Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 10:32 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,484,253 times

Advertisements

Because it's been a long time since politics has so thoroughly permeated the zeitgeist in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 10:35 AM

38,703 posts, read 26,510,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
If the young were voting in larger than average numbers, Bernie Sanders would have been the Democratic nominee, not Joe Biden.
/thread

Old 10-21-2020, 10:43 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,698,942 times
I think young voters are showing up because Trump is a dumpster fire. Period. They are the ones who are going to suffer most if his "policies" (I use the term loosely) are put into effect for another four years. Old people may not mind that the West Coast is on fire. They'll be dead before the proverbial you know what really hits the fan. They like their Archie Bunker president. He makes them laugh. Young people don't have the luxury of laughing though. They get that they need to roll up their sleeves and change the dirty diaper Boomers have left them.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:47 AM

3,285 posts, read 1,358,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think young voters are showing up because Trump is a dumpster fire. Period. They are the ones who are going to suffer most if his "policies" (I use the term loosely) are put into effect for another four years. Old people may not mind that the West Coast is on fire. They'll be dead before the proverbial you know what really hits the fan. They like their Archie Bunker president. He makes them laugh. Young people don't have the luxury of laughing though. They get that they need to roll up their sleeves and change the dirty diaper Boomers have left them.
Can’t agree with this more. Climate change is a huge issue for us. I’ll be interested to see the climate change discussion in tomorrow’s debate.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:48 AM

11,489 posts, read 11,199,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Why are young voters so engaged this year, with two presidential candidates who are so much older than we are?
Because they have been brainwashed to believe that one party in particular will give them a ton of free stuff for simply existing. Young people like free stuff. They just look at it as an extension of Mommy and Daddy.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:53 AM

1,745 posts, read 968,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I have already predicted this back in the summer:

When you care enough to spend a whole day protesting against right-wing fascism, you are also going to spend a few minutes to register to vote against the fascists.

Close to every single one of them will vote in this election, and they are people who normally don't. In fact, judging by the social media, they more eager to vote than ever before.

And I think your prediction is wrong on every level.

There are no fascists running in this election. Just as there are no communists running in this election. Calling anyone you disagree with a fascist doesn’t make them one. This overly dramatic name calling on both sides is damaging to civil political discourse. This is equally true of anyone on the right calling Biden, Harris, or Bernie Communists.

There were large protests, riots, and political violence in Portland right after the 2016 election. “The Oregonian” newspaper did a study on a group that got arrested. If I remember correctly, out of roughly 60-70 people that were arrested for rioting because they were so upset that Trump won, only 7 or 8 were registered to vote. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the situation were similar this year.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:55 AM

45,671 posts, read 24,169,823 times
Not clear if that is going to end up being a reality (surge in younger voters) but it it is..
They see it impacting them this time.

Same sex issues, women's rights, BLM.....all those issues impact young voters.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:56 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,282,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
There were large protests, riots, and political violence in Portland right after the 2016 election. “The Oregonian” newspaper did a study on a group that got arrested. If I remember correctly, out of roughly 60-70 people that were arrested for rioting because they were so upset that Trump won, only 7 or 8 were registered to vote. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the situation were similar this year.
Yes, exactly.

The 62 people who didn't vote and are very upset at the outcome are going to make sure they vote this time.

It's not rocket science.

This trend follows EXACTLY that of other countries - after a long period of protests and riots with mostly the young, the following election participation jumped to record level.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:37 AM

3,285 posts, read 1,358,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yes, exactly.

The 62 people who didn't vote and are very upset at the outcome are going to make sure they vote this time.

It's not rocket science.

This trend follows EXACTLY that of other countries - after a long period of protests and riots with mostly the young, the following election participation jumped to record level.

Police reforms are desperately needed. No matter which party wins, I don’t see the movement for use of force reforms going away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies