Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should prisoners be at the head of the line for covid vaccinations?
No 35 49.30%
Yes 9 12.68%
Only prisoners with comorbidities 2 2.82%
No - just the staff at the prisons 25 35.21%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 12:42 PM

6,348 posts, read 2,903,321 times

Advertisements

According to this experts say inmates can transmit the disease to prison employees as well as healthcare workers who treat them. But doesn't that mean the prison employees and healthcare workers should be first in line?

Debate Heats Up Over Whether Prisoners Should Be Among First to Get COVID-19 Vaccines

Quote:
As the coveted vials of COVID-19 vaccine begin rolling out across the country, some states are still scrambling to figure out who should be first in line to get the limited shots.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source says healthcare workers and people in long-term care facilities should be prioritized.
But a handful of states have added another group to that first tier: prisoners....

Last month, the American Medical Association recommended that inmates should be prioritized...

“The prisons are overcrowded, the inmates live in close quarters and can’t socially distance,” he told Healthline. “Some of the buildings date back to the 1800s. There’s poor ventilation.”
“Jail ages inmates, their bodies deteriorate, they often have underlying illnesses like diabetes, asthma, seizures,” Lee added.
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...tial-hot-spots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 04:50 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Only for experimental purposes, kind of like how we used AOC. Hopefully it doesn’t make her dumber.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:55 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Nope. They lost their freedom.

In any event, this virus has a 99.5% survival rate. More than likely all they'll get is the sniffles if they get it. Some may have a lot worse symptoms, as I did...and even more might even be hospitalized, but that's pretty rare.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:59 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
For me it's not so much about the privilege or freedom and it's not a reward. It's about vaccinating those who we don't want to have to treat. And prisoners are definitely in that category. Any of them who get seriously ill are a risk to many. And an expense.

Vaccinate them if that makes sense for the local health dept and decision making. It's not an if it's a when....Let's not micromanage and over-analyze. There's more vaccine coming next week.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:06 PM

7,936 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Only if officials stop releasing prisoners for fear of covid exposure first.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:07 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,138,411 times
I couldn't make a choice, because it is my feeling that the reason they may be prioritized is to use them as human guinea pigs. Do I think that is right or wrong? I think the prisoners should have a choice whether they want to take the vaccine or not, just like everyone else should have a choice. They can certainly have the 3 meant for us!

Old 12-22-2020, 05:10 PM

648 posts, read 432,226 times
As a society, we have taken it upon ourselves to humanely care for those that have violated societal rules. Does that mean they need to be given preferential treatment during a pandemic? I would say not. However, they are living in close proximity to each other, sort of like college students in a dorm. I am not going to lose any sleep over it. Probably the jailers should be given some priority, same as first responders. They have family at home, while prisoners do not go home.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:40 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,807,618 times
I voted yes, because it seems like the alternative is letting
criminals out of prison. Vaccinate them and keep em locked up.
It's outrageous that they are letting hardened criminals out.
(The guards and staff should get it first.)

Old 12-22-2020, 05:42 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
I voted the third option, I think if they meet the criteria for early adoption because of age, health, or underlying issues, then that would be fine to have those people go first. I don't think all prisoners as an entire group should get to jump to the front.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:02 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Only for experimental purposes, kind of like how we used AOC. Hopefully it doesn’t make her dumber.
Good god, could you imagine? Hopefully not-she doesn't have a brain cell to spare.

Regarding prisoners-unless we want to use them as test subjects, they need to be dead LAST for a vaccine. We have actual, decent, law abiding Americans to be concerned about. Vaccinate the guards and staff to protect them. The prisoners? They have proven that they care nothing about others; there is no reason to be concerned for them.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 12-22-2020 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies