Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 10:51 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,444,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I don’t want to hear about orange man bad or mr magoo

Can someone explain why someone making close to what they made a year ago or better needs a government handout to survive?
Because it is called a stimulus, and that is exactly what it is, to stimulate the economy, theory to get extra cash in people's hands, they go spend.

Those impacted financially via job loss have unemployment benefits for that, hence the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 10:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Or maybe you could spend that money on smokes, sex, gambling, lottery tickets, and drugs! People have needs and are free to make choices. Thus, regardless of how the money is spent, people will be helped.
Oh you can bet MANY people will spend part of that money on drugs!

So, its benefiting the drug cartels indirectly too...they will see $Millions extra. lol

Old 12-24-2020, 11:05 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,672,555 times
If I get a stimulus, I'm saving it. Having a decent emergency fund brought me peace of mind when I lost my main source of income in March. After 9 months of not working, I went back a couple of weeks ago. And, will spend the next couple of months rebuilding my nest egg. I believe in saving money. As we've learned from recent events, the government doesn't prioritize the needs of the American people.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:18 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,036,661 times
I'm not backing away from any "stimulus" check. I figure its long overdue back pay from my tour in vietnam.......

Old 12-24-2020, 04:18 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,425,925 times
because we paid the taxes.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:23 PM

10,992 posts, read 20,621,942 times
Frankly, I agree. I think we should take that pot and add it to that send to the unemployed or the families of those in the workforce, or parents, who were killed by Corona19.

The Treasury Secretary said that the blanket payments helped the economy the last time arround. I think it is more a matter of administration.

Old 12-24-2020, 05:12 PM

20,237 posts, read 9,149,661 times
Between 2 pensions and SS we're already getting $140K in yearly pension income. I owe nothing, already save 3K a month from those pensions and they want to give me more?....what a great country!

Old 12-24-2020, 05:18 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,481,806 times
Quote:

Can someone explain why someone making close to what they made a year ago or better needs a government handout to survive?
Honestly, no idea why. But I don’t get many other things as well. I don’t get why somebody making millions (in bonuses, on top of their salary) needs tax breaks. Why corporations with a market value exceeding $1T don’t pay any taxes at all...
I may have other questions, but I try to keep it short.

Old 12-24-2020, 05:26 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,481,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm on Social Security, I don't need it, and why are they sending me a check? To go spend it and stimulate the economy?
If you don’t need it, why not donate to those who desperately need it? There are millions in poverty in this super rich nation.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:02 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,175,430 times
Quote:

The US has this little thing called the Constitution, which contains these passages: “ ensure domestic Tranquility”; “promote the general Welfare”.

Billy! Pay attention! Stop huffing the paint!

Now, some smart gal named Merriam Webster defines “tranquillity” as “being free from agitation of mind” and the next big word “welfare” is defined as “the state of doing well especially in respect to good fortune, happiness, well-being, or prosperity.”

I hope this lesson has been illuminating for you Billy, here’s a shiny new penny, run off to the general store and buy yourself candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies