are putting themselves and their credit in such a precarious situation thinking they will somehow get rent forgiveness or riot their way out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate