Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2020, 11:52 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I question the fools who made the loans. Are they looking to be paid off by the government?
The government has powers that the banks do not. They are not looking for the government to pay the loans. They are looking for the government to use their powers to force the borrowers to pay back the money they borrowed, like with wage garnishment and bankruptcy exclusions.

They would not have made the loans if not for the government guarantee. Again, these are banks making 5 and 6 figure loans to people with no salary, no credit history, and no assets. So this is the only way that student loans can work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 11:52 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderwomanNot View Post
I paid for my own education 30 something years ago. I also paid for my three kids' educations. I worked two jobs, as did my husband.

I don't feel good about forgiving student loan debts, which I think Biden will enact during his first 100 days.
I paid by debt and my dues. No one forced these students who took out so much in loans to go to college....it was a choice they made. A CHOICE.

Let's keep the bashing to a minimum. Just want to see a show of hands about who opposes this or who is for this. Let's remember that the MONEY will come out of your INCREASED TAXES....and the taxes on your kids and grandchildren's salaries....
I am opposed to student loan forgiveness. Irresponsible adults should not expect their debts to be paid off by the taxpayer. Our money is not Biden's or Congress' to secure their voter base.

That said. My daughter is two years into her business degree with about 10k owned. She was about to pay half that off with the money she earned and saved from working full-time. I advised her to hold off on that payment.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:54 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The government has powers that the banks do not. They are not looking for the government to pay the loans. They are looking for the government to use their powers to force the borrowers to pay back the money they borrowed, like with wage garnishment and bankruptcy exclusions.

They would not have made the loans if not for the government guarantee. Again, these are banks making 5 and 6 figure loans to people with no salary, no credit history, and no assets. So this is the only way that student loans can work.
The scheme should have never been put in place in the beginning.

If it does happen the banks will get a few built-in perks/kickbacks down the road. We'll all just move on to a new scheme.

That's how "this thing of ours" works.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:57 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The scheme should have never been put in place in the beginning.

If it does happen the banks will get a few built-in perks/kickbacks down the road. We'll all just move on to a new scheme.

That's how "this thing of ours" works.
Maybe it shouldn't have been. I'm not arguing that. I am simply explaining what makes student loans different from other types of loans.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:58 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Allow for normal bankruptcy rules to apply for student loans.

While I do like the idea of forgiving student loan debt, I can't help but wonder if there's any type of moral hazard.

At least with bankruptcy, there is at least some ramifications. Although I would like to see the ramifications of student loan debt bankruptcy be less severe than other forms of bankruptcy.
IMO, that ship has long sailed. The average amount of credit card debt per household in the US is over $9,000. Most people are living on borrowed money.

It's weird to me that as a society we are so accepting of divorce, out of wedlock births, abortions, drugs, and so forth, but we make it a moral issue if someone doesn't pay back every single penny of money borrowed at age 18.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:03 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

Thanks for the tutorial.

Government guaranteed. Well that was just stupid. They never learn.

Do not re elect anybody, ever.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
they are on income-based repayment, and didn't use the loan money to get a degree with jobs that pay enough.
I know people on public service loan forgiveness who structure things to literally pay as little as possible. They max out their pre-tax retirement plans and have a higher balance 8 years in than they had when they started the program. I started law school the year before that program came out, so most of my classmates took private loans (and are still paying them).

When the feds took over the loans, tuition rates also skyrocketed. I finished law school 11 years ago, and tuition is about twice as much. What has changed for that level of inflation?

I am not opposed to some loan repayment, but I think it needs to be limited to an amount that is fairly reasonable.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:09 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Forgive STEM and doctors loans by doubling tuition for idiots who did chose useless junk majors, and increase lawyers tuition like tenfold.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
We can just flush the integrity down the toilet. Who needs it nowadays?

Old 11-19-2020, 12:10 PM

6,667 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Thanks for the tutorial.

Government guaranteed. Well that was just stupid. They never learn.

Do not re elect anybody, ever.
Just take this whole thread and replace the word Government with Your Taxpayer Money.

It's a good thing, these loans, many need it to get ahead. But at some point it just got abused, by colleges jacking prices when they realized they can charge 'government' whatever they wanted too, and by Students who feel like they don't have to honor their financial agreements, to politicians who use this as a carrot to get votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies