Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 01:14 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,860,551 times

Advertisements

Wow, the homicide numbers in 2020 throughout America are something else.

Such an amazing first-rate country. The rest of the devoloped world must be laughing at this dump or confused about what America's moral collapse.

317 homicides so far this in Baltimore with less than 600,000 people.
302 homicides in Memphis population: 650,000
265 homicides in Poland ('18 numbers) population: 37 million
290 homicides in Spain ('18 numbers) population: 46 million

36 homicides in East. St Louis population: 26,000
25 homicides in Norway ('18) population: 5 million

471 homicides in Philadelphia (population: 1.5 million)
345 homicides in italy in '18 (population: 60 million)

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis..._offences).png

https://homicides.news.baltimoresun.com/?range=2020

Last edited by lovecrowds; 12-16-2020 at 01:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 03:30 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
There are around 15,000 non suicide gun deaths per year meanwhile there are 850,000 abortions and those are only the ones officially recorded.

What is the point of this post? We all know....more gun laws when the left wants to defund police and never enforces the existing laws.

What would you do to solve inner city violence besides "more gun laws?". They can't just be thrown back on the street when they break laws. Legalize pot nationwide and have a tough on crime policy for everything else.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:15 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Such an amazing first-rate country. The rest of the devoloped world must be laughing at this dump or confused about what America's moral collapse.

It's absolutely tragic, isn't it ? So how do we go about changing the "survival of the fittest" mentality that causes this type of thing ? How do you change the person that thinks that taking a life is the way to settle "beefs" ? Add drug addiction and mental illness into the picture and it makes it even worse.

What complex solution do you propose for this complex problem ?

Old 12-16-2020, 05:26 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,498,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It's absolutely tragic, isn't it ? So how do we go about changing the "survival of the fittest" mentality that causes this type of thing ? How do you change the person that thinks that taking a life is the way to settle "beefs" ? Add drug addiction and mental illness into the picture and it makes it even worse.

What complex solution do you propose for this complex problem ?
I propose we take the opposite approach the leftists are taking. Before I went to bed last night, I heard that LA has instructed prisons to release half their populations (including violent offenders) because they are at risk for COVID. Now I wake up to the news that an LA elected official (forget his role) wants charges reduced against a lowlife who murdered two people, including an off-duty police officer at Jack in the Box.

We have got to stop lending our sympathies more to the thugs rather than the victims. We need MORE prisons, and we need to give harsher punishments (while simultaneously protecting innocent citizens). I am fine with two populations - decent, law-abiding people who live freely, and lowlife thugs who commit felonies who live restricted lives in prison.

The worst example is what happened this summer here in DC: the liberals released a rapist because....awwww, he might catch the virus....and the animal went straight to the house of his victim the very morning of his release and....killed her.

You don’t want to end up in a crowded prison during a pandemic? Well then don’t commit crimes.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:33 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,427,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Anyone who sees this number and condemns America is an idiot and shouldn't be a concern. All these homocides happen mainly in big Democrat controlled cities; don't blame the rest of us for the failed social experiments of the left.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I propose we take the opposite approach the leftists are taking. Before I went to bed last night, I heard that LA has instructed prisons to release half their populations (including violent offenders) because they are at risk for COVID. Now I wake up to the news that an LA elected official (forget his role) wants charges reduced against a lowlife who murdered two people, including an off-duty police officer at Jack in the Box.

We have got to stop lending our sympathies more to the thugs rather than the victims. We need MORE prisons, and we need to give harsher punishments (while simultaneously protecting innocent citizens). I am fine with two populations - decent, law-abiding people who live freely, and lowlife thugs who commit felonies who live restricted lives in prison.

The worst example is what happened this summer here in DC: the liberals released a rapist because....awwww, he might catch the virus....and the animal went straight to the house of his victim the very morning of his release and....killed her.

You don’t want to end up in a crowded prison during a pandemic? Well then don’t commit crimes.
I like the way you think.
First off, start making prisons a place to be feared, by all, not just the law abiding. Second, stop with the plea bargains. I just watched a video and an individual had 4 firearms cases against him. He walked with 4 days served, then proceeded to kill someone. This should never have happened.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:51 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I like the way you think.
First off, start making prisons a place to be feared, by all, not just the law abiding. Second, stop with the plea bargains. I just watched a video and an individual had 4 firearms cases against him. He walked with 4 days served, then proceeded to kill someone. This should never have happened.
Prisons are already violent and crazy. They are the scariest places you can go to. Prison might initially scare some criminals, but once they get used to the violence in prison, the craziness, they get institutionalized. Prison is more like home to them than the outside world. This is one reason why the recidivism rate is so high.

I agree wholeheartedly with the adage "You do the crime, you do the time". However, watching alot of prison documentaries, and doing some reading, I've found out something. Hard time doesn't scare someone doesn't have the ability to live in regular society.

We have the largest prison population in the world. Louisiana and Oklahoma are the top incarcerators of the USA. Both have the death penalty too. Louisiana is the murder capital of America. And since we're talking about murder, let's talk about this. Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, they are the top murderous states in America. They rank high for imprisonment. They are tough on crime. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to deter future criminals.

Imprisoning violent criminals isn't hard. The problem is that we have many people who seem to adjust better to prison than living in the free world.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:54 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
there are still some third world sections in the US. No surprise here.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:59 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

We have the largest prison population in the world. Louisiana and Oklahoma are the top incarcerators of the USA. Both have the death penalty too. Louisiana is the murder capital of America. And since we're talking about murder, let's talk about this. Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, they are the top murderous states in America. They rank high for imprisonment. They are tough on crime. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to deter future criminals.

Imprisoning violent criminals isn't hard. The problem is that we have many people who seem to adjust better to prison than living in the free world.
Have you read about prisons in Mississippi and Alabama? Specifically, Parchman in Mississippi and Holman in Alabama? So violent that the Federal Govt. is investigating both of them (under the Trump Admin.) I'm pretty sure Louisiana's prison system is not much better, but Parchman is probably the worst in the U.S..

Clearly, the lock 'em all up approach just breeds a more violent society.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Prisons are already violent and crazy. They are the scariest places you can go to. Prison might initially scare some criminals, but once they get used to the violence in prison, the craziness, they get institutionalized. Prison is more like home to them than the outside world. This is one reason why the recidivism rate is so high.

I agree wholeheartedly with the adage "You do the crime, you do the time". However, watching alot of prison documentaries, and doing some reading, I've found out something. Hard time doesn't scare someone doesn't have the ability to live in regular society.

And that is a huge problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies