Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 09:21 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

The internet has made people lazier and more ignorant than ever before.

One would have thought the easy availability of information online would make people more informed and accountable, but in fact it seems to make people even more ignorant.

You could post links to articles that refute a viewpoint yet stubborn people ignore that and blatantly continue to lie and spout falsehoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 09:25 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

I will say this, though: I think society was far better off BEFORE the internet and computer age. I look back on that time quite fondly.
Lets face it...every generation says that.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:13 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The internet has made people lazier and more ignorant than ever before.

One would have thought the easy availability of information online would make people more informed and accountable, but in fact it seems to make people even more ignorant.

You could post links to articles that refute a viewpoint yet stubborn people ignore that and blatantly continue to lie and spout falsehoods.

I think the underlying issue is a lack of critical thinking skills.

Those skills must be taught -- by someone -- to the next generation. I educated my kids on the topic of critical thinking early on. In the 21st century world of public schools, I don't think the schools are interested in the ability of the students to think critically. And that's a problem.

Old 10-11-2020, 11:48 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I was sort of agreeing with you until you went to a one-sided political rant.

There's plenty of RW groups like QAnon that indoctrinate the others. Difference is that well, Q is more based on conspiracies like pizzagate etc. As for devices, it's more of the content. And that content is social media.

I use IG to promote some work I do for animation logo design.Facebook, I see order people posting political memes etc. I never really use twitter, and snapchat I just mainly chat with close friends on there.

But basically, the issue with social media platforms is that your looking at highlight reels from people's lives. The technology can be good, but it's a double edged sword.
This documentary on Netflix actually goes into detail how they play into each side (republicans and democrats). After watching it, I went to yahoo pulled it up on my regular search engine, then went incognito. It was a big difference.

Yes social media is a double edged sword. My sisters MIL found her moms best friend for years this last week...then there is also the bad.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:09 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
This documentary on Netflix actually goes into detail how they play into each side (republicans and democrats). After watching it, I went to yahoo pulled it up on my regular search engine, then went incognito. It was a big difference.

Yes social media is a double edged sword. My sisters MIL found her moms best friend for years this last week...then there is also the bad.
Finally, someone who actually watched it. How do you go incognito?

Old 10-12-2020, 09:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Finally, someone who actually watched it. How do you go incognito?
On my search engine, I right click and it pulls up the option.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Kids AND adults addicted to technology. There are real physical symptoms to withdrawal. I have said for years that this is what is causing all the anxiety and depression, especially in young people and all the social ramifications of the lack of real life meaningful relationships that are happening as a result of this.
Good points.

That is spot on. They are addicted. There's even people receiving Social Security Disability benefits or Supplemental Security Income benefits because of it.

We had actually made great gains toward eradicating bullying.

Now, here comes Social Media and not only have all those gains been erased, bullying has increased 10-fold.

Quote:
SCHOOLS are addicting kids to devices as young as kindergarten.
That is largely a marketing gimmick.

Well, actually, it's two marketing gimmicks in one.

First, it's branding. It's indoctrinating and brainwashing children to become hooked to a certain cell phone service provider, a certain cell phone manufacture, a certain maker of laptops, notebooks and desktops.

It's also a clever way of keeping them as customers for life and with little or no advertising costs since the schools are pushing it for them and absorbing and bearing the brunt of the advertising costs.

Do kids need to learn technology?

Yes, in high school. There's no harm to society or the labor force by holding off until they are in high school.

One thing we are seeing now that is harmful to society is that low-income households either don't have computers or don't have internet.

You know, if you rent a computer/laptop from Rent-A-Center you won't be able to afford internet every month.

It also unfairly coerces them into juggling their finances to pay for internet (although I'm not sure less bling-bling is a bad thing).

Quote:
And lastly, the political ramifications. The internet is radicalizing people. Why do you think groups like Antifa and BLM are out there all the time? They are being organized online. The results of the rioting and looting are devastating to black communities for years to come and will keep them in poverty for decades. Watts still has never recovered from the rioting that went on decades ago.
You do realize all it would take is 2-3 well-placed 450 kt nuclear warheads detonated at an altitude of 85 miles above Earth right over the US to put the US into the Stone Age for 2-3 centuries, right?

300 Million Americans would be dead in 6-9 months of starvation, dehydration, disease, illness, accident, injury, violence, or by their own hand.

Yes, dehydration.

The key is clean, safe drinking-water. I was just assuming people didn't wanna drink water contaminated with cholera, dysentery or typhus, because that's not even cool.

If you dumped a 450 kt warhead 85 miles over Afghanistan, nothing would happen very slowly.

Unless you lived in Kabul. They electric would be out for maybe a year, and you'd have to steal a new cell-phone, but no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies