Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 06:53 PM

73,097 posts, read 62,737,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
I don't care who doesn't like it. Blacks fought for the confederacy, there are blacks in the sons of confederate veterans etc.

Whew, you certainly care, you are so triggered.

To the extent our history keeps coming under attack year after year yes we are still fighting.
Blacks were not allowed to fight for the Confederacy until the war came into its last stages. And far more Blacks fought for the Union than the Confederacy. Any Black involvement with the Confederacy involved being the cooks, the teamsters, and the laborers. There were far more reports of Blacks fighting for the Union than the Confederacy.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...black-soldiers

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/a...k-confederates

And the few Blacks in the SCV do not negate the fact that most Blacks view the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism. Instead of saying that you don't care who doesn't like it, answer this question: Why do most Blacks, a majority of whom as southerners, view the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism?

Old 10-14-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
The confederacy is part of the history of the South, like it or not.

It's so far distant in the past that it's not a literal thing that is going to "come back" and it doesn't mean that you support slavery.

It's simply a symbol of the South's culture.

Why can't you liberals ever give someone the benefit of the doubt in your cancel culture mindset? Why do you always have to think the worst and spoil even innocuous things for everyone?

To show how much liberals have changed over a short period of time, less than 40 years ago the #1 show on CBS was the Dukes of Hazzard.

Now they would throw an insane hissy fit if that show were aired anywhere, much less on liberal network TV!

Loosen up!
Explain this. Why do most African-Americans, a majority of whom are southerners, view the Confederate flag as a racist symbol?

If it's a symbol of southerner culture, then more African-Americans would be flying it. The opposite is happening.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:00 PM

18,513 posts, read 8,331,509 times
Irony....when the same group...trying to erase/cancel one people's culture....call themselves Afro-Americans

Old 10-14-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Irony....when the same group...trying to erase/cancel one people's culture....call themselves Afro-Americans
I would expect such a comment. I see no irony because the Confederate cause, and the Confederate flag have no place in modern American society.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:07 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,036,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Blacks were not allowed to fight for the Confederacy until the war came into its last stages. And far more Blacks fought for the Union than the Confederacy. Any Black involvement with the Confederacy involved being the cooks, the teamsters, and the laborers. There were far more reports of Blacks fighting for the Union than the Confederacy.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...black-soldiers

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/a...k-confederates

And the few Blacks in the SCV do not negate the fact that most Blacks view the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism. Instead of saying that you don't care who doesn't like it, answer this question: Why do most Blacks, a majority of whom as southerners, view the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism?
They were taught to hate it. Odd that they hate the confederate flag which NEVER flew over a slave ship but like the American flag which DID fly over slave ships. It's all about conditioning.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:11 PM

25,884 posts, read 18,912,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Go back and read the rest of my post instead of limiting your post to the first sentence. Otherwise, you would have been better of not responding in the first place. I know you ignored the rest of my post for a reason.
I read all of your post. The intent of mine was to point out that different people have different perspectives on that flag. It meant nothing much in my area at that time. It meant something in your area. See how that works? Lots of flags and symbols mean lots of different things to lots of different people. It almost sounds like if blacks find something offensive, you think everyone should find it offensive. And don't immediately start talking racism, because that symbol was not taken as a "racist" symbol by everyone not all that long ago. That's what I was trying to say in that last post that offended you so badly. Different regions of the country... different attitudes and interpretations. I'm sure there is something that would have offended people around my area and would not have offended people in your area somewhere along the line.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:23 PM

The Confederate flag represents the Confederate cause. The Confederate cause was spelled out in the Articles of Secession, the Confederate Constitution, and the Cornerstone Speech. It was about keeping Black people enslaved in perpetuity. It's no coincidence that the first states to secede were also had the most slaves. Those who wanted secession made no bones about the fact that they wanted secession because they wanted to keep slavery. Slavery was among the biggest reasons. It says so in the Articles of Secession. The Confederate Constitution explicitly protected the institution of slavery. In the Cornerstone Speech, Alexander H. Stephens explicitly stated that enslaving Blacks was the cornerstone of the Confederate nation. Here is a quote from him.

Quote:
Its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth
And William Tappan Thompson, the founder of the Savannah Morning News, promoted the "Stainless Banner", which includes the Star and Bars we're so familiar with in terms of the Confederate flag. This is what he had to say.

Quote:
As a people, we are fighting to maintain the heaven ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race: a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause.
Quote:
While we consider the flag which has been adopted by the senate as a very decided improvement of the old United States flag, we still think the battle flag on a pure white field would be more appropriate and handsome.

Such a flag would be a suitable emblem of our young confederacy, and sustained by the brave hearts and strong arms of the south, it would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN'S FLAG.

As a people, we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause
The facts show that the Confederacy's goal was explicitly to keep Blacks enslaved. No one can say that slavery and white supremacy had nothing to do with it. This is why I'm happy when Confederate statues get taken down and I'm happy to see Confederate flags declared socially and morally reprehensible.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:26 PM

8,357 posts, read 2,981,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I read all of your post. The intent of mine was to point out that different people have different perspectives on that flag. It meant nothing much in my area at that time. It meant something in your area. See how that works? Lots of flags and symbols mean lots of different things to lots of different people. It almost sounds like if blacks find something offensive, you think everyone should find it offensive. And don't immediately start talking racism, because that symbol was not taken as a "racist" symbol by everyone not all that long ago. That's what I was trying to say in that last post that offended you so badly. Different regions of the country... different attitudes and interpretations. I'm sure there is something that would have offended people around my area and would not have offended people in your area somewhere along the line.
Wife and I built our Victorian home and painted it white. The neighbor found the color (too bright?) offensive. Somebody is always offended by something. Too bad. For them.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
They were taught to hate it. Odd that they hate the confederate flag which NEVER flew over a slave ship but like the American flag which DID fly over slave ships. It's all about conditioning.
By whom, and why? Ask yourself where that hatred for the Confederate flag came from. And come up with something better than "the leftists".

Something else. The Confederacy didn't exist until 1861. That's why it never flew over any ships. The Confederate cause, however, was explicitly about keeping Blacks enslaved, and the Confederate cause represents that. No matter how you feel about the Confederate flag, it represents a cause that was dedicated to keeping Blacks enslaved and explicitly furthering white supremacy. Alexander Stephens, the VP of the Confederacy, had this to say.

Quote:
Its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
That was an excerpt from The Cornerstone Speech. I say Black Americans have every reason to hate the Confederate flag. I sure hate the Confederate flag.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:35 PM

8,946 posts, read 2,974,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Don't use your weak labels on me

Liberal, lol

I'm just saying its odd and it doesn't make sense to me

Does anybody refer to themselves as a Confederate?
Why did CBS have a #1 show using the confederate symbols?

Does that also not make sense to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies