Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 05:11 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Saying that real-life observation "teaches" a lesson doesn't imply that there's an actual skin-and-blood teacher involved. And using "teaches" in that fashion is completely acceptable, and done all the time.

(When I was young, some guy told me he knew I "was the one" for him by the second date, and thus when he asked me to lend him $500, I did. That sure TAUGHT me a lesson!)
You are right to use the word in that way because words do have connotation but this is not permanent and will change over time. Words have denotation which is permanent. For the word "teach" the denotation is "point out."

I grew up in an environment of "pull yourself up with bootstraps" and when all that was offered was a public education where the teachers taught from ideology, learning the "hard way" was preferable in many instances. It is how I got myself out of a hellhole.

But I have met teachers who actually point out and it is very different from my public education.
This way of learning is very different from "bootstraps" and discovery as well. Both kinds of learning are needed and for the lucky kid, the difference is pointed out to them.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:22 AM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
For society to function you need to have people to do low level jobs like taking out garbage and cleaning toilets and you still need doctors lawyers philosophy majors. The difference is in today's evil capitalist model a doctor does not earn as much as the person who hauls your trash. That is what I'm saying is unfair. why should a doctor make a lot of money but yet someone who does an equally important job earn less money it's not fair. Same thing with retail work and people who work at a supermarket. They should have the same access to money that a physician or a lawyer has. Again their job is just as important because society wouldn't function without them. I think anyone who is willing and able to work should receive the fruits of their labor in compensation. Likewise for those unable to work, they need a safety net as well and should still have access to having a decent home and all the other amenities that unnecessary for a comfortable existence. When you have people who burn more money in a day than most people would earn in a lifetime, that just isn't fair and they need to be brought down a little bit so everybody else can be on equal footing.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
For society to function you need to have people to do low level jobs like taking out garbage and cleaning toilets and you still need doctors lawyers philosophy majors. The difference is in today's evil capitalist model a doctor does not earn as much as the person who hauls your trash. That is what I'm saying is unfair. why should a doctor make a lot of money but yet someone who does an equally important job earn less money it's not fair. Same thing with retail work and people who work at a supermarket. They should have the same access to money that a physician or a lawyer has. Again their job is just as important because society wouldn't function without them. I think anyone who is willing and able to work should receive the fruits of their labor in compensation. Likewise for those unable to work, they need a safety net as well and should still have access to having a decent home and all the other amenities that unnecessary for a comfortable existence. When you have people who burn more money in a day than most people would earn in a lifetime, that just isn't fair and they need to be brought down a little bit so everybody else can be on equal footing.
Many of those low level jobs can be done by just about anyone. If they start charging the same amount as a doctor, they would not be hired.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:28 AM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Many of those low level jobs can be done by just about anyone. If they start charging the same amount as a doctor, they would not be hired.
Disagree, have you ever observed people haul your trash in the cold and the rain in the heat from one house to another lifting heavy objects and throwing them into the truck? It is work that can not be done by just anyone.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:39 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Quote:
Disagree, have you ever observed people haul your trash in the cold and the rain in the heat from one house to another lifting heavy objects and throwing them into the truck? It is work that can not be done by just anyone.
...and in some communities like NY, some trash men can make up to $45/hour.

https://money.cnn.com/2016/02/24/new...kers-high-pay/

Old 12-23-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
That is true and those jobs cannot be lifelong. They eventually take a toll on the body and they would need to be replaced.

I'll be honest. I want somebody to cook for me, clean for me, and take the trash out for me. However, I won't hire anybody who wants to be paid like a doctor. I will just do it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies