Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 09:47 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times

Advertisements

It's hilarious but absolutely expected that former band members would feel an urgent need to be proactive and speak out against these type of things, lest they be considered 'racist hatemongers.'

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...son-al-jardine

Quote:
Brian Wilson and Al Jardine spoke out against Mike Love's decision to have the Beach Boys perform Sunday at a fundraiser for President Trump in Newport Beach, Calif.

The former band members told Variety through a spokesperson, “We have absolutely nothing to do with the Trump benefit today in Newport Beach. Zero. We didn’t even know about it and were very surprised to read about it in the Los Angeles Times.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 09:57 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Has any Hollywood celebrity come out against any celebrity supporter of Biden's?

Or is it just Trump celebrity supporters that get vilified?

Asking because I don't know that answer.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:01 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Key words:

former band members.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Has any Hollywood celebrity come out against any celebrity supporter of Biden's?

Oh dear -- another claim of the right being a victim.

Kid Rock blasted Taylor Swift.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:07 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:

To be fair, Brian Wilson has EVERY RIGHT and reason to speak out negatively against the Beach Boy's choice to participate in a Trump fundraiser, because the Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys. If Mike Love intends to completely change the appeal and the personality of The Beach Boys music group, he should come up with a different name and not draft off the positive reputation and public goodwill built by Brian Wilson and the original band.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:10 AM

11,805 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
To be fair, Brian Wilson has EVERY RIGHT and reason to speak out negatively against the Beach Boy's choice to participate in a Trump fundraiser, because the Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys. If Mike Love intends to completely change the appeal and the personality of The Beach Boys music group, he should come up with a different name and not draft off the positive reputation and public goodwill built by Brian Wilson and the original band.
A little bit of history for you Clara - Mike Love was one of the original Beach Boys and vocalist and has as much of a right to use the name.

Michael Edward Love (born March 15, 1941) is an American singer and songwriter who co-founded the Beach Boys. Characterized by his nasal tenor and occasionally baritone singing, Love has been one of the band's vocalists and lyricists for their entire career, contributing to each of their studio albums and serving as their frontman for live performances. He is the cousin of bandmates Brian, Carl, and Dennis Wilson, and is often regarded as a maligned figure in the group's history, a reputation he acknowledges: "For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:12 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Oh please. Wilson quit The Beach Boys in 1964 and has only played with them for a handful of shows in fifty-six years. While he is undoubtedly a huge facet of the band’s history, he hasn’t been on a stage with them since 2012.

“Positive reputation and public goodwill” .... bwhahaha.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:12 AM

8,631 posts, read 10,159,573 times
Quote:

Rose McGowan sure blasted Alyssa Milano and that was a treat to watch.

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/stat...52442812690433

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/stat...18093089230849

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/stat...18097740767233

Old 10-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Key words:

former band members.
It would be interesting to see what is in their legal papers, when Brian Wilson retired from the band and Mike Love continued using the same songs and name and reputation.

Jimmy Stewart led a movement in the late 1980's against movie companies changing the movies that were made previously - specifically, the colorization of his masterpiece, It's A Wonderful Life. He was fighting against colorization of movies, and other changes, that significantly altered the original art. The thought was, you buy the movie rights, and that gives you the right to show the movie and profit from it, but NOT change it significantly.

Brian Wilson put his life into the Beach Boys. I wonder what the financial deal was, when Mike Love continued using the music created and popularized by Brian Wilson et al?

Brian Wilson seems to be in the same place right now that Jimmy Stewart was in with regards to the art he created.

I would think it's quite possible that the deal is, you can sing all the old songs, you can profit off it, but you can't completely change the personality and feel of the band and continue using the brand.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Oh please. Wilson quit The Beach Boys in 1964 and has only played with them for a handful of shows in fifty-six years. While he is undoubtedly a huge facet of the band’s history, he hasn’t been on a stage with them since 2012.

“Positive reputation and public goodwill” .... bwhahaha.
That's funny, because I've seen the Beach Boys twice and Brian Wilson was there both times.

It's his brand, his band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies