Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 04:20 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times

Advertisements

And no, I don't mean the one-in-a-million who earn $10 million + while their workforce earns peanuts.

I mean that it is good that some people, with a high school education only, have boring retail or factory jobs and rent modest apartments; while other people, who sacrificed and worked hard to get a college education, have professional positions and live in their own houses.

How so? Because it a) teaches that through hard work and career preparation, one is more likely to be successful, and b) encourages behavior that leads to that success.

For example, Dad was the child of poorly educated immigrants (legal), who rented small apartments their entire lives, and held tedious jobs. Dad wanted more, and worked hard to achieve a level of academic success at the high school level to earn a fully paid college education. Ten years after that, he was living in his own house in the suburbs, his young wife and baby (a cute one, if I do say so myself!) in tow, and holding an interesting job.

This is a good thing. It's called upward mobility.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:26 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
The job of a teacher is to inform a student on how things work and not wait for a student to discover this information.

Your explanation of inequity sounds more like discovery rather than direct teaching. And the method of learning this precise "lesson" sounds like ideology which is one thing to avoid as a teacher.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
The job of a teacher is to inform a student on how things work and not wait for a student to discover this information.

Your explanation of inequity sounds more like discovery rather than direct teaching. And the method of learning this precise "lesson" sounds like ideology which is one thing to avoid as a teacher.
Is it that hard for a teenager to "discover" that if he prepares for a career (via college or trade school in a lucrative trade), he will be better off than getting a job at Walmart or Appleby's right out of high school?

Old 12-23-2020, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Is it that hard for a teenager to "discover" that if he prepares for a career (via college or trade school in a lucrative trade), he will be better off than getting a job at Walmart or Appleby's right out of high school?
I didn't say it can't be learned, but it is not teaching.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I didn't say it can't be learned, but it is not teaching.
We differ on the definition of "teaching." Teaching doesn't have to be a teacher telling a kid "go to college and you'll be more successful." It can also be the result of some VERY obvious observation, such as that kids who prepare for a career or trade do better than those who don't.

In fact, and this gets away from politics I suppose, one could argue that real-life lessons (as opposed to a teacher just INFORMING someone) carries more weight. It's sort of like the old saying, "SHOW me, don't tell me."

Old 12-23-2020, 04:39 AM

Quote:
We differ on the definition of "teaching." Teaching doesn't have to be a teacher telling a kid "go to college and you'll be more successful." It can also be the result of some VERY obvious observation, such as that kids who prepare for a career or trade do better than those who don't.

In fact, and this gets away from politics I suppose, one could argue that real-life lessons (as opposed to a teacher just INFORMING someone) carries more weight. It's sort of like the old saying, "SHOW me, don't tell me."
Making obvious observations is not teaching. It is looking at what is there and discovering the rules on how the system works. When somebody shows you the ropes, then it is teaching.

If a teacher just informs of what she was taught without knowing the system, then she or he is not teaching.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:40 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:

Exactly! Learning life lessons through the teacher of personal experience is the best kind of learning.

Forced attempts at government driven equal outcomes will turn us into dependent, controlled serfs except for the few elite and their cronies.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Exactly! Learning life lessons through the teacher of personal experience is the best kind of learning.

Forced attempts at government driven equal outcomes will turn us into dependent, controlled serfs except for the few elite and their cronies.
That is not learning by teaching. That is learning by discovery.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:43 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
That is not learning by teaching. That is learning by discovery.
Go ahead, focus on semantics instead of the message and valid point of the thread.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Go ahead, focus on semantics instead of the message and valid point of the thread.
It sounds like the point of the thread is "bootstraps."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies