Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:31 AM

1,744 posts, read 877,932 times

Advertisements

https://news.yahoo.com/hidden-covid-...154512496.html

On of the least discussed problems with social isolation for the elderly. From the story:

"His death certificate listed the cause of death as the progression of Alzheimer’s disease and “social isolation / failure to thrive related to COVID-19 restrictions.”

Social isolation was listed as a contributing cause of death for at least nine other Minnesotans — almost all long-term care residents — from June to September, according to state death records; no deaths in the previous two years cited social isolation as a cause."

And interesting but sad read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 08:37 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Will to live is very important at that age. Isolating 80+ year olds, out of some obsessive impulse to keep them alive a few more years could very well be the thing that kills them sooner than this joke of a virus.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:41 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
I think we should start counting “deaths by Covid restrictions”.

...and blame them all on Democrats.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:51 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think we should start counting “deaths by Covid restrictions”.

...and blame them all on Democrats.
I think we should start counting them too, but not so we can blame leaders. We need to start counting them so we can better weigh the costs versus the benefits of policies and priorities from lockdowns to school closures. I know a woman whose daughter, the single mother of three, who had ulcerative colitis died of toxic megacolon because they told her they weren’t seeing people for routine medical care and it turned into an emergency instead - in a community that had a total of 3 Covid cases at the time.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:46 AM

50 posts, read 36,712 times
Very true Oldhag,an excellent reply from you....

Thank you!!

Old 10-28-2020, 10:49 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I think we should start counting them too, but not so we can blame leaders. We need to start counting them so we can better weigh the costs versus the benefits of policies and priorities from lockdowns to school closures. I know a woman whose daughter, the single mother of three, who had ulcerative colitis died of toxic megacolon because they told her they weren’t seeing people for routine medical care and it turned into an emergency instead - in a community that had a total of 3 Covid cases at the time.
Agreed. Sad to say but I expect these kinds of global pandemics to continue. For something like ebola, you obviously need to shut things down and hard and fast, without exception. But we need a matrix with which to work with as there can't be one solution for every problem.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:33 PM

8,209 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I know of at least three people within a month's time to die due to lack of medical care because of restrictions.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:59 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Agreed. Sad to say but I expect these kinds of global pandemics to continue. For something like ebola, you obviously need to shut things down and hard and fast, without exception. But we need a matrix with which to work with as there can't be one solution for every problem.
Ebola sufferers isolate themselves pretty well once they start symptoms. It’s lethality prevents it from being like this illness. COVID has a 14-day incubation period and is very contagious.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:29 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
It sounds like the staff didn't feed him. Family or volunteers are often in the dining room feeding family. Failure to thrive is common excuse. An aide comes to feed him and goes away if he doesn't accept the food on the first try. Because of the visitor restrictions, there is no one to watch the caregivers. Some would've happened anyways, especially given the age being 98.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:32 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
That is really sad.

There was a small protest at a nursing home in Colorado. The residents, some in wheelchairs held signs saying they’d rather die from covid then from loneliness.

I think we’re missing a lot by only focusing on covid and nothing else. Suicides, homicides, drug overdoses are all up as are deaths form heart attacks and strokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies