Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 06:08 AM

5,480 posts, read 2,133,319 times

Advertisements

Since you're 5...Let me ask you when to all the people who have worked through all of this get a seven month paid vacation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 06:13 AM

24,817 posts, read 9,583,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Socking your money away in tax exempt instruments isn't spending and doesn't help anyone. Don't have to imagine that because it's reality.
Rich people don't live in trailer parks nor drive kias, they spend their money like everyone else (because you can't take it with you when you die)

Don't have to imagine that because it's reality.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:35 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,543,472 times
It annoys me as well. I have not missed a pay check during Covid and there is no reason for increased government debt to give me money I do not deserve. Americans used to be concerned about the country’s debt and a “balanced budget” but those notions were abandoned by republicans years ago. Democrats never embraced a balanced budget so we will all suffer in the future. Certainly individuals who lost their jobs and small businesses that have either gone under or, are on the verge of doing so need assistance. The rest of us do not.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:44 AM

17,871 posts, read 13,807,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A lot of people make that same mistake interpreting that allegory. Robin Hood stole money from the government to give it back to those who were highly-taxed.

I'm highly-taxed, but I don't qualify to get my tax money returned to me via COVID relief checks. Where's my Robin Hood? I could surely use one!
Giving money to poor people is unwise. They need to give it to us rich people so we can let it trickle down to the poors. And who knows? We might create some jobs if the poors and the government treat us right.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:04 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,129,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
It annoys me as well. I have not missed a pay check during Covid and there is no reason for increased government debt to give me money I do not deserve. Americans used to be concerned about the country’s debt and a “balanced budget” but those notions were abandoned by republicans years ago. Democrats never embraced a balanced budget so we will all suffer in the future. Certainly individuals who lost their jobs and small businesses that have either gone under or, are on the verge of doing so need assistance. The rest of us do not.
The only justification I can think of is that Americans are so selfish, that they would oppose money going to people in need if they weren't getting paid too. It's the only reason we have a SS cap on contributions. It's the only reason we're debating any kind of student loan remedy.

Americans are undeniably cruel if they think they are getting screwed. We'll even screw ourselves harder if we think we're getting screwed by someone else.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:16 AM

30,282 posts, read 11,924,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I mostly agree that if someone is making exactly what they made last year, they do not need a stimulus payment nearly as much as others and that money is better spent to help those who are making less.

The people making the same money as before will more likely save the money like many have said here which will not stimulate the economy but add extra debt that eventually will have to be dealt with. If you are going to do helicopter money have it go to businesses and people directly effected by economic problems not to the wealthy where the bulk of the money is going. $600 a person is less that $10 billion. We have $900 billion in so called pandemic relief. Where is the rest going? Clearly the $600 is just to shut people up. How is a payment of barely 1% of the relief money really going to make much difference in the economy?

Old 12-24-2020, 07:22 AM

24,817 posts, read 9,583,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
It annoys me as well. I have not missed a pay check during Covid and there is no reason for increased government debt to give me money I do not deserve.
Then don't vote, politicians are going to do whatever they want regardless.

The poor get screwed because it's only $600, the rich get screwed with guilt because they didn't need it.

I knew Democrats would look like clowns when they all danced and celebrated during election weekend, failing to foresee the continued screwing our politicians would give us.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:24 AM

19,764 posts, read 12,329,407 times
If the only purpose is for us to spend it they should make it something like a gift card that expires if we don't use it within a certain period of time.

Last edited by tamajane; 12-24-2020 at 08:17 AM..

Old 12-24-2020, 07:30 AM

13,682 posts, read 20,832,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I don’t want to hear about orange man bad or mr magoo

Can someone explain why someone making close to what they made a year ago or better needs a government handout to survive?
Quite simply, the US Government is compelled to "do something." So they spend a ton of money, which is within their skill set.

What they cannot do, is conduct a means test for everyone in this country. Even if they tried, the rancor would be overwhelming and it would take too long.

So they simply grab a shovel and dole it out.

Makes sense from a certain, cynical perspective.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:06 AM

89,348 posts, read 45,091,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Giving money to poor people is unwise. They need to give it to us rich people so we can let it trickle down to the poors. And who knows? We might create some jobs if the poors and the government treat us right.
Let me guess... You, too, didn't comprehend what was really going on in the Robin Hood allegory?

Come on, people, it's not that hard. Robin hood was stealing money from the tax collectors (government) to give it back to the taxpayers. How do so many people NOT get that? Don't answer. We already know most of the US is stupid. /smh

Percent of 12th grade students of each race/ethnicity who are proficient or above, by race/ethnicity group:

Mathematics:

Overall: 26%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 33%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 12%
Hispanic: 12%
Black: 7%

Reading:

Overall: 38%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 47%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 26%
Hispanic: 23%
Black: 16%

National Assessment of Educational Progress - NAEP - 12th Grade Mathematics and Reading

And...

Quote:
"U.S. millennials performed horribly.

That might even be an understatement, given the extent of the American shortcomings. No matter how you sliced the data – by class, by race, by education – young Americans were laggards compared to their international peers. In every subject, U.S. millennials ranked at the bottom or very close to it, according to a new study by testing company ETS.

“We were taken aback,” said ETS researcher Anita Sands. “We tend to think millennials are really savvy in this area. But that’s not what we are seeing.”

...This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain.
The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.caf173a2db29

Let that sink in...

"But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies