Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 02:57 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
This is a discussion of an employer policy.

Why are you talking about the draft?

Stick to the topic.

The vaccine isn't 100% safe nor 100% effective and as such it should be voluntary. End of story.
Because it's a state law and that case was also about a state law mandating vaccines that established precedent... Personal liberty is not absolute in the US.

Though to be clear you weren't forcibly jabbed on objection, just had to pay a fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 03:58 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
A new law requires NJ health care workers to get a flu vaccine each year. It requires the employer to enforce it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.njs...r-beliefs/amp/

There is no religious exemption. The only medical exemption is anaphylaxis to the flu vaccine or component. All workers are required to get it, regardless of patient contact.

What do you think? Does this violate federal law? Does it violate religious freedom? Does it violate the ADA? Does the ends of possibly reducing flu justify the means?
Does this violate federal law?

No.

Does it violate religious freedom?

No. None of the major religions in the US outright ban vaccination.

https://www.vumc.org/health-wellness...s-and-religion

Does it violate the ADA?

No. "I don't wanna" is not a disability.

Does the ends of possibly reducing flu justify the means?

A health care worker who does not understand the need to reduce the chance s/he might infect a patient with flu should not be working in a health care setting. Few in such a setting will have absolutely no patient contact. In addition, sick employees cost the employer money and make it hard to maintain staffing. This year, someone who catches flu will have to be evaluated for COVID-19, putting additional strain on resources.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:59 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Supreme Court disagreed in Jacobson v. Massachusetts. If the state can draft you to fight a war, it can draft you to fight a virus too for the common defense.
It’s not really the same issue and the case id over 100 years old. The interesting thing here is that federal law says the employer needs to give you a religious exemption.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 10-23-2020, 04:04 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,916 times
NJ requiring health care workers to get flu shots - no religious exemption

Good.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:07 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Quote:
It’s not really the same issue and the case id over 100 years old. The interesting thing here is that federal law says the employer needs to give you a religious exemption.
What's age got to do with it? Throw out the Constitution too?

Old 10-23-2020, 04:13 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
What's age got to do with it? Throw out the Constitution too?
It was a very situational case and none of the current laws or constitutional rules were in place at the time. For example, it long before Roe, which established a privacy right in body autonomy. That's just one example. At the very least, it's probably time for the issue to be revisited.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 10-23-2020, 04:17 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
When I worked at the hospital, you had to get a flu shot or you could not work. They also had to get HepB and TB test. Not sure if there were religious exemptions though.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:45 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
But it’s not my place to tell another person what their religion forbids.
I totally agree.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:59 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,393 times
I disagree with forced vaccines, but I don't see this as a constitutional issue. It's basically get the flu shot or we fire you. Which I guess they can do, nothing in the constitution forbids that.

Now it would be different if the NJ government told all citizens they need to get a vaccine or cannot go outside without going to prison.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:04 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I disagree with forced vaccines, but I don't see this as a constitutional issue. It's basically get the flu shot or we fire you. Which I guess they can do, nothing in the constitution forbids that.

Now it would be different if the NJ government told all citizens they need to get a vaccine or cannot go outside without going to prison.
In a way it’s like saying, “if you don’t get a vaccine you can’t pay your bills”. I do think it could be construed as a denial of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies