Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 08:09 PM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

I just got through watching some of Cuties. It's clear where Netflix is going with this, but Netflix did not have to have the girls (and some of them are actually pre-teens in real life) doing some of what they did, which would be disturbing even for grown women. I thought that some of the criticism would be overblown before I watched it, but Netflix really should be ashamed of itself. I am floored. I can't finish this mess (the humping and aiding in humping the floor) was enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 09:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
For the people who are using beauty pageants as an "a-ha!" moment with this, I, and many others, have been disgusted over those for years and I would be fine with those being banned as well, or at the very least having legal guidelines that prohibit overt sexualization of children (swimsuit contests, sexy dancing, etc). Bringing up the existence of child beauty pageants as a counter-argument in Cuties' defense is imho like a rapist saying "well other guys do it too!" as a defense.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:00 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
For the people who are using beauty pageants as an "a-ha!" moment with this, I, and many others, have been disgusted over those for years and I would be fine with those being banned as well, or at the very least having legal guidelines that prohibit overt sexualization of children (swimsuit contests, sexy dancing, etc). Bringing up the existence of child beauty pageants as a counter-argument in Cuties' defense is imho like a rapist saying "well other guys do it too!" as a defense.
Except no one is defending it and it isnt an a-ha moment, nor is anyone saying "other guys do it too", we are saying you are pointing your outrage at the film, but not the things being showcased in the film itself.

Its weird proxy outrage. You could be angry at both, but you choose to only be angry at the film.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Gross, pal. I don't see little girls wearing skimpy costumes "everywhere" or anywhere for that matter. Where do you live exactly? Perhaps the FBI needs to open a field office there (not for you).
I think that poster meant on AGT and shows like that. Then there are the pageants and so forth.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Except no one is defending it and it isnt an a-ha moment, nor is anyone saying "other guys do it too", we are saying you are pointing your outrage at the film, but not the things being showcased in the film itself.

Its weird proxy outrage. You could be angry at both, but you choose to only be angry at the film.
I don't find that to be the case at all. I, personally, am angry at both, and have long been disgusted at pageants. Most of the people I encounter online are also disgusted by pageants and most certainly are outraged by the things showcased in the film... Tbh your statement makes no sense, if you aren't outraged at the things shown in the film, why be mad about it?

Old 10-07-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I think the only people who thought this movie was too much were closet pedophiles.
One of the most common things I've seen online in encountering and calling out pedos is that they will say or defend something pedophilic, someone points it out and calls them a pedo, and their immediate response is "I'm not a pedo... You're a pedo!!"

If someone was a pedo, I imagine the last thing they would want to do is bring negative attention to their lifestyle.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:51 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I see your point, but is Netflix merely showing what these parents allow their children to do as a part of these "beauty" pageants and other crap?
No.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:55 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I have not seen the movie, but will state that banjomike does have a point about talent shows.

Toddlers and Tiaras was a big ol' hit on a cable channel. I saw about 5 minutes of one episode one time, and I could not believe that people were praising that show. (Yes, others were adamantly against it, as well.) It had a huge audience in the US. In fact, I just looked up how long it ran: 7 fricken seasons.

A child's talent show should not consist of short skirts, halter tops, caked on make up, hair done up huge, and the children gyrating on the floor to show off their "dancing talent". That is what I saw in the 5 minutes I watched the show - to see what the hoopla was all about. It was disgusting. And yet, it was so popular, it ran for 7. seasons!

In addition, yes, it does depend on where you live, you most certainly will see children in clothing that is totally inappropriate.

No little girl needs to be wearing shorts that say "Juicy" on their hind end, or "Pink" or any writing at all on their hind end, nor do they need to be wearing tights as pants.

I used to work as a tour guide in the Everglades driving airboats. All kinds of people came there, from all across the globe. What I've seen little children (girls) wearing, is unbelievable. A 9 year old should not be dressed like a street walker, and yet, there they were, with their parents, no less, looking exactly like that.

The stores in some areas (Miami for sure) sell those types of clothes in regular stores - like Target, for example. I could not believe what they were selling for little girls to wear in a Target in Miami. It stopped me in my tracks, and I admit, I stared at it all, dumbfounded. Why are these clothes being sold to little girls? It was like looking at "h00ker starter kits". They were not in the teens section, they were in the little girls section.

On that note, banjomike is not wrong. It is out there. We've had "talent" shows air, for multiple seasons, completely exploiting children - pushed on by mothers who try to live through their tots, vicariously.

Then we get to the teen age years - none of you can deny that we have teen aged girls all over this country dressed like street walkers. They dress like that to go to school. They dress like that to go shopping. They dress like that to go to the movies with their friends. Showing the entire world their adolescent bodies.

Call me whatever you want, but I actually called out a lady one time who was parading her half dressed teen aged daughter in front of a bunch of grown men on a soccer field. Normally, I see how parents allow their girls to dress, and I keep it to myself how repulsive I think it is, but on that day, actually parading her teen aged daughter in very skimpy clothes to a field of grown men, who were definitely looking at this very teen aged girl - I just reacted. It was too much.

banjomike isn't "trying" to normalize this, in some areas, he's absolutely right, it already is.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00lucky00 View Post
says someone who is ok with this pedobait
In case you havent noticed, pedophilia is a growing problem today, we have human traffickers out scouring American neighborhoods, looking to kidnap kids, in order to sell them as sex slaves for petes sake!!

It is unbelievable how many people who seem to want this kind of thing to go 'underground' and remain there!!

Im of the opposite opinion, awareness needs to be raised how bad this has become today, keeping it 'underground' protects these pedos and allows them to continue on.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:40 PM

391 posts, read 424,901 times
Texas politicians live for piling onto nonsensical right-wing controversies like this. It's the "transgender bathrooms" issue all over again.

When Tucker Carlson and the conservative noise machine started stirring up all the outrage I just rolled my eyes. Look at this thread - banjomike posts a thoughtful and well-reasoned comment about the merits of these complaints not one of these sock puppets tried to engage in a rational discussion of his points. The only strategy in propaganda campaigns like this is to shout louder and hurl insults.

That's fine, that's politics. But when elected officials start tying up court resources with this nonsense then it's time for them to go. I hope the Tyler County District Attorney and State Rep. Matt Schaefer both lose their re-election bids. This is an embarrassment for Texas and the intelligent people who live here.

Last edited by Mandres; 10-08-2020 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies