Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 08:30 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Reading that article it sounds like malls have been given a pass, I feel sorry for the restaurant owners but I don't imagine many were going out to eat to begin with. What are the options when the infection rate increases, this virus is really surging nationwide and we can expect it to get worse when the Thanksgiving gatherings add to the problem.
I think that it’s worth letting restaurants stay open since many people won’t go anyway. It sort of takes care of the issue of too many people there ate once on it’s own without any Government interference. I would support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 08:32 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times
Kinda heartless response to business owners - no small business is prepared for what's happening now.

Having said that - the author is factually correct, but her instincts are wrong. The restaurant-rate (4%) varies - around the nation - some higher, some lower - but what she failed to mention was that - whatever the rate - it's less for folks not going to restaurants. Read the CDC report - it's dated now, more data is available, but it proved that some concern appropriate.

Here's what they did (roughly, I'm paraphrasing, sorry) - they found about 100 people who tested positive, and asked them where they've been for the last two weeks. They also had 100 people who tested negative - and asked THEM where they've been for two weeks.
Both groups had some folks that did lots of things - hair cuts, rode the bus, went to work, went to the gym. Surprisingly, the numbers in both groups were about the same. Except for one thing: Restaurants.
For that - it was more of a 60/40 split. Statistically huge.

If we're going to close ANYTHING - data says - restaurants and bars. Nothing else is even in the conversation.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:43 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think that it’s worth letting restaurants stay open since many people won’t go anyway. It sort of takes care of the issue of too many people there ate once on it’s own without any Government interference. I would support them.
Exactly. I feel the same.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Kinda heartless response to business owners - no small business is prepared for what's happening now.

Having said that - the author is factually correct, but her instincts are wrong. The restaurant-rate (4%) varies - around the nation - some higher, some lower - but what she failed to mention was that - whatever the rate - it's less for folks not going to restaurants. Read the CDC report - it's dated now, more data is available, but it proved that some concern appropriate.

Here's what they did (roughly, I'm paraphrasing, sorry) - they found about 100 people who tested positive, and asked them where they've been for the last two weeks. They also had 100 people who tested negative - and asked THEM where they've been for two weeks.
Both groups had some folks that did lots of things - hair cuts, rode the bus, went to work, went to the gym. Surprisingly, the numbers in both groups were about the same. Except for one thing: Restaurants.
For that - it was more of a 60/40 split. Statistically huge.

If we're going to close ANYTHING - data says - restaurants and bars. Nothing else is even in the conversation.
I do think the "bar counter" areas should be closed down. After a few drinks, people aren't caring about social distancing when they are bellied up to a bar. Space the high top tables accordingly and let it go.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:11 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think that is largely geographically dependant. When I return home to Georgia to visit my parents, the restaurants are mostly empty, with several having closed permanently. It's not due to recent forced closures, but more so that the area was economically suppressed for so long prior to COVID, lockdowns nudged it off the economic cliff. Additionally, both violent and non-violent crime has surged to the point the city is breaking established records.

Back here in the Florida Panhandle, the restaurants seem to be doing well. Most are self-enforcing lower occupancy and requesting masks and have been that way for several months. To my knowledge, there has not been a surge of COVID cases due to restaurant openings and the loosening of restrictions here.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:28 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I do think the "bar counter" areas should be closed down. After a few drinks, people aren't caring about social distancing when they are bellied up to a bar. Space the high top tables accordingly and let it go.
I hope not. The bar counter is our favorite area to sit whether we have drinks or not. I don't think we have sat at a table this year.

Restaurants (especially the chains) are enforcing social distancing at the bar counter by limiting 2-3 stools, spaced at least six-feet from another group of 2-3 stools. However, I am sure there are exceptions to this. The one time an overly chatty diner/drinker violated the six-foot rule he was promptly corrected by other diners and the manager.

Let the restaurants determine occupancy and diners assess their own health risks.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I hope not. The bar counter is our favorite area to sit whether we have drinks or not. I don't think we have sat at a table this year.

Restaurants (especially the chains) are enforcing social distancing at the bar counter by limiting 2-3 stools, spaced at least six-feet from another group of 2-3 stools. However, I am sure there are exceptions to this. The one time an overly chatty diner/drinker violated the six-foot rule he was promptly corrected by other diners and the manager.

Let the restaurants determine occupancy and diners assess their own health risks.
Fair enough.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:56 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
The author of the editorial is clearly denying the science and wants to fill her own pockets by irresponsibly opening. What is wrong with a pause? The Governor clearly knows how to mitigate a global pandemic. Businesses can afford to pause for as long as it takes, sorry they won't be able to charter a yacht this year. Greedy business owners.
BS, you obviously never ran a business, maybe a I’ve corporate, but this pandemic is hurting smaller businesses big time, unless you have money coming in you can’t pay you bills, inventory, taxes or most importantly your employees. Your post is totally wrong and uninformed.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:58 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnsota View Post
President Weak Foot wants to and will shut us down again.
Biden isn’t President yet.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:14 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Reading that article it sounds like malls have been given a pass, I feel sorry for the restaurant owners but I don't imagine many were going out to eat to begin with. What are the options when the infection rate increases, this virus is really surging nationwide and we can expect it to get worse when the Thanksgiving gatherings add to the problem.

The 4% number traced back to restaurants was from restaurant owners also depends on accuracy of tracing.
I don't know abut Long Island but restaurants here have been packed (as much as the limitations allow) since things opened up.

You have to take into account that there are people whose existence revolves around "dining". My own, admitedly anecdotal, experience here is that from the beginning that, other than school online and the kids being home, was the most bitching and complaining about the strictures imposed was not being able to go out to eat. That cut across all age groups and income levels. It beat out being laid off or working from home by large margins and was closely followed by not being able to go to a bar. I'm also counting in the "out to eat" category those seniors (yes my age group) who complained about the Senior Center being closed down and not serving lunch. Never went there, either.

Now, that didn't impact us because we have never been restaurant types anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies