Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 08:46 AM

4,191 posts, read 2,511,188 times

Advertisements

We have the leaders of the two major parties both declining. Trump shows all the signs of slipping into confabulation and dementia with anger. Biden of a mind slowing unwinding into soft silence. Hopefully someone will pick up the pieces from the extremes of the two parties for a middle road.

The American experience has been one of compromise; an art being lost.

"I confess that I do not entirely approve of this Constitution at present: but, Sir, I am not sure I shall never approve it; for having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change my opinion even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise . . . Thus I consent, Sir, to this Constitution, because I expect no better and because I am not sure that it is not the best..."

Benjamin Franklin Tuesday September 17, 1787
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 08:56 AM

754 posts, read 486,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
For what? The American people won't stand for a fake impeachment based on conspiracy theories. THey barely stood for the fake aquittal in the Senate, I don't think it would be a wise move for the GOP to up their dishonesty campaign now. If/when Trump is gone, we need to get back to being Americans, and quit with all the partisan crap.
I agree with you to a certain extent but the democrats are going to end the filibuster, stack the supreme court and add DC and Puerto Rico as states, all of which are fairly partisan and very divisive moves.

If both parties engage in partisanship and refusing to work with each other, come 2022 if they take back the house the GOP will likely push for an impeachment. If Biden tries to govern from the center then perhaps relations can improve but if he governs like Liz Warren then I don't see any change to the partisanship.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:01 AM

754 posts, read 486,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The idea that Republicans are going to back in power in two years is ridiculous.
Why? Everyone was saying the same thing in 2008 after Bush. Obama was also a much more inspiring and charismatic figure than Joe Biden is.

Like it or not but mid term performances strongly correlate with approval ratings, if Biden's job numbers are 45% or less he's likely suffer some big losses, as did Trump, Obama, Clinton and Bush all did when their approval ratings were sluggish.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:19 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Joe Biden gets impeached (could happen with the information on Hunter's laptop), or is removed otherwise, Harris would then be President.

What happens then, if Obamacare is killed by the Supreme Court? Will we then be faced with the prospect of "Harris Care".

Just say it three times real fast, and your dreams will come true. Harris Care, Harris Care, Harris Care.
Joe won't be removed, although he could step down for health reasons. What is more important though is who wins control of the Senate.

If Obamacare is struck down, millions will be thrown off of their health insurance. Americans will be screaming "what happened to my pre-existing condition coverage?" In that case, it will be essential to pass a new health insurance plan. If the Republicans hold the Senate, any plan of Biden or Harris would have to win over at least a few Republicans. Likewise, if Trump remains in office he will have to work with the House democrats to pass any sort of healthcare bill.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:24 AM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

If Obamacare is struck down, millions will be thrown off of their health insurance.

Not true. Read some of the horror stories from people who had Obama care forced on them. Obama care simply made health care "available" to a millions of people, but the premiums/deductibles are so high many never saw any benefit from it.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:41 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
The Dems have been on a rampage ever since Trump. The party has been shifting more and more to the left. The left crowd within the party is getting louder and louder. I've never seen anything like this politics wise since I can in the last 35 plus years. Politics is and always has been a nasty game, but it's at a level that is crazy now.

The right leaning crowd has talking points of what they are fearful of if the Dems get all three during this election cycle. I used to think what they were saying was just fear mongering or probably wouldn't happen but if they get total power they could add a couple more states with Dem senators, pack the supreme court and end the filibuster. I just think we'll turn into a one party system if that ever happens.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:42 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Not true. Read some of the horror stories from people who had Obama care forced on them. Obama care simply made health care "available" to a millions of people, but the premiums/deductibles are so high many never saw any benefit from it.
I guess nobody took my OP to heart and did the chant. It should sound more like Harris Scare, Harris Scare, Harris Scare!

I guess I'll have to keep my day job, which is retired and happily on Medicare. Good luck people!

Old 10-23-2020, 09:52 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Joe Biden gets impeached (could happen with the information on Hunter's laptop), or is removed otherwise, Harris would then be President.

What happens then, if Obamacare is killed by the Supreme Court? Will we then be faced with the prospect of "Harris Care".

Just say it three times real fast, and your dreams will come true. Harris Care, Harris Care, Harris Care.
And don't forget to click together three times your ruby slippers!

So, you believe it's better to let Trump go ahead and demolish the ACA with nothing to put in its place and in the middle of a pandemic, no less.

And the republicans have yet to offer us anything else by way of replacement. Vote Democrat or else you are voting to die.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:56 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Harris care could be very simple. Establish a voluntary single payer system like Medicare for those under 65. You can take it or leave it. Those not wanting it can either not have insurance or go the private sector. My guess is most would take it.
Except would the working-age people choosing Medicare pay premiums according to their income, so that lower-income people get it for nearly free while the middle-income seniors who put into the system for 40 years will have their premiums go up? Like Obamacare, but expanded? Sure, that seems fair. NOT.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:09 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Except would the working-age people choosing Medicare pay premiums according to their income, so that lower-income people get it for nearly free while the middle-income seniors who put into the system for 40 years will have their premiums go up? Like Obamacare, but expanded? Sure, that seems fair. NOT.
It would have to be a separate system that provides insurance for those under 65, while still requiring payroll deductions to keep funding Medicare, so they can switch once they turn 65. That is the only way it will be acceptable to seniors.

We have been doing it that way all our lives. Let those coming up do it the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies