Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 09:52 AM

552 posts, read 226,048 times

Advertisements

Historically, there has always been a homelessness crisis of people who cannot for whatever reason
pay for/maintain to keep a roof over their heads.

I saw a silent movie where in one of the scenes, an elderly woman lived out in the sticks in a large
old house. There was a sign on the house that indicated it was a rooming house for the poor.

A friend of mine bought a large Victorian era house. It had numerous rooms, with numbers on
the doors. In the old days, poor people rented rooms in rooming houses. In some cases, they
could not afford to pay rent. Many places offered institutional type of housing. My son worked
in a building like that, the historical plaque said it was built to provide housing for the homeless
widows of Confederate soldiers. It stayed that way until 1963.

I lived in Southern and Northern California when the institutions were defunded. Suddenly
their were homeless people everywhere on the streets. Institutionalizing of the homeless
has historically existed in most countries, under various scenarios and situations. Before
that, the homeless were imprisoned. Australia was populated by ships of Irish and English
"criminals" who were mainly too poor to pay for food.

I have seen cartoon editorials from the mid 1800's early New York City. They show homeless
families huddled in the street as the housing prices skyrocket so high that only the rich
can afford to live there. I also have seen a cartoon editorial from the era that shows a
skinny young girl dressed in rags, hauling loads for the rich obese men who owned businesses.
The loads the girl carried had the word "Dividends" written on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 07:59 PM

35,845 posts, read 21,244,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
She has two Master's Degrees? In what? Anyone else see the problem with her "degrees" that she's exposed?

She's supposedly "educated" yet somehow is homeless.
There was a story of a young man doing a go fund me thing for his ex teacher. Saw one day and he was living in his car. It happens. More than you know.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:02 PM

35,845 posts, read 21,244,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrose View Post
Historically, there has always been a homelessness crisis of people who cannot for whatever reason
pay for/maintain to keep a roof over their heads.

I saw a silent movie where in one of the scenes, an elderly woman lived out in the sticks in a large
old house. There was a sign on the house that indicated it was a rooming house for the poor.

A friend of mine bought a large Victorian era house. It had numerous rooms, with numbers on
the doors. In the old days, poor people rented rooms in rooming houses. In some cases, they
could not afford to pay rent. Many places offered institutional type of housing. My son worked
in a building like that, the historical plaque said it was built to provide housing for the homeless
widows of Confederate soldiers. It stayed that way until 1963.

I lived in Southern and Northern California when the institutions were defunded. Suddenly
their were homeless people everywhere on the streets. Institutionalizing of the homeless
has historically existed in most countries, under various scenarios and situations. Before
that, the homeless were imprisoned. Australia was populated by ships of Irish and English
"criminals" who were mainly too poor to pay for food.

I have seen cartoon editorials from the mid 1800's early New York City. They show homeless
families huddled in the street as the housing prices skyrocket so high that only the rich
can afford to live there. I also have seen a cartoon editorial from the era that shows a
skinny young girl dressed in rags, hauling loads for the rich obese men who owned businesses.
The loads the girl carried had the word "Dividends" written on them.
They made many of these houses , some called - flop houses, illegal. Probably the hotel lobbyists.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:54 PM

30,282 posts, read 18,837,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
People think homelessness is a big city issue. The reality is...people from small towns that end up homeless end up in big cities-because thats where the help is. Know why theres not much homelessness in South Dakota? Cause they freeze to death in the winter.
................... which is what makes living in those places pleasant. My wife and I will retire in Iowa, as we have farmland and family there.

The saying there is that twenty below zero helps keep the riff-raff out.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,748,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
People think homelessness is a big city issue. The reality is...people from small towns that end up homeless end up in big cities-because thats where the help is. Know why theres not much homelessness in South Dakota? Cause they freeze to death in the winter.
WRONG. Small towns do have homeless shelters. Police in my small town went looking for people at known homeless camps to take some willing to the local Mission of Hope homeless shelter during the below zero weather with snow during the freak cold spell in February. The only catch is that you may be required to show an ID at a homeless shelter to make sure you're not a sex offender.
http://www.stillwatermoh.org/

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-20-2021 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-20-2021, 11:11 PM

3,005 posts, read 1,508,513 times
When the farms became more mechanized, one farmer and a tractor worked land that was previously many small farms. The other farmers moved to cities to work in factories. Then the factories were moved to other nations with cheaper labor. Now we have a vast homeless population. Later, the farms will de-mechanize as the machines run out of fossil fuels. The nation will eventually relearn the skills of small scale labor intensive farming, but starvation will reduce our numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies