Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2020, 02:35 AM

29,600 posts, read 16,577,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Texas's Hispanic population isn't as uniformly Democrats as you hope. Trump in fact made large gains in majority Mexican counties in the Rio Grande Valley. While that region is culturally more Mexican than American, there is still a large slice of the Mexican community that is loyal to the United States and put American interests before Mexico's national interests (like NAFTA and illegal immigration) and aren't giving in to racial politics. Also remember that Hispanics are heavily Catholic and oppose abortion and gay marriage as this is what the Bible commands. In this way, Catholics are similar to Bible Belt Christians in the South. Most of the "Catholics" in places like Boston and Chicago don't actually go to church much and its more of a cultural rather than religious identification. True religious Catholics are very conservative.
1. The Bible never mentions gay marriage or abortion

2. The election night argument that Trump made large inroads with Hispanics is looking less and less likely the more data we get.

3. There are something like 18 counties that touch the Rio Grande. Only 7 of those had more then 10,000 votes cast.

Some had as little as 200 votes cast. When you say large gains, what you really mean is 50 votes here or 1,000 there.

Quote:
So the biggest change in Texas IS the movement of Californians and Yankees fleeing the high taxes and the high cost of living in Blue States. Liberal policies like California's high minimum wage, high taxes, that required special blend of gas in the spirit of "going green" is what makes these liberal states overpriced.

the people leaving California tend to be the most conservative ones. Texas is becoming bluer because of an age divide and demographics.

Old 11-19-2020, 04:54 AM

59,198 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
You’ll live. Concentrate on your own life and stop the incessant complaining.

My parents are legal immigrants as well. None of us depend on the system. We also aren’t angry at anyone who is also achieving the American Dream, regardless of political persuasion. We are far too busy doing the same.
" Concentrate on your own life and stop the incessant complaining."

Concentrate on YOUR own life and don't read or respond. YOUR problem is solved!

With the influx of northerners it DOES affect our lives.

And WE are the UNeducated!

Old 11-19-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
You have a one-track mind it seems and anyone who goes against it is .....getting little respect from you and should STAY WHERE THEY ARE. Well, tell Corporate America to lure them to these regions less too. Much of the movement to to the Sunbelt is because CORPORATE AMERICA is steering us there. Same as when Corporate America steered migrations to the Northern Legacy cities from the South. Why would they move for real winters they lacked in states they came from?

For Northerners mild winters are the plus and for some a reason to relocate too. Most of us HATE these rougher winters .... not that we want longer humid hot summers too. Still not frigid Arctic blast at their worst is a benefit.

The OP thinking all move south are going to automatically think, talk and walk as someone they are not??? Is a bit odd to me. Sure their are those fleeing higher taxed states for even political agenda reasons. Just not nearly all and the fact states can change to purple proves that. We do not change our true colors just cause we change our location like some sort of chamillian.

The OP sounds like that South Carolina Congressman Lindsey Graham who said --- if you are liberal? Stay put and don't move to a Conservative area of our State. Also it inferres if LIBERAL SEEKING TO MOVE SOUTHWARD LIKE HIS STATE ..... FORGHETABOUTIT. If he had a real say Constitutionally. There would be a anti-Liberal wall around his state.

I think Sen Graham realizes what the OP does not also ..... Liberals moving from elsewhere? Do not change much or enough their less-Christian ways perhaps? Along with their liberal Social stands and pervert his regions Political views and agenda.
"is because CORPORATE AMERICA is steering us there", never heard that before. Explain. I moved South when I retired and corporate America had NOTHING to do with it.

"You have a one-track mind". YOU are the one with the 1 TRACK MIND. All one has to do is look at the changing voting patterns in areas where dems have moved to to get AWAY from all the HIGH taxes and laws they can NOT afford in retirement.

They move south, complain about the gov't they left then want to CHANGE where they live NOW to be just like where they left.

I have seen it for almost 14 years.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:08 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,072,706 times
Cause and Effect. Some get it, some do not.

Examples of Cause and Effect

We received seven inches of rain in four hours. - The underpass was flooded.
I never brush my teeth. - I have 5 cavities.
Smoking cigarettes - Lung cancer
Many buffalo were killed. - Buffalo almost became extinct.
The streets were snow-packed and icy. - Cars needed more time to stop.
He broke his arm. - The doctor put it in a cast.
My taxes are sky high. - Services are poor, bureaucrats are unresponsive, crime is high, my state/local government is financially on life support.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Don't know why exactly but I sure do wish the New Yorkers would stop ruining the Carolinas by moving here and continuing to vote Democrat.

Are they seriously too stupid to understand they causing the same problem in the area they moved to by continuing to vote Democrat.

Please stay in your blue hellhole instead of trying to turn my backyard into another one
"]Don't know why exactly but I sure do wish the New Yorkers would stop ruining the Carolinas by moving here and continuing to vote Democrat. BINGO!

We fight these people every month at our HOA meetings.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:02 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,794,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Will you Red State Conservatives knock off the crap? Folks are tired of hearing it.

This is the United States. States don’t pick their residents in this country. Every state, city, hamlet and village belongs to EVERY American regardless of their political philosophy. There isn’t a single state constitution in the United States that mandates political parties for their residents to live there.

Your vote is your business. No one else’s vote is any of your concern. Just because your state is traditionally liberal or conservative, does NOT obligate newcomers to vote the way of the status quo. How many times does this have to be explained to you?

And you Southerners like the OP, get off your damn high horses. Without Yankee money, your states would be the backwaters they were more than 65 years ago. And even WITH Yankee money, some of your states aren’t much better than the dumps they were before the time that I mentioned. That’s how backwards most of the South was (and parts of it still are).

Give it a rest.

Very well constructed and valid.

Several states,cities, and municipalities of the south would suffer severally without the so-called northerners, liberal corporate entities and brain power coupled with military installations.

As we remove either we'll find the south situated with Sweet Tea, fried oreos, descent weather, grossly outdated ideologies, and the facade of "southern Hospitality" (which is a joke, how hospitable can one truly be with bigoted idealism or outdated vision between their ears).

Admittedly I've witnessed amazing carpentry,masonry, gamesmanship, and charming women. Challenging to undervalue some southern Belles.

Vote what your heart's desire. I wouldn't tolerate a city/town of fools attempting to coerce my vote from Conservatives to liberal.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:19 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,794,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It's not just the South Tom. People from Massachusetts are infecting Southern New Hampshire and Southern Maine. I was in Southern Maine last weekend driving through the beautiful seacoast areas. There were more Black Lives Matter signs there than I see here in the city. Typical liberals, they move as far as possible from black people and then virtue signal their love for them with yard signs.
Somethings we can't live without in life. I believe they're first and true chosen people of the globe and that doesnt bother me a bit. Without the intestinal fortitude of the blacks our mother's and daughters may be confined to airline Stewart, homemakers or worse. Our daughters and Mother's benefited immensely from the equal rights movement and Affirmative Action.

You know who didn't provide them with this common right? Our European American ancestors. We've placed pigeonhole.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:05 AM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Texas's Hispanic population isn't as uniformly Democrats as you hope. Trump in fact made large gains in majority Mexican counties in the Rio Grande Valley. While that region is culturally more Mexican than American, there is still a large slice of the Mexican community that is loyal to the United States and put American interests before Mexico's national interests (like NAFTA and illegal immigration) and aren't giving in to racial politics. Also remember that Hispanics are heavily Catholic and oppose abortion and gay marriage as this is what the Bible commands. In this way, Catholics are similar to Bible Belt Christians in the South. Most of the "Catholics" in places like Boston and Chicago don't actually go to church much and its more of a cultural rather than religious identification. True religious Catholics are very conservative.

So the biggest change in Texas IS the movement of Californians and Yankees fleeing the high taxes and the high cost of living in Blue States. Liberal policies like California's high minimum wage, high taxes, that required special blend of gas in the spirit of "going green" is what makes these liberal states overpriced.
I never said uniformly Democrat. You do realize I'm talking in relative terms here. Texas Hispanics might be slightly more conservative than Hispanics in neighboring states. However, Hispanics in Texas are far more likely to vote Democrat than Whites are. Both populations are similar in size. However, Whites make up a larger portion of the voting base.

Believe me, I know all about Boston, Chicago, New York etc. And even there it varies by ethnic group. I'll leave that for a separate discussion.

I know about Texas and how it works with its Mexican-American population. At the same time, you can't discount that a low voter turnout plays a factor with Texas politics.

And I know Hispanics are heavily Catholic. I am Catholic myself. Whenever I've gone to church, I've seen more Hispanic parishioners than Black parishioners. I've met many Hispanics for myself, of varying ethnicities living in the Atlanta area. The most conservative Hispanics I've met were often from South America, namely Colombia and Venezuela. Among those who were the most likely to support Democrats have been Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. And I'm talking about Mexican and Puerto Rican Catholics. I have met a few Mexican-Americans who are Republicans (American-born, American-raised raised, assimilated southerners). I've certainly met more Hispanics than were Republicans than Blacks.

Californians moving to Texas might be a big change, but the increasing Hispanic population is also playing a role. This isn't the 1980s when Hispanic voters were more likely to vote Republican. This isn't the era of Reagan, Bush, and Bush II. While Hispanics in Texas have a higher rate of supporting Republicans relative to California or Colorado, you also have to consider that Hispanics are 25% of the voting base, in spite of being 40% of the total Texan population. Low voter turnout is part of what is keeping Texas red.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:37 AM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Don't know why exactly but I sure do wish the New Yorkers would stop ruining the Carolinas by moving here and continuing to vote Democrat.

Are they seriously too stupid to understand they causing the same problem in the area they moved to by continuing to vote Democrat.

Please stay in your blue hellhole instead of trying to turn my backyard into another one
Well, you can't stop anyone from moving where they please. And many of those persons move to areas that were already leaning liberal.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:41 AM

558 posts, read 338,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The latest wave of out-of staters which began 7 or 8 years ago
I moved from New Jersey to Denver 8 years ago. Checking into the apartment complex, Woman said I see you are from NJ. We’ve had 5 others from there just today. Didn’t see that many CA plates, Mostly from the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies