Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,725 times

Advertisements

About the only thing he's cut since taking office is the F22 program and NASA. With diving approval numbers and a 33% approval of the Afghanistan War, it seems like pulling out would be a win-win situation. Any thoughts on why Obama is staying the course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,362 times
WMD's---Wealth of Mineral Deposits

Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
dont forget that obama claimed, during the campaign, that afghanistan was the right war, so i doubt that we will be pulling out anytime soon.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,617 times
Because he shouldn't. This is a war we should be in. I don't care if it takes 20 years. The war in Iraq was completely unnecessary.

I am one of the few liberals who supports Obama on Afghanistan. I also happen to think we should invade the tribal regions of Pakistan.

If we REALLY want to kill terrorists, this is what is takes. Do you think Israel would pull out?

I say this as a veteran and the spouse of a someone still serving who will likely be deployed to that region if the assault continues.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,903,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Because he shouldn't. This is a war we should be in. I don't care if it takes 20 years. The war in Iraq was completely unnecessary.

I am one of the few liberals who supports Obama on Afghanistan. I also happen to think we should invade the tribal regions of Pakistan.

If we REALLY want to kill terrorists, this is what is takes. Do you think Israel would pull out?

I say this as a veteran and the spouse of a someone still serving who will likely be deployed to that region if the assault continues.
We create more terrorists than we kill. And Israel would certainly pull out if the money dried UP.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:47 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
We create more terrorists than we kill. And Israel would certainly pull out if the money dried UP.
Your post kind of answered its own question. We would not have the problem we have in the Middle East if it were not for out unwavering support for Israel. Well, that coupled with our oil addiction.

That said, Israel doesn't have to worry about the money drying up because there are a ton of pro-Israel (I won't say "Jew" because that sounds bad) lawmakers in both parties. If I had my way, we would pull all of our resources out of the region and tell Israel they are on their own. Why do you think the politicians in Washington do not do that?

As for the terrorist thing, the horse has already left the barn. Our policies for the past 50 years have created the terrorists. All we can do is kill as many of them as we can. We need to take the gloves off and take them out. They will certainly take us out any chance they get. Do you really think that if we pull all of our troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq, we will never see another terrorist attack? Please. I wish it were that simple. The extremists are coming for us no matter what. Yeah, we might create some terrorists who have VERY LIMITED resources and we MIGHT get hit again. So what? That is part of warfare. I took an oath to defend this country and I have no problem giving my life in its defense. Our enemies sure don't mind giving their lives to take yours.

Judging by my post, you might think I'm a Karl Rove, John ********-type. I actually voted for Clinton, Gore (although I campaigned for Bradley in the primary), Kerry, and Obama for President. I just have no tolerance for terrorists. I do not agree with the way the W.O.T. has been waged, but I support our actions in Afghanistan. If I had my way, we would have 100,000 more troops there right now. I think we owe it to those who died on 9/11 and those who have died fighting since then.

Last edited by Knox Harrington; 07-27-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 10:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Who knows...he doesn't!

Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
I'm sure the peace prize man will order the withdrawal any day now.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:26 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
dont forget that obama claimed, during the campaign, that afghanistan was the right war, so i doubt that we will be pulling out anytime soon.
The time table is set for Jully 2011.

Around that time we will gather here again and argue about why he is withdrawing, or not.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
I have a *feeling* that he knows more than you do. If pulling out was really "win-win", i'm sure it would be happening.

disclaimer: i am no a obama supporter .... i just think that there is more to meets the eye when talking about war. the general public doesn't know everything (as it should be).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies