Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 02:07 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why?

Because if you're not willing to use your opponents weapons and tactics against them.....

They win.

And that's exactly what they're counting on.
You aren't using their "tactics against them." Californians probably don't want companies and people moving out of state (well, most Californians anyway), so if you imposed something to discourage them from moving to Texas, that would be just fine with them. If they really wanted to move out of their state, they'd just choose a different state than Texas.

You think you'd be punishing Californians by enacting such a measure, but really, you aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 02:08 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
And I can explain these in a way that doesn't show the trend you see:

2000 and 2004: Republican candidate was a Texan

2008: Obama on the ballot, brought out record numbers of black and minority voters.
2012: Obama again on the ballot against a weak Republican candidate but actually lost ground.
2016: I'm surprised Clinton did as well as she did, chalk that up to many traditional Country Club Republicans being skeptical of Trump and some of them voted for her. Libertarian candidate (a former Republican) also pulled 3%.

2020: Trump is a polarizing candidate, and those that hate him REALLY hate him. Democrats were +3% but Libertarian candidates were -2%. I think you can reasonably assume those are the Never Trump Republicans and they went for Biden. Would they stay Democrats if say Mike Pence or Tom Cotton were on the ticket? I don't know if you can assume that at all.
Perhaps. Time will tell.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:20 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
So ... the solution to this "problem" is to forbid people from moving from state to state? Gee, I wonder how that would work out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Oh, and I have to say, those of you on the first page with the "get used to it" and "you can't stop us" comments - you do realize that you personally are PRECISELY what's wrong with society, right?
Au contraire. What's wrong with society is that some people cannot tolerate others who think and/or act differently from them. You know - like some Texans not wanting people from California to move to Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
This is an amazing idea. And completely within the bounds of the constitution.
I don't think so.

Quote:
the sales tax opportunity zone concept is very much real, and is already in practice

why can't the same principle apply to income tax of colonists?
The sales tax Opportunity Zone concept is based on geography - where the transaction takes place affects the tax rate. That's no different from when I, a resident of Montgomery County, Pa. (6% sales tax), purchasing an item in Philadelphia County (8% sales tax) - I'm going to pay the sales tax of the location in which I make the purchase.

If Californians move to Texas, they will pay taxes based on their residence at the time.

Quote:
Wasn't it just Cuomo and NY (I think) that was trying to get residents who moved to other states to continue paying NY taxes for a certain amount of time afterwards? .
New York is trying to crack down on snowbirds who claim living in Florida year-round, when they do not.

Completely different idea.

Quote:
It just means we appreciate the concept of State's rights and happen to like our states the way they are.
Um ... That's not what state's rights means, and if a Californian moves to Texas, establishes residency, and pays taxes to Texas and Texas municipalities, they are playing on their own dime.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:53 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
The RIO GRANDE VALLEY... and Latinos kept TX red this round.

They are becoming larger in population. I have faith our brothers will help us keep TX red for much longer than 12 years.

2008 was a massive recession/post Bush's power in 2004.
Backlash to a Democrat president was 2012
2016/2018 was backlash to Trump's personality

We really dont know what reality is as of yet on the ground. No generic D vs generic R fight.

2022 should give us a clearer idea when greg abbott rights off a generic D.

One thing is for sure... California Colonization is a major issue. These people are so broken, and full of rage. They are the reason TX gets bluer. Its not policy based as at all.

As long as the latinos reproduce faster than the California Colonizers they can help protect the state.
I think you have it *** backwards. The growing Latino population is turning states blue not red.
Why do you think the Democrats keep pandering to them?

Old 12-02-2020, 03:00 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,786,747 times
I saw a Californian drinking a pina colada at Trader Rick’s.
His hair was perfect.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:10 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Just a quick question: How many Texans' ancestors have lived in Texas since the dawn of time? Hasn't everyone moved from somewhere?

And another: How many Texans moved to California during the Dust Bowl? Perhaps their progeny are returning to the ancestral homeland.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:12 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
With HP moving to TX... thats thousands of new California voters coming along for the ride.

They have colonized NV, NM, CO, and now AZ. Their new mission targets are TX&IDAHO

What can be done from a policy/political perspective to stop this colonization? Stopping jobs isnt a realistic solution. Anything else?

The same question for their east coast colonist cousins from NY who are hard at work in VA/NC and now GA?
So then, you want states to erect barriers to entry for legal Americans demanding the partisan affiliation of people who want to move there as a discriminating factor?

Old 12-02-2020, 03:18 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
With HP moving to TX... thats thousands of new California voters coming along for the ride.

They have colonized NV, NM, CO, and now AZ. Their new mission targets are TX&IDAHO

What can be done from a policy/political perspective to stop this colonization? Stopping jobs isnt a realistic solution. Anything else?

The same question for their east coast colonist cousins from NY who are hard at work in VA/NC and now GA?
That's easy you get enough signatures to convince your Governor that you don't want the jobs, tax income and overall economic boost to your states economy. I'm sure he'll see your point of view, of course evolution is a continuing process and you and the rest that fear change will have to suck it up or find a new cave to habitate...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 12-02-2020 at 03:27 PM..

Old 12-02-2020, 03:27 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Just a quick question: How many Texans' ancestors have lived in Texas since the dawn of time? Hasn't everyone moved from somewhere?

And another: How many Texans moved to California during the Dust Bowl? Perhaps their progeny are returning to the ancestral homeland.
I’m afraid California is turning into a Dust Bowl due to lack of precipitation.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:29 PM

7,368 posts, read 3,529,717 times
Get used to it. Progressiveness always wins. In 20 years todays democrats will be yesterdays republicans. Obama will look like a moderate in the history "books". States like Tennessee in 20 years will look like New Jersey now. States like CA will be like North Korea.

Ask a North Korean what they think of their leader. Never speak against progress. People will love their government and leaders as they should. Lock step. March like a N. Korean soldier right to the polls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies