Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 06:21 AM

59,186 posts, read 27,388,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
That’s a fundamental difference between republicans and democrats and their propensity to be conservative and progressive. Conservatives would not want major changes to the constitution. They would be by nature conservative in their approach. Progressives on the other hand would fight to make crazy large changes. The constitution is safer in republican hands than democrat hands.
"Conservatives would not want major changes to the constitution"

Personally I agree. What I want is for the EXISTING Constitution to be followed the way our Founding Fathers meant it to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 06:21 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,840,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
By my count, Republicans now totally control 31 state houses. Minnesota is split.

28 States have already agreed to have a Limited Constitutional Convention.

Since the Pubs now control 3 more, 28 could become 31, leaving them just 3 states shy.
Convention to propose amendments to the United States Constitution

Interesting idea. However you need 34 states just to be able to have a convention, but 38 states are needed to approve such amendments. According the above link we are very far from having enough states to even have a convention. And my guess is if the GOP actually got 34 states to meet it, they would simply push abortion bans and election fraud reform as the main issues which would make the whole process DOA.

In recent years, some have argued that state governments should call for such a convention.[5][6] They include Michael Farris, Lawrence Lessig, Sanford Levinson, Larry Sabato, Jonathan Turley, Mark Levin, Ben Shapiro, and Greg Abbott.[5][7][8][9][10] In 2015, Citizens for Self-Governance launched a nationwide effort to call an Article V Convention, through a project called Convention of the States, in a bid to "rein in the federal government".[11]

As of 2021, CSG's resolution has passed in 15 states.[12][13][14] Similarly, the group Wolf-PAC chose this method to promote its cause, which is to overturn the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Citizens United v. FEC. Their resolution has passed in five states.[15]

Old 10-18-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I would suggest an amendment requiring a balanced budget... except for when the country is involved in a war explicitly declared by Congress as the Constitution requires.

Careful, though. If you start debating in a Const Conv over a Balanced Budget, the Democrats would immediately point out that it would not be fair to the people who have been "contributing" to Social Security all their working lives, and are now getting SS benefits. They would demand that Social Security be exempt from the balanced-budget requirement. This would have two results:

(a) Every spending bill in the future would have its title amended to "The Johnson-Smith Bill for Social Security and to also spend money on the following three thousand other programs...." or something like that, whether it actually involved SS or not. Which would simply mean that the requirement to balance the Fed budget would be DOA and never implemented.

(b) "Social Security" would finally be present in the Constitution for the first time in history, thus making it a program authorized to for the Fed govt to run... which it has never been to date.

Forget the Balanced Budget Amendment. It'll never happen in the way you want, and will have only deleterious consequences.

Now you're talking my language. I suggest this part have another, additional command: That lump sum payment is due the day before Election Day in November. In years where there are no Federal elections in early November, the lump sum payment is due on the first Monday in November. And if Election Day is moved to a different date, the Due Date for the tax payment is similarly moved, to remain the day before Election Day.

And, of course, "Election Day" must become an actual "Day", not a longer period, except for people who write to their state election Board and request a mail-in ballot, and supply a good reason as many states have required for years previously.
"Now you're talking my language."

I am for a federal sales tax ONLY.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
Nothing will change. Both and all sides are already bought and paid for.
So, what country are you moving to?

Old 10-18-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
The Roman Empire fell, along with all their powerful people, so it can happen again here.
People should read up on Argentina, which is much closer in time.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:29 AM

7,943 posts, read 3,490,409 times
I'm sorry but although I understand the desire by some people on the right to see a Constitutional convention, I think having one while woke ideology is in a period of dominance in our society could be one of the stupidest and most destructive things we could ever do as a nation. They would bully their way in to it and destroy everything we hold sacrosanct and then even the Constitution would not be able to curb their most pernicious excesses.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:36 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think you would have little opposition to that one.

Maybe among the public, but I see little interest being generated either with the MIC or those who'd be forced to put their names on the declaration.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:38 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"You have fallen victim to believing radical right lies."

And YOU have fallen victim to believing radical LEFT lies!

And the Constitution itself has fallen victim to both.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:56 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,026,935 times
Quote:
Time to revisit this topc...

The latest on this is that 15 states have passed a Convention of States resolution, & COSA says in 2021, 25 more are considering it. 34 are needed for the Convention of States to be called.

If 19 of the 25 considering it pass a resolution, than it will happen.

The VA and NJ Governor races, & all those State House elections have Convention of State implications.

If Biden, AOC, Sanders, Pelosi, Shumer, ect.. ram Trillions more in new spending down the throats of Moderate Dems, I can see this happening, especially in the light of how unpopular Biden has become so quickly.

As a poster in this thread commented earlier, this is NOT purely a Dem vs. Pub issue, its States vs. Federal Gov't overreach that is the issue.
There will be no convention.

Politicians don’t care about term limits, capping debt, or anything else from your op.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:23 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,925,447 times
I do wish we have term limits for Congress and senate. Nancy and others has profited using their positions of power and stopped working for the American citizens a long time ago. They forget that they work for us, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies