Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 06:00 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Isn't Pence a felon ....

Link? Felons can vote in Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 06:04 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Voter ID would clear this travesty up
Indiana requires photo voter id issued either by the State of Indiana or the US Government

Old 10-10-2020, 06:43 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
This doesn't bother me so long as Indiana is the only place where he votes. I went to college out of my home state and kept my residency in my home state using my mother's address. I had no idea where I would end up after college so that made more sense than registereing in the state where I went to college. I didn't own any property, but I was essentially doing the same thing Pence is doing, using my last address before going out of state for four years of college. I think that's pretty common.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:46 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
If Pence sold his private residence when he moved into the Governor's mansion, that could make the mansion his last official address, I think. Especially if he owns no property in D.C.

You don't have to be a homeowner to qualify to vote. But if you do own a home, or several in different states, you can only vote in one state.
If there's a question over residence, I'm sure Pence could clear it up in a day or two with no probs. He could list a relative's home, or a friend's, a rental, or start the purchase of a house. If he's been paying his taxes in Indiana all along, any of that would qualify him, especially since he's been long-registered on the voting rolls there.

And since he went straight from the Governor's mansion to D.C. as an elected official in both places, I doubt Indiana would ever disqualify him.

He won't have to go back to Indiana to vote. They could send him an absentee ballot.

Trump, too. If he goes home in Florida, it will be to make a show of his voting there. It's already listed as his official residence. I tend to think he'll never live in New York permanently again. He likes Florida much better.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:04 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
This doesn't bother me so long as Indiana is the only place where he votes. I went to college out of my home state and kept my residency in my home state using my mother's address. I had no idea where I would end up after college so that made more sense than registereing in the state where I went to college. I didn't own any property, but I was essentially doing the same thing Pence is doing, using my last address before going out of state for four years of college. I think that's pretty common.
the current governor of Indiana is not Pence's mother, though, and he has no reasonable expectation of living at that address again even on a short term basis, the way many recent college graduates might before they get established in a new location.

I do think this is potentially problematic. I am not suggesting that Pence is trying to vote twice, but it would be interesting to know if he has been filing taxes as an Indiana resident and paying those state taxes.

From my recollection, all recent Presidents and Vice Presidents have owned property in the state they continued to claim as their legal residence and continued to vote in that location. I think Pence's connection to Indiana is clearly much more tenuous and it could be that he should be subject to the voting laws of the location he currently resides in, when he has no other residence to claim.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:15 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
I imagine it falls under the same rules as military, Peace Corps, overseas Department of State workers, Department of Defense employees, and college students - residents of the state who are temporarily living outside the state for purposes that are not considered a permanent move, and I know with the military, Department of State and Department of Defense employees whether or not they maintain a residence in the state is immaterial. When I lived on bases in states like California, Tennessee, Virginia, Texas, Illinois, Kansas, etc., we remained Kentucky residents, and voted in Kentucky elections, despite it being decades since living there and having no actual Kentucky address to give them. They used the precinct of our last Kentucky address until we returned. Yes, multiple people not related to us in any way lived there during that time period.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:42 PM

490 posts, read 152,440 times
Voter suppression!

Old 10-10-2020, 07:57 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Trump, too. If he goes home in Florida, it will be to make a show of his voting there. It's already listed as his official residence. I tend to think he'll never live in New York permanently again.
Well, not voluntarily

Old 10-10-2020, 08:05 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
the current governor of Indiana is not Pence's mother, though, and he has no reasonable expectation of living at that address again even on a short term basis, the way many recent college graduates might before they get established in a new location.

I do think this is potentially problematic. I am not suggesting that Pence is trying to vote twice, but it would be interesting to know if he has been filing taxes as an Indiana resident and paying those state taxes.

From my recollection, all recent Presidents and Vice Presidents have owned property in the state they continued to claim as their legal residence and continued to vote in that location. I think Pence's connection to Indiana is clearly much more tenuous and it could be that he should be subject to the voting laws of the location he currently resides in, when he has no other residence to claim.
Most politicians maintain a residence of some kind in their home state because they have to have one to qualify to be on the ballot for every office except President or V.P.

Both, it would seem, must have a permanent residence somewhere to qualify as a registered voter. That's a qualification for either job.

I guess we'll see... It is interesting; several elections ago,here in Idaho we had a nut case independent who lived in a motor home and qualified to be on the ballot.

Apparently, as I recall, he purchased the motor home so he could move to the county where he got the most votes in a previous election, and wanted to be declared a permanent resident there, not where his house was, way down at the other end of the state.

Maybe that's a mobile loophole in Idaho law for state elections only? I don't know.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:40 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

One of the previous posters indicated that the law should probably be clarified for cases like this, and I think in the end that is the simple end of it. I don't think Pence's connection with Indiana is tenuous.....he was born there, went to school there and represented an Indiana district in Congress before becoming Governor of Indiana. I'm not sure he's lived anywhere else before becoming VP. So my gut tells me he should be able to vote in Indiana if he hasn't decided to move away permanently.

Last edited by CrowGirl; 10-10-2020 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies