Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 11:17 AM

18,096 posts, read 15,670,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
the general public is not trained in this and many are doing things that are downright disgusting. We even have polices that promote bad mask wearing practices such as taking them off at your table and then putting them back on After you eat at restaurants.
There are many useful articles available online about how to best care for a fabric mask, if people would bother to read. I realize reading is not a skill some have in this country. Many prefer to get their info from uninformed conspiratorists.

However, disinfecting a cloth mask is really easy to do. 5 minutes minimum soaking in a quart of hot water with 1 tsp of chlorine bleach added will disinfect the mask. Then washing the mask with some soap, thoroughly rinsing, and letting the mask dry is all it takes. Rotating to freshly washed and dry masks is easy peasy if you have 2 or 3 masks.

But, as we know, common sense isn't very common, and so many are oppositional, they'd rather marinate in abject misinformation and argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 11:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
There are many useful articles available online about how to best care for a fabric mask, if people would bother to read. I realize reading is not a skill some have in this country. Many prefer to get their info from uninformed conspiratorists.

However, disinfecting a cloth mask is really easy to do. 5 minutes minimum soaking in a quart of hot water with 1 tsp of chlorine bleach added will disinfect the mask. Then washing the mask with some soap, thoroughly rinsing, and letting the mask dry is all it takes. Rotating to freshly washed and dry masks is easy peasy if you have 2 or 3 masks.

But, as we know, common sense isn't very common, and so many are oppositional, they'd rather marinate in abject misinformation and argue.
I understand how to properly use masks. That said, I see improper use ALL THE TIME. When our Governor gives his covid update he takes his mask off and speaks and then puts it right back on then he takes it off again and then puts it back on again over and over. The reality is, once you take off your mask, you’re supposed to wash it. You’re not supposed to touch it at all, much less, repeatedly.

The restaurant rule is another example of sanctioned terrible mask wearing protocols. The CA Governor was even encouraging people to pull their mask off and then pull it back on between bites of food. Terrible advice.

You also have to realize too that a lot of people don’t wash their masks often or at all, much less every single time they take them off. Have you seen anyone yet eating or smoking with their mask pulled down to their chin? I have.

Not sure if you’ve ever worked with the general public but if you have, you might understand the problems with expecting massive groups of people to be able to to exercise common sense or even think about what they are doing.

Just because you get it does not mean that a lot of people get it which in turn puts them in a position where they could be increasing rather then decreasing their risk.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:09 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
The reality is, once you take off your mask, you’re supposed to wash it.

Not entirely - but mainly - the reason for the general uncommon-sense public to wear a masks is

a) ASSUME they are already infected, and
b) Limit their spread of THEIR OWN virus at least a little.

That's it. With this in mind - keeping it clean may slow down the "other" germy infections a filthy mask brings - but it mostly won't affect covid, because mask wearers are presumed to ALREADY BE INFECTED.

I can't believe this has taken 8 months and still people do not understand that simple point.

YES - it can work "both ways" - but not if you don't use it right. As a result - it MAINLY works JUST one way, and that is the intent.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
The reality is, once you take off your mask, you’re supposed to wash it.

Not entirely - but mainly - the reason for the general uncommon-sense public to wear a masks is

a) ASSUME they are already infected, and
b) Limit their spread of THEIR OWN virus at least a little.

That's it. With this in mind - keeping it clean may slow down the "other" germy infections a filthy mask brings - but it mostly won't affect covid, because mask wearers are presumed to ALREADY BE INFECTED.

I can't believe this has taken 8 months and still people do not understand that simple point.

YES - it can work "both ways" - but not if you don't use it right. As a result - it MAINLY works JUST one way, and that is the intent.
Let’s say you get some droplets on the outside of your mask from another infected person and then while taking your mask off you touch the droplet with your hand that you then use to eat a sandwich. Then you put the mask back on backwards (some don’t really have obvious sides and have the droplet right in front of you nose so that you can breathe it in better for the rest of the day.

Great!

You really are supposed to wash it as well as your hands when you take it off.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I understand how to properly use masks. That said, I see improper use ALL THE TIME. When our Governor gives his covid update he takes his mask off and speaks and then puts it right back on then he takes it off again and then puts it back on again over and over. The reality is, once you take off your mask, you’re supposed to wash it. You’re not supposed to touch it at all, much less, repeatedly.

The restaurant rule is another example of sanctioned terrible mask wearing protocols. The CA Governor was even encouraging people to pull their mask off and then pull it back on between bites of food. Terrible advice.

You also have to realize too that a lot of people don’t wash their masks often or at all, much less every single time they take them off. Have you seen anyone yet eating or smoking with their mask pulled down to their chin? I have.

Not sure if you’ve ever worked with the general public but if you have, you might understand the problems with expecting massive groups of people to be able to to exercise common sense or even think about what they are doing.

Just because you get it does not mean that a lot of people get it which in turn puts them in a position where they could be increasing rather then decreasing their risk.
I wasn't trying to school you on this, as you clearly do understand. I was jumping off your post to continue the discussion, and for others who don't get it.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:

You really are supposed to wash it as well as your hands when you take it off.
Agree. Washing masks every day and especially washing hands thoroughly and frequently is vital. Even if all one does is follow the common sense advice of moms and grandmas they'd be ahead. Because what mom or grandma ever says "don't wash your hands"?

Old 11-02-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I wasn't trying to school you on this, as you clearly do understand. I was jumping off your post to continue the discussion, and for others who don't get it.
Thanks.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:08 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
Let’s say you get some droplets on the outside of your mask

Let's not.

I TOTALLY Understand that possibility - and I am telling you - that is not the main reason you are being asked to wear a mask. If you are wearing your mask - it's because I'm assuming YOU are ALREADY contagious with COVID.

So - someone else's droplets on YOUR mask - will not matter to you - because YOU ARE ALREADY SICK.

Sheesh. This is hard.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Let's not.

I TOTALLY Understand that possibility - and I am telling you - that is not the main reason you are being asked to wear a mask. If you are wearing your mask - it's because I'm assuming YOU are ALREADY contagious with COVID.

So - someone else's droplets on YOUR mask - will not matter to you - because YOU ARE ALREADY SICK.

Sheesh. This is hard.
But most of us are not sick. We’re just pretending we are.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:51 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:

Let's not.

Sheesh. This is hard.
IF you assume that you -- as a mask wearer are deathly contagious -- why are you out in public? Isn't that putting others at risk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies