Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 08:13 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,794,816 times

Advertisements

[quote=The Dark Enlightenment;59446881]OK, but as an instructor of college mathematics you are teaching a highly selected group. The average black kid has an 85 IQ. How many of the students you have successfully taught college algebra and first year calculus had an IQ of 85 or less? Not many, I would imagine, because these kids are mostly filtered out before they ever get to your class.

So no, skin color doesn't determine ability, but population groups do have different levels of ability on average and yes, that does factor in achievement

Hogwash. I would like to observe the data backing the sample size coupled with pool of participates.

Due to the enormous population as European-Americans our IQ must rest below half of the proposed 85 for those in the black community.

Furthermore-As a Physics major; undergrad and grad..a majority of my black counterparts were leaps and bounds beyound many of my fellow classmates. As a high school student this could said about majority of them as well.

Infuse Africans and islanders (Trinidadian, St.croix, Barbados, etc) in the pack and certainly the 85 IQ shenanigans grows weaker.

Last edited by SPECFRCE; 10-20-2020 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 09:08 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,891,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
To your point and one most Americans overlook..European-American (white) women; yes our sisters, aunts, mothers,and daughters have benefited vastly from Affirmative action and the civil rights movement.

Strangely two movements heavily associated with the black community gave breathe and cleared the lanes for white women to move about freely.
That's not true. White women, as have all women, benefited from the barring of sex based discrimination, not from the barring of race based discrimination. Affirmative action is when some one who has lower qualifications and merit is given opportunity over someone with higher qualifications and merit. White women generally have to qualify.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:16 PM

[quote=SPECFRCE;59456979]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
OK, but as an instructor of college mathematics you are teaching a highly selected group. The average black kid has an 85 IQ. How many of the students you have successfully taught college algebra and first year calculus had an IQ of 85 or less? Not many, I would imagine, because these kids are mostly filtered out before they ever get to your class.

So no, skin color doesn't determine ability, but population groups do have different levels of ability on average and yes, that does factor in achievement

Hogwash. I would like to observe the data backing the sample size coupled with pool of participates.

Due to the enormous population as European-Americans our IQ must rest below half of the proposed 85 for those in the black community.

Furthermore-As a Physics major; undergrad and grad..a majority of my black counterparts were leaps and bounds beyound many of my fellow classmates. As a high school student this could said about majority of them as well.

Infuse Africans and islanders (Trinidadian, St.croix, Barbados, etc) in the pack and certainly the 85 IQ shenanigans grows weaker.
I would like to observe the data backing the sample size coupled with the pool of participates. You are making the same argument in reverse that Dark Enlightenment is, and I'm certain his claim is backed by a lot more IQ research data than your claim.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:07 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,794,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's not true. White women, as have all women, benefited from the barring of sex based discrimination, not from the barring of race based discrimination. Affirmative action is when some one who has lower qualifications and merit is given opportunity over someone with higher qualifications and merit. White women generally have to qualify.
Actually I'm quite accurate.

Affirmative Action:* (in the context of the allocation of resources or employment) the practice or policy of favoring individuals belonging to groups known to have been discriminated against previously.

https://ideas.time.com/2013/06/17/af...e-than-anyone/

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life...facts-history/

Another great read from school circa 2015:
The Ironies of Affirmative Action
Kermit Roosevelt III
University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School

Last edited by SPECFRCE; 10-21-2020 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-21-2020, 05:11 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,773,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I have taught college mathematics since 1993. Either you put in the effort and "get it" or you don't. I've never had a student of any ethnicity who could not understand the material and get a passing (often better) grade, assuming they bothered to put in the effort. The only students I've ever had who were mentally unable to understand the material no matter the effort were those with an actual handicap.
Tell me, Chris, how are you with analytic number theory? How about algebraic geometry? Have you mastered these fields? If not, why not? Was it a lack of effort on your part? Do you have some handicap? If you just tried a little harder, wouldn't you be publishing papers expounding on these topics?

I'm being facetious of course, but hopefully you see my point. Lots of people have low IQs, and most of them are not "handicapped" in the way that you mean. They are normal people, but calculus is as hard for them as some difficult areas of mathematics are for the average mathematician. Declaring that a sub-85 IQ kid can do calculus if he only puts in the effort is pretty extreme moralizing and just as absurd as me chiding you for failing to do Fields Medal caliber work.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,036,424 times
For anyone who lives in the Silicon Valley, they would notice how whites are the minority, by a significant margin in AP classes. Why aren't liberals here trying to close the reverse minority gap here between Whites and Asians. Why can't we have affirmative action where we try to increase the number of White kids taking AP calculus and give them brownie points just for being White?

Old 10-21-2020, 07:04 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,130,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
For anyone who lives in the Silicon Valley, they would notice how whites are the minority, by a significant margin in AP classes. Why aren't liberals here trying to close the reverse minority gap here between Whites and Asians. Why can't we have affirmative action where we try to increase the number of White kids taking AP calculus and give them brownie points just for being White?
Because it defies the Lefts goals.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:13 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,036,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Because it defies the Lefts goals.

So those AP calculus tests aren't culturally biased towards kids whose parents immigrated from the foreign cultures of India and Korea and biased against White kids who are 10th generation + American? Who would know?

Old 10-21-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
So those AP calculus tests aren't culturally biased towards kids whose parents immigrated from the foreign cultures of India and Korea and biased against White kids who are 10th generation + American? Who would know?
Liberals explanation is that Whites are academically lazier than Asians, but that blacks and hispanics aren't academically lazier than whites, but being discriminated against by whites. But for some strange reason white's discrimination isn't against Asians. It makes no sense because it's just liberal anti-White scapegoating BS.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:29 PM

25,874 posts, read 18,894,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Tell me, Chris, how are you with analytic number theory? How about algebraic geometry? Have you mastered these fields? If not, why not? Was it a lack of effort on your part? Do you have some handicap? If you just tried a little harder, wouldn't you be publishing papers expounding on these topics?

I'm being facetious of course, but hopefully you see my point. Lots of people have low IQs, and most of them are not "handicapped" in the way that you mean. They are normal people, but calculus is as hard for them as some difficult areas of mathematics are for the average mathematician. Declaring that a sub-85 IQ kid can do calculus if he only puts in the effort is pretty extreme moralizing and just as absurd as me chiding you for failing to do Fields Medal caliber work.
At one point I was minimally competent in those branches. Still have several texts dealing with analytic number theory and algebraic geometry (truthfully, I never really enjoyed real analysis or the various spinoffs all that much--I was more into discrete structures, combinatorics, probability, mathematical statistics, and abstract algebraic) lying around somewhere. But today? No. No way. Too many years have passed and unfortunately, I have somewhat of an obsessive compulsive personality type. It's great for intense, single-minded pursuits over span of time, but when a new passion comes along the old one tends to be switched off like a light bulb. And higher math was about 5 passions ago. It was preceded by programming/coding, and followed by languages, linguistics, grammar (from a linguistic point of view), speculative fiction writing, and several other things.

As to your point. It depends on how those topics are taught and at what level. Honestly, introductory calculus (as in the first year) is not really much more difficult than college algebra. In fact, it is the algebra rather than the actual calculus that trips most students up (algebra being used in a way that isn't shown in the typical algebra sequence). So, yeah, I know that a truly "lacking" (mathematically) student isn't going to be an A student in college math. But would he or she be doing well in any subject that involves critical, logical, or computational thinking? And as you mentioned before, there is a bit of weeding out before college level math comes along.

However, I have had many, many students who come to me with a real deficiency in math and have a very hard time with it. I have to say that if the algebra sequence is taught the "right way" for these types of students, they CAN at least pass. I've seen it hundreds of times even if they are on their third or fourth try. What works as far as teaching and presenting is using a pattern oriented approach, a more "cookbook" style, and repetition with problem solving and algebra manipulation many, many more times than a "typical" student. Teach it as a process rather than abstract theorems and concepts. Of course, that's not possible in higher math, for the most part. But those students won't be going that far anyway. They are just trying to get through their general ed stuff (which typically ends with college algebra and sometimes beginning calculus, depending on the major).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies