Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 12:16 PM

8,216 posts, read 3,481,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
A balanced budget amendment wouldn't necessarily have to be immediate and could be worked in over a period of years.

The first thing they should cut is foreign aid. Severely reduce it to 25% of its current level, or nothing at all which I prefer. Also end the stupid pointless useless grants for idiotic things like gender studies in Pakistan and the like.

There is so much useless spending, like the $450K payments to illegals, that goes beyond the pale of what is reasonable and practical that with a little effort the budget could be balanced.

Put America and Americans (and taxpayer money) first. Take care of ourselves before we give it away to be squandered by corrupt foreign entities that view this country as the cash cow of the world.
The $450k thing is insane. It's obvious that they intend to bankrupt the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 12:19 PM

8,216 posts, read 3,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
If this ever happens the "progressives" and the lobbyists will rape our Constitution and leave it unrecognizable. I understand the sentiment but you don't grant these insane people access to such a powerful process. You'll walk in to the convention thinking you hold all the cards and walk out of it a serf.
Right. My liberal professors wanted a convention to get rid of the "outdated" second amendment. One of them would even rant about it. They would love to gut the constitution.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:27 PM

18,720 posts, read 7,599,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
With the Virginia victory, its time to kick up my Convention of States post...

...Republicans now control Virginia, so we are now just 2 states shy of being able to submit an application to have a limited constitutional convention.
Whose "limitations" will be immediately ignored by the big-govt advocates at the convention. A Constitutional Convention can do ANYTHING to the Constitution. From tossing out the 1st or 2nd amendment, to enshrining Social Security as an authorized function of the Fed govt (which until now it never has been), to ditto for Welfare, OSHA, and the EPA, to actually throwing out the entire Constitution and replacing it with an unlimited dictatorship. All these things can be done by a Constitutional Convention. Including one that promises to be "limited" and then laughs in our face as soon as the gavel falls.

How do you intend to make SURE they don't do those things?

Until you make sure, a Constitutional Convention is the most dangerous thing you can possibly do to this country. A CC has no checks and balances.

The Convention held in 1789, was announced as one whose only intent was to modify the then-in-force Articles of Confederation. As soon as they got inside the hall, they closed and locked the doors, and threw out that governing document entirely. They implemented strict secrecy, with each member swearing not to talk to ANY reporters or other outside people, about what they were doing. Fortunately they had a large majority of responsible, conservative delegates that time, and they "checked and balanced" each other, and carefully produced a new document that allowed the Fed govt only a few specified powers, with all others forbidden ("reserved to the states, or the people").

Is there any chance that a second Constitutional Convention will be anywhere near that responsible? I see NO chance.

Last edited by Roboteer; 11-05-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-05-2021, 12:32 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,128 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if you are directing your query at me or not, but I'll assume you are...

1st of all, I'm a registered Republican, only because I live in a closed primary state (Florida). I'm actually a Conservative, & more closely aligned with Libertarians, but I'm not a Libertarian, due to their global isolationist views, that I disagree with.

2nd, I dont see things through the lens of Red or Blue, but instead of the top 1% controlling the 99%.

3rd, I dont see the impending Limited Constitutional Convention of States as left or right, Blue or Red, or Dems vs Pubs, but rather the power of the states vs. the power of the federal government.

4th, I'm for a LIMITED Constitutional Convention of States, so we don't wind up tearing our Constitution apart.

5th, I'm not wanting to re-create anything in my own image, but I do insist we return to the image of the Founding Fathers.

What we have now isn't working, & proof of that is our $29T debt, failing public education, & healthcare, extreme devisiveness, & massive income/wealth gaps.
This is a similar post to when you tried to convince everyone you were a moderate centrist and not many believed you then, either. Your posting has clearly shown you view politics as a Red/Blue thing and you’re red. Post history is searchable:

Recent post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...l#post62255062

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus
I'd like to personally thank you for being part of the new Red wave....a Trifecta of wins in Virginia...awesome!

Old 11-05-2021, 01:30 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times
OP:

Rewriting the constitution won’t reduce corruption. In every country on the planet, money talks.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:12 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if you are directing your query at me or not, but I'll assume you are...

1st of all, I'm a registered Republican, only because I live in a closed primary state (Florida). I'm actually a Conservative, & more closely aligned with Libertarians, but I'm not a Libertarian, due to their global isolationist views, that I disagree with.

2nd, I dont see things through the lens of Red or Blue, but instead of the top 1% controlling the 99%.

3rd, I dont see the impending Limited Constitutional Convention of States as left or right, Blue or Red, or Dems vs Pubs, but rather the power of the states vs. the power of the federal government.

4th, I'm for a LIMITED Constitutional Convention of States, so we don't wind up tearing our Constitution apart.

5th, I'm not wanting to re-create anything in my own image, but I do insist we return to the image of the Founding Fathers.

What we have now isn't working, & proof of that is our $29T debt, failing public education, & healthcare, extreme devisiveness, & massive income/wealth gaps.
My comment was generalized but seeing you took ownership. This isn't about you, your current position or how you think this will be done. Once the process starts they will tear everything apart and try to remake it in their image and I don't trust them or their views for a better future.

We couldn't pass a Constitutional Amendment today if our lives depended on it what makes you think that
a "LIMITED Constitutional Convention of States," would have any success or are you counting on enough of the right viewpoint will ensure what they accomplish...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 11-05-2021 at 03:32 PM..

Old 11-05-2021, 02:20 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
I know that feeling. So far I've been to committed or too lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
If I lived in a place where my vote "didn't count" due to my values differing from the culture of the community, I would move.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:25 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Last year, total retail sales were about $5.6 trillion. So your sales tax would bring in $560 billion dollars. In the mean time, the federal budget is about 6 trillion. So you're sales tax would bring in about 10% of what's needed to fund the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
The same way they pay for cars. Put them on a payment plan.

TBH throw the federal income tax code in the trash (the entire thing), abolish the IRS and implement a federal sales tax of no more than 10%.

Oh and abolish social security too, or at least create an opt-out.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:26 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Last year, total retail sales were about $5.6 trillion. So your sales tax would bring in $560 billion dollars. In the mean time, the federal budget is about 6 trillion. So you're sales tax would bring in about 10% of what's needed to fund the government.
Cut the federal budget accordingly.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:33 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
By my count, Republicans now totally control 31 state houses. Minnesota is split.

28 States have already agreed to have a Limited Constitutional Convention.

Since the Pubs now control 3 more, 28 could become 31, leaving them just 3 states shy.

If Minnesota agreed, we'd be at 32, just 2 shy. A few other state houses are on the cusp, & could go Red in 2022.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/states...t-amendment-or

https://ballotpedia.org/State_legisl...lections,_2020

The debate could be limited to just a few amendments to the Constitution...

-Balanced federal budget amendment

-Term limit changes for House & Senate

-Campaign finance laws

Others could be added, such as one to limit foreign investment (China), & another to fix our broken election system.

My personal favorite, would be to end federal witholding of income taxes. It would be paid annually in a lump sum instead.

In a nutshell, most states feel as if the Federal Goverment has become too powerful, and some of that power must be stripped. I agree.
This an incorrect analysis. The number is 38 states, not 34.

You can call a convention all you like but it takes 38 to ratify any measure. Even with 34 you still need to find 4 other states to go along
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies