Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 06:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,029,124 times

Advertisements

Looking at WorldOmeters, deaths are beginning to trend up with cases again, although at a lower rate than when COVID deaths were at their worst in the US, around mid-April.

If you look at this link, you can see cases are more than ever before. And you can follow that deaths are trending upwards - we've now had 3 straight deaths of more than 1K per day, which we haven't seen in awhile. But so far, deaths are not proportional to new cases.

Prayers we've learned more about treating this disease and we can soldier on through it. Also, prayers that the vaccine will be marketable soon.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 07:19 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,609,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
I thought if Biden won we were going to go into full national lockdown?
That depends ...

Executive Power

"The President:

is the Commander in Chief of the armed forces. He or she has the power to call into service the state units of the National Guard, and in times of emergency may be given the power by Congress to manage national security or the economy.
<snip>
"Executive Orders: In times of emergency, the President can override Congress and issue executive orders with almost limitless power."

... on if the States remain in power of the decisions in taking care of their own citizens respectfully, or will the potus pull the rug out from under them.

Federal Executive Emergency Authorities to Address COVID-19

April 2 2020

"To date, Trump has exercised some, but certainly not all, of his potential statutory emergency authority under the National Emergencies Act, the Stafford Act, and the Public Health Service Act. What other powers remain untapped? Below, we review the four statutes that form the backbone of the executive’s emergency powers during a health crisis."

Old 11-05-2020, 07:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 503,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you're 1/10tth as smart as you think you are. That's the ratio of good started topics to totaal started topics you have.
Where did that attack come from? If you don't like my topics be adult and just move on. No need to attack. Sheesh!

Old 11-05-2020, 09:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,938,759 times
102k new cases on Nov. 4th disagrees with the OP's premise. The media is only not talking about it because of the close election. That said the 102k cases IS news but a bit of a buried lead. Once Trump loses, we will see Covid continue in the news.

Old 11-05-2020, 09:26 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,103,515 times
Weird, it’s still front page on Washington Post and NY Times.

Trump lied again, and his supporters ate it up without question, color me surprised.

Last edited by subaru5555; 11-05-2020 at 09:35 PM..

Old 11-06-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
102k new cases on Nov. 4th disagrees with the OP's premise. The media is only not talking about it because of the close election. That said the 102k cases IS news but a bit of a buried lead. Once Trump loses, we will see Covid continue in the news.
You are not understanding what I posted. I am not saying they won't cover it. I am saying they will change the way they cover it. This entire year has been about the amount of cases without an ounce of context or detailed data. It was OMG cases are going up and the sky is falling. NOW they are switching to include the details. NOW they are talking about how low the death rate is. NOW they are talking about the fact the spread is among young people who do very well with the virus. NOW they are talking about the great therapies we have. That's the difference I am talking about.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:42 AM

610 posts, read 264,715 times
I am already seeing the change in Governor Whitmer based on her press conference yesterday. While she expressed concern over the rising numbers, there was no mention/threats of shutdowns or other extreme measures and she was overall much more calm and rational. The message was basically continue to wear a mask and distance, but otherwise we are just going to chug along until a vaccine. Even a few weeks ago her response would have been much different. The MDHSS also revised their restaurant contact information policy and made it optional instead of a requirement.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:42 AM

5,185 posts, read 3,113,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnsota View Post
You are not understanding what I posted. I am not saying they won't cover it. I am saying they will change the way they cover it. This entire year has been about the amount of cases without an ounce of context or detailed data. It was OMG cases are going up and the sky is falling. NOW they are switching to include the details. NOW they are talking about how low the death rate is. NOW they are talking about the fact the spread is among young people who do very well with the virus. NOW they are talking about the great therapies we have. That's the difference I am talking about.
Yes, the pandemic and associated “bad” numbers will be put on the shelf by the Media. Nothing to see here folks, lets move along now...

Old 11-06-2020, 07:49 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,966,033 times
Quote:
With the election ending tonight, the media will be done with their extreme coverage of Covid in a nothing but panic and fear mode. That in itself will help the country. When we stop trying to make people afraid to get up in the morning, better things happen. I am so looking forward to the change in the media's coverage tactics.
And you can say this while the contagion is now spreading like wildfire and the death count is rising again. In many states including here in NM soon there are hospital emergencies and will be not enough beds and ICU for sick people. Seems like you think this only a political ploy. But it is real and serious.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
And you can say this while the contagion is now spreading like wildfire and the death count is rising again. In many states including here in NM soon there are hospital emergencies and will be not enough beds and ICU for sick people. Seems like you think this only a political ploy. But it is real and serious.
Please pay attention to what I posted. I never said they will stop covering it. I said they will change the context in which the cover it.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies