Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2020, 03:20 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Well, that's your opinion. But the founding fathers did not think using percentages is evil and immoral. You're welcome to stay in your country rather than coming here if you like their tax structure better.
It’s not an opinion. When someone is forced to pay more taxes while other pay nothing, that is immoral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 03:23 PM

8,302 posts, read 3,820,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It’s not an opinion. When someone is forced to pay more taxes while other pay nothing, that is immoral.
There's nothing immoral about it. We don't pay taxes because we're creating economic growth by investing in business activity and hiring people. That creates jobs, and contributes to society.

Last edited by TexasLawyer2000; 12-25-2020 at 03:31 PM..

Old 12-25-2020, 03:23 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times
Quote:
I don’t understand your question.

For example, when you have the minimum wage law, you are forcing people to do things they don’t want to do. Why do you do that unless you think the people are your slaves?
well, you can declare "I say a chicken is a duck!" but it will never swim in a pond. That's like yoou calling this "slavery".

I guess the questions were oversimplified, but I'll split them apart and expand a bit for you:

If you are the business owner, are you required (forced) to employ someone (in particular) or anyone at all?

No.

As an individual, is there any requirement that you work a certain # of hours?

Again, no.

Old 12-25-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, you can declare "I say a chicken is a duck!" but it will never swim in a pond. That's like yoou calling this "slavery".

I guess the questions were oversimplified, but I'll split them apart and expand a bit for you:

If you are the business owner, are you required (forced) to employ someone (in particular) or anyone at all?

No.

As an individual, is there any requirement that you work a certain # of hours?

Again, no.
As soon as you want to hire someone, you are required to pay a certain wage.

Are you being obtuse?

Old 12-25-2020, 04:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times
add "immoral" to the list of absurd statements.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:50 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,607,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And yet, by every metric, peoples lives are better off now then they were 100 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Depends on one's perspective on what 'better off' actually looks like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
By every health standard, living standard, and economic metric, we are. How are we worse off?
Quote:
Not sure I can tackle this in a blurb post, but I will give it shot

Health Standard before covid and it was Andrew Yang that brought it to people's attention

CDC Data Show U.S. Life Expectancy Continues to Decline

100 years ago the life expectancy decline was because of the Spanish flu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The CDC lied.

There are three different measures of Life Expectancy used by actuarial scientists (and Social Security):

1) Life Expectancy from Birth
2) Life Expectancy from Age 35
3) Life Expectancy from Age 65

Life Expectancy from Birth and from Age 35 have declined but not from Age 65.

It has ZERO to do with healthcare.

Other countries do not have a Baltimore or Chicago or Cincinnati or Detroit or St Louis where Blacks indiscriminately murder Blacks on a daily basis.

You do understand that 6.2% of your population commits 54.9% of all murders, right?

The other cause of low Life Expectancy from Birth is drug-over doses, which other countries do not experience either.

Having universal healthcare will not stop 6.2% of your population from committing 54.9% of murders nor will it stop drug over-doses.
Increase in drug overdose was the (cause) reason the CDC gave for the life expectancy last 3 year decline; good to know they lied about that. And what does other countries have to do with the situation(s) in the u.s. and the op? and/or the post I was responding too?
Not to throw you off, but I looked something up:
“Life Expectancy” – What does this actually mean?
If it is hard for you to keep up, let me further iterate:

Quote:
Depends on one's perspective on what 'better off' actually looks like.
A person's whose life was cut short by big pharma and their technical advances, which has absolutely nothing to do with poverty, but for those who can afford it --- their perspective on how much life is better now, than it was 100 years ago, I'm sure is well, is different from those that have not been effected by it.

Quote:
I do not hold a political label and Okay I miss spoke. What part of it doesn't matter that you don't get ....

Taxes on the Rich Were Not That Much Higher in the 1950s
Quote:
Wrong. I do get that. I've repeatedly said so.

That's why "91%" is in quotes.

Liberals on this forum have repeatedly claimed the tax rate was 91% on 100% of income and I repeatedly beat them down with the fact that it was 91% on a tiny portion of income and that because the IRS Tax Code of 1954 and earlier are in no way like the IRS Tax Code of 1986, very few people actually paid more than 55%.

But none of that matters because tax rates have no effect or bearing on the stupidity of The Poor® because The Poor® are stupid.

Period.

Don't you watch TV? There's some turd with $1,200 in butt-ugly tattoos whining that he ain't got $400 cash for an emergency.

The Poor® do everything wrong. They got $125 for dope but they ain't got $125 to spend at the vocational school on a MIG/TIG welding certification course that will allow them to double, triple or quadruple their hourly wage.

The only way to help The Poor® is to assign them a Life Coach who would live in their home and tell them every second of their pathetic lives what to do and what not to do so they don't screw it up and be a burden on the restivus.
Do you have one of those, life coaches, if so have they helped? If so, how? Did you start with 4 cents in your pocket, an immigrant to now a well known Billionaire in which some people now drive your cars? Are you them? With a life coach. Wow, got to get one of those as that will grant me a competitive edge to rise. Then I can go shopping with my sister.
Quote:
I don't ever see anyone counter the argument that if we took all the US individual wealth, and spread it evenly per person or per family, that pretty soon 90% of the rich would be rich again and 90% of the poor would be poor again.
Quote:
That would be the long and short of it and they don't have a counter-argument.
What's the argument? What really changed in that poor man's life? Don't tell me --- opportunities suddenly opened up in the poor man's life, after taxes that is and granted him a life never known before.

It's not like I haven't heard what BoBromhal said, before. My mother use to say it --- give a rich man a million dollars and he will be a million dollars richer --- give a poor man a million dollars and he will be poor again.

Having heard that from like the 1970s from a mother, whose education was that of a hair dresser --- or today a stylist, where does that come from --- ? But I can not find the original quote ... or person who may have been the first to say it. She probably heard it said on a talk show, since that was the thing she was exposed to the most.

I did find poor Richards almanac:

" ... advice on how to meet the “heavy Taxes” now in force."

And

Difference Between Rich & Wealthy

"The simple difference between a rich person and a wealthy person is that a wealthy person has sustainable wealth. In other words, a wealthy person will always be wealthy, whereas someone who is merely rich will only be so for a short period of time until the money is gone."

And they will fall into the higher tax bracket --- until, the money, is gone.

Two biblical quotes that transcend 4000 years of civilization:

"The poor will always be among us."
"Teach a man to fish."

Has it ever occurred to any that some people do not want to be in the higher tax bracket? and then there are those that, it will be something new: 8 Million Have Slipped Into Poverty Since May as Federal Aid Has Dried Up

Now that's how (****) it trickles down. May be they should have learned to fish, or obtained a life coach.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
add "immoral" to the list of absurd statements.
The real absurdity is masquerading immorality as something grand.

The moment you whip out your gun, you have lost all your morality.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:43 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,261,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
That is due to politicians and the top 1%.

Who do you blame? The janitor at your local Elementary school?
Historically when the upper class (<1%) loses the support of the bourgeoisie, of which you are a member, they are overthrown.

The bourgeoisie is large enough and talented enough to overmaster the upper class, which is why the upper class works so assiduously to court bourgeois support and occasionally admits bourgeois new men into their ranks.

Interesting to see 2% vs 1%. That's a sign the system is starting to crack.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Historically when the upper class (<1%) loses the support of the bourgeoisie, of which you are a member, they are overthrown.

The bourgeoisie is large enough and talented enough to overmaster the upper class, which is why the upper class works so assiduously to court bourgeois support and occasionally admits bourgeois new men into their ranks.

Interesting to see 2% vs 1%. That's a sign the system is starting to crack.
Except 80% of the rich people are self-made first generation rich.

More interestingly, 70-80% of the rich people lose their wealth by the third generation and 90% by the fourth.

So there is no upper class crapping on the lower class. There is tremendous mobility between the “classes.”

Old 12-25-2020, 07:09 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,261,642 times
Quote:
Except 80% of the rich people are self-made first generation rich.

More interestingly, 70-80% of the rich people lose their wealth by the third generation and 90% by the fourth.

So there is no upper class crapping on the lower class. There is tremendous mobility between the “classes.”
The 80% number refers to millionaires. That you're considering them "rich" shows at best sloppy use of language.

To be in the top 1% in wealth you need $11 million. That's even an overly broad net to cast. The upper class is arguably the top 0.1% who have enough money to exert political power.

Being a self-made millionaire doesn't make you rich. It makes you bourgeois, or what we call upper middle class in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies