Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 10:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,895,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
The only viable vaccine thus far was developed by Germany and Pfizer. The companies that took billions from the US government don't have a vaccine yet.
But the US had a $2 billion agreement to buy any vaccine from Pfizer and funded research that helped development of a vaccine.

https://qz.com/1930404/what-we-dont-...rp-speed-deal/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 10:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,794,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Merriam-Webster says equitable means:

But it no longer means being fair to individual people, but rather ensuring that identity groups have equal outcomes. So far a higher percentage of "underrepresented minorities" than white people have died of Covid-19 in America, so it's necessary to even that out by prioritizing vaccine distribution according to race and ethnicity. If white people then start dying of the virus disproportionately, bringing the overall group death rates closer together, that will be the desired "equitable" outcome.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/09/...ld-it-be-done/
The goal of any vaccine program is to minimize the number of deaths under the constraint of limited availability. That is why the National Academies of Sciences plans to provide the vaccine to elderly and the immunocompromised first. It is perfectly reasonable to consider the fact the minority groups with high death rates in remote parts of the country, such as Native communities, may need extra attention.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:14 PM

20,790 posts, read 8,621,796 times
A lot of people including me are not interested in taking a vaccine. But having one available means we don't need lockdowns and people can go back to work. We've had several therapeutics for a while if you do get sick. Even then you have a less than one percent chance of dying from Covid alone. Remember that a case just means a positive test and there are false positives and some people take multiple tests so the numbers are deceptive.

Relax and chill. Fight the fear and media hysteria. Of course I realize many of you like drama.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:15 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,826,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But the US had a $2 billion agreement to buy any vaccine from Pfizer and funded research that helped development of a vaccine.

As you article shows, Pfizer only had a purchase agreement of $1.95 billion that was to be paid only if a vaccine was developed. Pfizer did not take any money from the US for the research and development of the vaccine. They only took money from Berlin.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:19 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,709,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post

Nope, in this case, there was no research funding from US. You probably meant Germany.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,519,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
A lot of people including me are not interested in taking a vaccine. But having one available means we don't need lockdowns and people can go back to work. We've had several therapeutics for a while if you do get sick. Even then you have a less than one percent chance of dying from Covid alone. Remember that a case just means a positive test and there are false positives and some people take multiple tests so the numbers are deceptive.

Relax and chill. Fight the fear and media hysteria. Of course I realize many of you like drama.
Thank You!
I am not interested in this vaccine. Unless Im forced to take it through work I don't want it. I let everybody else experiment with it first and avoid a lock down. Im a healthcare worker and most of my coworkers feel the same way.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:24 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,777,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Elderly will be at the front of the line. The OP selectively quotes the article in order to push a fake narrative.

Read the actual plan from the National Academies of Sciences here.

https://www.nationalacademies.org/ne...al-authorities
I read it before making this thread and understand that there is a rational plan to prioritize different categories of people by various criteria including age. But as the article I posted discusses, there is also a push to superimpose race over all those categories.

Quote:
“If you’re healthy, just the fact you’re African American doesn’t mean that you ought to get to the front of the line,” Benjamin said. “If you’re African American, and you’re a bus driver, and you have chronic diseases. Absolutely.”
So, bus drivers toward the front of the line since they come into contact with many people. But black bus drivers ahead of white bus drivers.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:26 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,826,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I read it before making this thread and understand that there is a rational plan to prioritize different categories of people by various criteria including age. But as the article I posted discusses, there is also a push to superimpose race over all those categories.

So, bus drivers toward the front of the line since they come into contact with many people. But black bus drivers ahead of white bus drivers.
That would only make sense if African Americans are more at risk with the virus like the elderly are.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Interesting ....this should go over well.
White People, Elderly and Front Line workers go to the back of the line based on Race and Ethnicity.

I guess is an example of the Soul of America. Well Done Leftists.
White elderly and front line workers behind POC elderly and front line workers, then white average Joes behind POC average Joes. That's the plan.

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 11-11-2020 at 10:50 PM..

Old 11-11-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
That would only make sense if African Americans are more at risk with the virus like the elderly are.
Middle aged African American bus drivers with chronic disease are more at risk than middle aged white bus drivers with chronic disease because of systemic racism. Still doesn't make sense? Well that means you're probably a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies